Australia: NSW and WA Police Finally Allowed to Kill Terrorists *BEFORE* Hostages Are Murdered

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Long story short: Under the current “Contain and Negotiate” doctrine used in the Lindt Cafe terror attack, Australian police snipers could have taken down the terrorist walking back and forth in their sight anytime, but instead they had to wait more than 16 hours until the first hostage is executed first before they can shoot-to-kill.

That will soon be changed when the new terrorism law takes effect in NSW.

----
New South Wales Police who shoot terrorists dead will be protected by new laws

7529406-3x2-460x307.jpg

The NSW Government will introduce laws by the end of the month to ensure police are legally protected if they pre-emptively shoot a terrorist dead.

The changes were prompted by the coronial findings into the 2014 Lindt Cafe siege, which were handed down last month.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the Government would accept and support all 45 recommendations. Some recommendations were that police be given extra powers.

The NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said police already have the power to shoot a terrorist dead in the circumstance like the recent London and Melbourne terrorist attacks.

But he said there was a grey area around whether snipers during the Lindt Cafe siege would have had the legal ability to use lethal force before gunman Man Haron Monis had harmed any hostages.

Despite police snipers being positioned at three positions overlooking the cafe, they never fired.

Under the new legislation, the commissioner would be able to declare such an event a terrorist incident, which would authorise officers to take a pre-emptive kill-shot.

"I have to declare a terrorist incident first so it is not any every day power," Mr Fuller said.

Ms Berejiklian said previously announced legislation to tighten parole criminals with links to terrorism will also be introduced in the next session of Parliament.

"NSW will continue to have the toughest counter-terrorism laws in the country and we will now give our police clear protections if they need to use lethal force against terrorists," Ms Berejiklian said.

Police to get semi-automatic weapons

Mr Fuller also confirmed public order and riot squad police would be given military style semi-automatic weapons by the end of the year.

He said the exact type of weapon was yet to be decided as a tender process was underway.

Mr Fuller said at the moment he did not see the need for officers to be patrolling the streets with weapons as seen in London and Paris.

"It doubles our capability overnight in terms of our long-arm ability to respond to an incident."

Police Minister Troy Grant acknowledged some members of the public may be alarmed by the sight of the weapons.

"People may be confronted by it but I think the community ... understand this is the changed circumstances that we are in," Mr Grant said.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...ice-shoot-terrorists-dead/8600618?pfmredir=sm

Last edited:
Good.

Surprised they never had the authority to begin with.

So the police will now get semi-automatic weapons?

What were they using previously? Slingshots and boomerangs?

<45>

Australia has got perhaps the best police in the world.
Its about time they get some rights and protection from constant scrutiny

Poor Muslim immigrants. All they want is a little bit of revenge for the horrible stuff Australia has done to them. Can't you just accept jihad?

How controversial can it be to say that taking someone hostage justifies lethal force all by itself?

Wait. What?

They have to sit around until an innocent person gets murdered? My Aussie buddies are bad ass awesome guys. I have to tease the shit out of these Sissy La La's for this one.

How controversial can it be to say that taking someone hostage justifies lethal force all by itself?

Apparently a lot of people believe in negotiating with terrorists, on the rationale that hostages might get hurt in a police tactical assault.

Sydney siege: Should we negotiate with terrorist hostage-takers?

Clearly not every terrorist hostage-taker will be open to hostage negotiations. But everything we know from psychology tells us that some of them might be.

We owe it to the hostages, their families, our frontline police and other responders — as well as our broader liberal democratic ideals — to do everything we can to give it a go.

Not me though, I say head-shot right off the bat once it's confirmed to be a virgin seeker.

Last edited:
I head that the 2nd Commando Regiment had a team just a block over ready to rock and roll, but because they couldn't officially classify the incident at the time as a terrorist attack, they had to leave it to the Police Tactical wing, who are more used to serving warrants against bikers.

The 2CDO and the SASR have been running drills on this stuff for decades, taking lessons from Delta, SEALs, GIGN, GSG-9. Giving the police the tools and knowledge to better handle these situations is a good idea but for me, a better idea would be to open up the military toolkit where all this stuff is sitting there ready to go.

I know in the US, Posse Comitatus is important in limiting the powers of the government, but over here, the government had already instituted a nanny state, where we're not allowed to even assault home intruders. Why don't we get the other side of the government intervention coin as well?

