Audio Orbital's Ten Minute Reviews: 9/20 - Opeth - Sorceress

I was away for a little while, went on a trip, but now I'm back and prepping a review. I should have the first one done tonight. I'll knock out a series of these.

I'm still taking requests.

Ok, my next review should be posted tomorrow. It's going to be about the new Radiohead album that just came out of nowhere, A Moon Shaped Pool.

radiohead a moon shaped pool.jpg

5/10: Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

Genre: Art Rock, Radiohead
Release Date: 5/8/16

This album came out of nowhere and shocked me. It's good to see that the band still has a lot of life left in their veins. The best words I can use to describe this album are "hauntingly beautiful." The band's use of strings and a choir added a whole new level of depth and power to this album that caught me completely off guard. I was very impressed with this album.

Rating: 14/15

Went on a sudden trip and will post the next review on Monday.

5/16: Perihelion Ship - A Rare Thunderstorm in Spring

Genre: Progressive Death Metal
Release Date: 5/10/16

This album did not work for me on the first listen, but then I came back to it a few days later and found a whole lot of good with it. It borders on death metal at times, so that can take away from it for non-death fans, but they bring it back by incorporating the Hammond B3 Organ throughout the album. This band has some clear Opeth influences, and it was a decent album that grew on me with multiple listens.

Rating: 12/15

Going to check some of these out. don't know most of them even though i recognize some of the names.

The story about the most recent review is an interesting one. I'm on the road right now but I'll be home in a few hours and will tell it. And I'll give a hint on my next review as well.

As a brief teaser, the album I will review tomorrow is by a musician that I grew up with, who released this album over the weekend. A mixture of his own material and some covers of songs of his era that he enjoyed, this album features an appearance from a secret musician whose identity is a closely guarded secret.

5/23/16: Eric Clapton - I Still Do

At 71 years of age, Eric Clapton is firmly in his comfort zone now with this new album, which features his first new music since his 2010 album Clapton. This album is a bluesy mix of cover songs and his own music, and it's easy to picture him kicking back and relaxing with a guitar in hand playing this light and smooth music.

Genre: Blues, Rock
Release Date: 5/20/16
Rating: 11/15

I'm taking requests on the next album to review. I have a couple irons in the fire but if any of you would like me to write about a new album, feel free to suggest it and I'll give it a listen.

Has anyone ever heard of the musician Flume? How about the band The Claypool Lennon Delirium? What about Frost*?

I was just reading about The Claypool Lennon Delirium yesterday and I'm a bit intrigued.

I was just reading about The Claypool Lennon Delirium yesterday and I'm a bit intrigued.
Originally, my review today was going to be about that album, but I ran into a big one that I'll go into shortly.

I may actually write two reviews this week, as the album I intended to write about got trumped by a surprise.

5/31/16: Frost* - Falling Satellites

This album was cool. I use this particular word because this album impressed me through its diversity and ambition. It went from pop to rock to prog to a little metal to dub step. What? Dub step? Yep, you'd have to hear it to believe it, too.

Genre: Progressive Rock, Neo-Progressive
Release Date: 5/27/16
Rating: 13/15

You guys are getting a two-for-one this week with a bonus review! It will be posted soon.

6/3/16: The Claypool Lennon Delirium - Monolith of Phobos

This unlikely recently-announced team-up between Les Claypool of Primus fame and Sean Lennon, the son of John Lennon and Yoko, made a lot of the music world wonder what was about to happen. As a result, they gave us an album that sounds an awful lot like if Primus and the Beatles made an album together. It's unusual, yet engaging. This album, more than anything, proves once again how phenomenal Les Claypool is on the bass guitar. The review contains four tracks posted by the band, as well as a stream of the whole album on Rolling Stone.

Genre: Psychedelic Rock
Release Date: 6/3/16
Rating: 11/15

Last edited:
Working on finding a good new album to write about this week. I only have one significant release so far, because a lot of bands are dropping releases in two weeks.

Back