• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rumored Ben Askren Out Of Retirement Set To Box Jake Paul

I got to hand it to him, this is some genius cherry picking by Paul.

On paper, he's gonna dominantly knock out a 'real' fighter, and 99% of the viewers won't realise Askren had the worst striking of any elite fighter in recent memory.

Calling Askren an "Elite Fighter" is a very generous thing of you to say GOATSKREN

Reactions: mkt
Askren feels like he has nothing to lose anymore it seems.
I have to assume he'll be getting serious bucks for the match. It may be his best way to cash in. (I don't know how well paid he was during his career.)

Hope my book gets this line up soon. I'll take Askren at plus odds for sure. No way Paul KO's him. Ben by UD.

I agree with everything you just said except for the part of him makin Maia look good on the feet. He was actually getting the better of Maia on the feet to my utter amazement.
This is true. It didn't look pretty, but it was effective.

Love Ben but his striking is astronomically terrible.

I really hope Askren can beat this muppet so we can all laugh at the worst striker in MMA showing him there are levels to this. I’m not confident tho! At least he gets paid but like many sherbros no fucking way I’m paying for it.

The only fighter I know of that he called out his size is Bisping and he's retired. If one of these cherry picks goes wrong it'll be that one.

Mike would set a high pace and pressure him. I reckon jake would have a couple of rounds to land something big, before he gets overwhelmed. Bispings chin is shot, that would be his only chance imo. And that’s unlikely

Mike would set a high pace and pressure him. I reckon jake would have a couple of rounds to land something big, before he gets overwhelmed. Bispings chin is shot, that would be his only chance imo. And that’s unlikely
Come on jonny, a dazed basketball player getting starched looked a lot more impressive than it actually was. Zero chance of Mike getting ko'd.

Listen gang, there's a simple explanation for the Jake Paul predictions that isn't rooted in recency bias. Ben has no athletic or boxing ability, no physical tools or attributes at his disposal besides toughness and questionable durability (at this point), no foundation for striking of any kind, zero competitive experience in boxing, he's the inferior athlete by nearly every measure, he's much older, recently retired, he's been knocked into Bolivia before, and is the naturally smaller man. He also just had a hip replacement and the vlogger is the one who picked him likely for all the reasons listed.

In other words he's the very definition of a stiff that never learned how to properly strike and that won't change between now and March. He relied exclusively on his wrestling and the threat of the takedown to avoid getting knocked out regularly in MMA competition. That's all well and good but in a boxing match inside the ring that TD threat doesn't exist to make his striking seem more effective than it actually is. And those goofy backfists & spinning backfists of his, which were completely ineffective in the cage, aren't even legal in boxing.

The vlogger takes him out, probably in violent fashion, and does it early. It'll be with a big right hand over the top as that's his best shot. It's not that the vlogger is good, it's just that he's better than Ben at boxing.

Come on jonny, a dazed basketball player getting starched looked a lot more impressive than it actually was. Zero chance of Mike getting ko'd.

I don’t really disagree. But, bisping isn’t a boxer and he is 40s now. his chin will be a lot more delicate than it used to be. I’d give him a very remote punchers chance, but it’s very likely he gets overwhelmed within a few rounds.

I’d actually watch that fight. If these youtubers want to play at boxing/fighting, they should at least fight guys their size

Last edited:
I don’t really disagree. But, bisping isn’t a boxer and he is 40s now. his chin will be a lot more delicate than it used to be. I’d give him a very remote punchers chance, but it’s very likely he gets overwhelmed within a few rounds.

I’d actually watch that fight. If these youtubers want to play at boxing, they should at least fight guys their size
Yeah, remember when mma fighters thought ping was an easy out? Seems these dorks are making the same mistake.

The Luke Rockhold fight is a personal favourite of mine! He was so f kin Leary and arrogant in the build up, only to get first round ktfo, by pillow fists
One of my favorite moments in UFC history. Even did a breakdown on it in the heavies (my first and last there). The lead up was hilarious when Rockhold told Bisping that he was "just an average bloke" and when Bisping told him to STFU with the "believe it, achieve it" crap. Then during the fight Bisping transformed into Left Hook Larry and knocked him the fuck out lol.
<28>

Jake takes this boxing match via Jorge-esque flying knee.

Here's the thing I'm thinking on this.

Askren is intelligent. Yes he's cocky etc etc but generally speaking he is smart. I think he knows something we don't, about his ability to go decent rounds with decent boxers in training in the past.

The dude knows fighting and he's smart. Possibly he's only accepting for money but I think he wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El Diego
Back