@Devout Pessimist

This is what I was talking about. Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Further proof that this form of liberalism is a mental disorder. The fact that you had idiots arguing in favor of 'negotiate' with terrorists to the degree that you can't kill those who have hostages until they kill a hostage is fucking absurd.

Wait. What?

They have to sit around until an innocent person gets murdered? My Aussie buddies are bad ass awesome guys. I have to tease the shit out of these Sissy La La's for this one.

I take it you weren't around when we had the PBP discussion?

You can try to dig up that thread. It may be long, but the bulk of it was just people yawning and asking "Anything Yet?!" in exasperation several hours into the siege. About the only happy part is when a group of hostages gave up on the police and busted their own way out of the back door.

The subsequent investigation revealed that the snipers in position were afraid that they would be charged with murder under Australian laws if they blow the terrorist's head off before any hostages was harmed, and that didn't happen until the next day, when hostage Tori Johnson was forced to kneel down and publicly executed with a shot to the head.

Here's what his parents think about that:

---

Lindt Cafe siege: Families of the hostages who died criticise police handling of the deadly incident

8542102-3x2-460x307.jpg

Tori Johnson was the manager at the Lindt Cafe in Martin Place.

The families of Tori Johnson and Katrina Dawson have spoken for the first time of their anger at police tactics on the day of the Sydney siege.

Speaking exclusively to Four Corners, they said they were devastated to hear during the inquest that police had only planned to go into the Lindt Cafe if gunman Man Haron Monis killed or seriously injured a hostage.

"I can't forgive people for that trigger," said Rosie Connellan, Tori's mother.

"I'll never be able understand how you can make a calculated decision that you wait for someone to die. It's just beyond me."

The decision by police to storm the cafe came only after Tori was shot and killed by Monis.

In the preceding minutes, Monis had forced Tori at gunpoint to kneel in front of him.

At the start of the inquest, Ms Connellan believed the role of police in the events leading to her son's death was straightforward.

"We thought that Monis had killed Tori and it was relatively simple: the police had done everything possible and that was it," she said.

But the evidence that emerged at the inquest proved shocking for the families.

"As it unfolded it was just, it was horrific. Every day we thought: 'This can't get worse', and every day it got worse — what was coming out in evidence," Ms Connellan said.

Listening to multiple accounts of her son's execution by Monis was harrowing.

"Every time they reached that last 10 minutes, I had the same physical reactions and I was just so aware of the fact that Tori was still alive at that moment — it was almost like I was stepping back in time to that night every single day of the inquest listening to that," she said.

Tori's partner of 14 years, Thomas Zinn, said he had lost faith in the police.

"I have no trust because of the great level of incompetence that has been revealed," Mr Zinn said.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...hostages-criticise-police/8541928?pfmredir=sm

Last edited:
This is a bad idea. If police officers are better trained in using a soothing tone to shower terrorists with affirmations and loving speech, then the terrorists will feel good about themselves and have the desire to love instead of hate. #LoveWins

This is a bad idea. If police officers are better trained in using a soothing tone to shower terrorists with affirmations and loving speech, then the terrorists will feel good about themselves and have the desire to love instead of hate. #LoveWins
Just send in the Care Bears. That'll learn em!

So the police will now get semi-automatic weapons?

What were they using previously? Slingshots and boomerangs?

<45>
Hows about they give law abiding citizens the right to own semi-autos, pump actions and easier access to handguns and the basic right to use a firearm in selfdefence. Gun (firearm) is a dirty word down here that people are scared of

If someone is fucked up in the head enough to take a hostage they are not somebody who the police can rely upon in good faith, and they have essentially voided all their rights. That is a situation in which the hostage taker can expect zero concessions in any manner. Hopefully Australian police are legally free to exercise their discretion.

We just have to play Katy Perry songs. The terrorist will see her love. Unity for all! Open borders solves everything!

Love trumps hate!

What was the demands of this particular Jihadist that he needed hostages? Free some prisoners in Syria?

I read some articles and they didn't say shit. All I read was that he had 43 sexual assault charges, notifies to authorities for terrorism 41 times and was still free to walk the streets.

Maximum Cuck government. Too scared to be called racist they kid gloves on jihadists, but this is what I expect nowadays from UK/Commonwealth countries.

Back