Best footwork in the game apart from TJ??

I’m torn. I’m not sure if he was that slippery because of his footwork or due to his speed and great head movement.
Yea I'm no expert at all. Just looked smooth as shit to me. I think what was more impressive was that Cruz's footwork just looked like a show that Cody was impressed by. No matter how much Cruz moved, Cody was always in a position to counter easily.

Not true at all. Who has Jon Jones copied? Conor? Machida? The list goes on

Machida literally fights in the same style as every karate fighter ever. Have you never seen a karate match before?

Machida literally fights in the same style as every karate fighter ever. Have you never seen a karate match before?
The point is flying over your head. Of course he will look like other karate fighters because that is his background. My point is he didn’t copy a particular mma fighter’s style and used it as his own. If I’m wrong, please post the name of the fighter whose style he copied.

Yea I'm no expert at all. Just looked smooth as shit to me. I think what was more impressive was that Cruz's footwork just looked like a show that Cody was impressed by. No matter how much Cruz moved, Cody was always in a position to counter easily.
That’s true. I would need to rewatch the fight but I mainly remember him ducking and using head movement to set up his countershots. Not to mention he was much faster than Cruz.

Besides TJ? He literally copied Cruz’s style...
They don't fight anything alike. They move similarly outside of engagement range but when they are actually fighting they are very very different fighters.

They don't fight snythany alike. They move similarly outside of engagement range but when they are actually fighting they are very very different fighters.
Tj is significantly more dangerous. He uses way more tools than Cruz.

You cant have a footwork thread without this reminder
16yr Micheal Tyson
HeartfeltDesertedBoa-size_restricted.gif

My pick is TJ overall, Conor, Wonderboy, and Machida for the in and out distance game. Bobby Knucks has pretty good footwork as does DJ and Cruz too.

Most underrated/overlooked footwork is Eddie Wineland. That dude at his best was a fantastic MMA boxer.

That’s true. I would need to rewatch the fight but I mainly remember him ducking and using head movement to set up his countershots. Not to mention he was much faster than Cruz.
Yea I don't have the expertise to dissect it all.

I mean, shit like this is obvious head movement...
6Akp.gif

But shit like this is a combination of a lot of things...
garbrandt-drop-counter-comp.gif

Tj is significantly more dangerous. He uses way more tools than Cruz.

Cruz likes the jab to lateral dart, TJ likes to v step into the pocket more. TJ training with Loma is going to make him even better.

Cruz is almost always moving away while striking whereas TJ is almost always finding range, then an angle, then planting for power. It's why he's Cody's kryptonite. Cody is extremely hittable when he is throwing the second and third punch of a combo, right when TJ is angling in and turning to land a power hook.

Conor.

He knows exactly where he needs to be to strike.
True but I mean isn’t that more positioning ? Obvs I know they tie in together because you need good footwork to advance to advantageous positions
My pick is TJ overall, Conor, Wonderboy, and Machida for the in and out distance game. Bobby Knucks has pretty good footwork as does DJ and Cruz too.

Most underrated/overlooked footwork is Eddie Wineland. That dude at his best was a fantastic MMA boxer.
agree with every single word, TJ is number 1 regardless of all the people that are gonna say he copied Cruz, I’m talking about execution and efficiency in moving and position using footwork. Not where they learned it from, TJ Moves his feet in ways that footballers cannot

True but I mean isn’t that more positioning ? Obvs I know they tie in together because you need good footwork to advance to advantageous positions

Not when you are using footwork to get there.

Conor's footwork is more about setting traps and then countering when he's in the right spot, but you have to have phenomenal footwork to put yourself in bad spots on purpose.

It's less active footwork than say TJ or Edgar, and he used it towards a different game plan, but it's still footwork.

For big guys both Mitrione and Fedor have pretty good footwork.

Back