Battling major depression and S/I

Sounds interesting. Any websites you'd recommend for further reading?

was this addressed to me?

if you just search "mindfulness" and "american psychological association," all sorts of things will come up im sure. its now an empirically validated treatment in the mental health community, and is being used as an alternative to pills.

and its not magical shit. it makes perfect sense as to why it would be beneficial for all sorts of things. all mindfulness meditation is, is very regimented relaxation (my take on it). it helps you slow down and become more metacognitive. you notice and pay attention to your own thoughts and emotions more. since you notice them more, youre more able to do something about them. as for depression....many people have good reason to be sad, but that isnt really what depression is. its irrational thoughts that make you sad. most people who have tough lives will also pile on all sorts of other thoughts that arent true, and just make things even worse. with meditation, you start to notice these, and can decide that theyre bs, and move on.

i got into it mostly through podcasts, but now i mainly use that "insight timer" app. though, i hear for beginners, "headspace" is a great app.

Back