Social Asylum seeker says he was told Hamilton had more space than Toronto. Now he's one of many living in

Holy fuck, why have I never heard of this before? Just looked it up, they want to turn Toronto population into the size of Tokyo. How the fuck do you need to triple a population to deal with health care and pensions. That's insane. I've ridden both the Toronto subway system and the Tokyo subway system and good luck turning that lump of shit subway system in Toronto to something that will rival the one in Tokyo lol. I guess most people over the next few decades will not be expected to travel much away from their home.
It's very difficult as a contractor to get into Toronto and out at the end of the day. Your more or less going to have to live there If you want to compete. I won't miss it.

Send him/her/them to Yukon and north western territories of canada they seem to have a lot of space

I mean they - most of them - are incapable personally of demanding a doctor treat their sick child. They are fleeing a wretched ship and yeah, the west is the golden fleece and if I was in their shoes I'd be doing the same. Ultimately everyone wants a level of comfort in their short time on the planet. If it's offered elsewhere......I'd go tomorrow.
A couple of the guys I'm friends with were fairly well off it seems in their country of origin (at least, well off for there). I had a moment of levity with one when he said that his friend was a teacher back in the Phillipines and he makes more working at Tim Horton's than he ever would back home, and I said "brother, teachers arent making a whole lot here either!"

Or they could, you know, raise wages to a rate that attracts staff and perhaps prioritize bringing in immigrants that fill more pressing needs we are super short in like carpentry, plumbing, trades in general.

We have a current extreme housing crisis in almost every province and halifax nova scotia is one of the worst hit since all new canadians end up here. Cost of housing doubled in 3 years, as did cost of rent. Turns out, Bringing in 12000 more new Canadians a year to this little city when you only build 3000 units of living space a year isn't ideal. The new target is like to build 7500 a year in new units, but its been deemed impossible as we don't have the capability. Rent for a 2 bedroom apartment went from $1250 to $2400 a month very quickly. Vacancy is now at nearly 0% and we have tent cities popping up everywhere. 3 bedroom, no basement Houses that sold for $170000 in 2018 now sell for $410000 on my street and started doing so n 2020. It's absolute insanity and endless growth is impossible and we now have a huge bubble on the horizon.

Folks who have to renew a 2018 $170000-200000 this year felt the sting. But only to the tune of $300-$400 a month. Which still stings.
Folks who bought at 2% interest rates on a 5 year fixed on inflated $400000-$600000 houses are now seeing the looming 2025 renewal for their mortgage coming up at 6%. They need to figure out a way to make $1000-$1400 more per month just to make payments by 2025. It's not going to be pretty.

I had this conversation in the lounge 2 years ago with @irish_thug as I was talking myself into renewing in July 2021 at a 10 year at 3% rather than a 5 year at 2% because I was convinced I saw this coming. As it turns out, I'm on 3% till the early 2030's now and a bunch of folks told me I was crazy and that rates were not going to go up because Trudeau and Tiff Macklem said they wouldn't.

My gut on housing is usually right. Had I not followed it, I would be looking at $400 more a month starting in 2026. There is no way rates are going back to that record low anytime in the next 20 years

And I'm one of the lucky ones.
The only reason I didn't do the same as you is it wasn't an option at my bank. I locked a 2.89 for five. I am not looking forward to 2026.

And yeah, tent cities everywhere across the country.

The only reason I didn't do the same as you is it wasn't an option at my bank. I locked a 2.89 for five. I am not looking forward to 2026.

And yeah, tent cities everywhere across the country.
My bank refused initially as well(well, they said "we don't do more than 5 years"). When you get your mortgage broker buds to call and tell them dominion is offering 3% for a 10 year and and asking if they will match to keep it simple, and they realize you are going to move your money to another institution, all of the sudden its a possibility, but they strongly try to talk you out of it and try give you a worse rate for 10 years lol. They offered 2.1% on a 5 year, but I was in fuckthatshit mode and they relented and gave me my 10 year.

Every single fast food and cleaning job in halifax is taken by an immigrant now.

These folks were brought over to fill the need for easy labor. When they get here they are told their doctor training is no good and they have to start over because they don't meet western standards.

Immigration is now basically a tool to have non-white folks willingly come clean toilets so the government can "stop wage inflation"(I.e giving raises to make jobs appealing) all under the camouflage of "diversity "

It's a step above slave labor

One just needs to look at some of the businesses getting foreign worker exemptions.

Cooke Aquaculture, a billion dollar company... But can't afford to pay employees a living wage so they bring in TFWs. Lululemon gets a tfw exemption, cause people in Canada can't make yoga pants I guess?

Irving and McCain also use temp foreign workers. Two of the richest families in Canada.

Back