• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rumored Ben Askren Out Of Retirement Set To Box Jake Paul

If I had to box Ben Askren I would not be very worried. I trained at boxing clubs for a few years and did a little light sparring here and there but I never had an actual fight. Where I would not rank my skills very highly I know that he does not have the skills to hurt me. His boxing skills and power are the absolute worst I have seen in mma.
Dude I swear to god I had better boxing than Askren after just boxing for a few weeks learning how to punch and hold stance/ guard. Dude can't even punch right. I was the worst athlete in my school and I swear me with 2 weeks of boxing training KOs Askren.

Guy was born with like 200% wrestling ability and -500% striking points. Kinda like Matt Hughes haha. Some guys are just like that. I'm 10% wrestling and 10% striking, terrible, I'm absolutely terrible. Yet superpunch wins in round 1 via brutal KO.

It was a really close fight hence why he pretty much gave up on striking. I can kinda see why he'd be frustrated since he spent a year dedicating himself to learning striking with a legitimate coach only to revert back to his wrestling which deteriorated slightly thus resulting in a close fight. I guess the way Ben's body operates he's just born to grapple, he feels comfortable doing it and he has natural strength. When it comes to striking he doesn't appear to have any explosion, speed, timing, or concept of how to land strikes.
This. He is so gifted at grappling, despite his body which is far from Mark Kerr in his prime, he was a far better wrestler! This is a killer on the mat, 2 time division 1 ncaa champ and an Olympian! It was so hard for me to digest seeing him spinning back fist like a girl with palsy when I used to watch him embarrass the nations best on the wrestling mat. That being said, he still beats jake Paul! War askren

Ben is getting slept on. Askren marked up Maia, who was slapping Colby a bit when fresh. Colby destroyed Tyron Woodley. Woodley has knocked out guys like Robbie, and beat Wonderboy twice. Askren makes it look easy, there's levels to fighting, and he's the ex bellator world champ, who smashed Lima, a guy who KOd MVP stiff. Askren is up there with the Wonderboys and MVPs compared to John Paul

I don't even mind seeing this lol

It's not like Askren was some world beater in the UFC. This is more of a chance to redeem himself in the public eye in terms of how he's remembered as a fighter
Except he won’t.

Agreed, why not Masvidal?

He'd get a big payday, a lot of publicity, and he'd only need like two days training lol.

So far, he’s only accepted fights against people who are at a critical disadvantage against him. He’ll never fight anyone remotely close to his size.

Askren is going to win. I know sherdog hates him, but the fact is is that he never tried to improve his standup. He was always focused on his wrestling. Give him a couple of months training only boxing and he kicks the shit out of Paul.

My worry is that he is too cocky to think he even needs to do a cardio workout much less take a couple of boxing classes

GSP was outboxing Shields decisively until Jake did one of the most flagrant eye pokes in MMA history. Shields did outland Tyron Woodley with his pitter patter striking, though...enough to win a decision.
GSP admitted to his corner he couldn't see out of that eye, you could definitely see a drastic difference in him after that eye gauge.

Someone will probably say you don't need both eyes to strike effectively and bring up Bisping, but that's different because he was use to that eye injury, he trained with only one good eye. When a fighter just loses vision in one eye during a fight they always struggle just like GSP did.

Reactions: mkt
I honestly don’t know how this will turn out.

Odds favor Jake beating the crap out of him, but I’d be curious to see what Ben looks like if he focused 100% on boxing.

Ben may have been hand picked to be a mismatch, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he threw a monkey wrench into their plans by being difficult or awkward.

If this was MMA sure Ben would tool this social media diva. Being this is boxing and Ben is one of the worst strikers on MMA of all time. We are about to get embarrassed sherbros.

Askren feels like he has nothing to lose anymore it seems.

Give him a couple of months training only boxing and he kicks the shit out of Paul.

That's fucking illegal.

id917932200

Ben is a pro Mma fighter who can’t punch for shit... any ammt boxer is Going to kick his ass in a boxing match. Jake actually seems to have decent boxing skills judging by his videos

wait wait.. is this actually happening? Not in a BOXING match right? I mean Askren has probably one of the worst boxing of the whole ROSTER.. o cmon!

I feel his flash ko against Maz influences the perception of his skill quite a lot. My money’s on him.

Its not a bad fight from a money making pov. Askren can cut a decent promo by UFC standards so should help hype the fight a bit, he will get beat but this sets up future fights for Jake against mma fighters nicely, maybe feed him Nate next and if he gets past him it sets up a huge fight with Conor.

Askren will beat Paul in a boxing match, I don’t know how this youtube guy is being genuinely rated by fans of MMA.

Askren is going to win. I know sherdog hates him, but the fact is is that he never tried to improve his standup. He was always focused on his wrestling. Give him a couple of months training only boxing and he kicks the shit out of Paul.
Considering how bad he looks after actually training for years its not like he will get better in 2 months, he might win but the odds look acceptable for a boxing match.

Back