Best Judo throws to KO or wind the oppponent (why Judo still beats BJJ and most other styles)

Good choice. Osoto Gari is brutal for sure.

View attachment 459797
View attachment 459799

Lol, my old Sensei once told us a story about Osoto Gari. Something like this:
"In the days of the Samurai, osoto gari would be done so the front hand palms the opponents nose or jaw, and then the back of his skull is cracked when he lands on the floor".

Definately good for the instant KO if done right.

Broke a bullies collar bone in the first week of 7th grade at a new school with Tomoe Nage after reading about it in a Hardy Boys novel. They described the Kazushi really well and it worked perfectly. He shoved me, I shoved back and pushed till I felt him bearing down to counter and reversed to a pull and dropped.
Dad picked me up from the principles office and after I explained how it happened and was like "Off to Pee Wee Judo with you!" "You're going pull shit like that, you're going to learn how to do it right and the discipline not to send kids to the hospital"
Scary part is I screwed up and threw to the side. I was trying to throw him straight over on to the pavement, I had no technique so it didn't break his neck thank god!
Judo on non carefully padded floors breaks bones.
Judo rules!

judo as a sport = throwing people so their back hits the ground first
judo as self defense = throwing people so their head hits the ground first

I would say for self defence it gives you the option to scale your attack. Throwing someone on their head on concrete has a good chance to seriously concuss or kill them, so not a good idea in most cases. Remember most deaths in street fights are accidental when the guy gets knocked out and his head hits the floor when he drops. Throwing them with force would be even worse. A hard slam on their back will be enough to do it.

From my experience people who have never trained a grappling art are very easy to throw. Even 'big' guys like 200+ pounds it is really nothing to use leverage to throw them, boxers, kickboxers etc are usually quite helpless against this if you get in close.

Judo is really the only grappling art you can use against multiple attackers as you can easily throw or sweep someone and remain standing to take on the next guy.
Alot of the time though simply roughing them up or using a standing hold like a guilotine/ front face lock or standing arm triangle would do nicely if it is 1 on 1, and here again Judo excels in the standing grappling and control department compared to for example BJJ.

So yes, if it is very serious and your against someone much larger, or your getting your ass kicked standing against a striker and it is hard to get the standing sub, or there is more than one opponent in a self defence situation then by all means Osoto gari the mofo and most likely he will be out cold or winded/hurt. However be prepared he may get badly injured, even here you may want to reduce the force you use and practice to aim so the back or upper back hits not the back of the head.

Last edited:
Kawazu gake on cement can kill someone. or KO yourself if you land improperly.

Ura Nage

Uchi mata/harai goshi etc

Osoto.

Probably the most applicable for most judoka to deliver on the streets of lava.

I would say for self defence it gives you the option to scale your attack. Throwing someone on their head on concrete has a good chance to seriously concuss or kill them, so not a good idea in most cases. Remember most deaths in street fights are accidental when the guy gets knocked out and his head hits the floor when he drops. Throwing them with force would be even worse. A hard slam on their back will be enough to do it.

From my experience people who have never trained a grappling art are very easy to throw. Even 'big' guys like 200+ pounds it is really nothing to use leverage to throw them, boxers, kickboxers etc are usually quite helpless against this if you get in close.

Judo is really the only grappling art you can use against multiple attackers as you can easily throw or sweep someone and remain standing to take on the next guy.
Alot of the time though simply roughing them up or using a standing hold like a guilotine/ front face lock or standing arm triangle would do nicely if it is 1 on 1, and here again Judo excels in the standing grappling and control department compared to for example BJJ.

So yes, if it is very serious and your against someone much larger, or your getting your ass kicked standing against a striker and it is hard to get the standing sub, or there is more than one opponent in a self defence situation then by all means Osoto gari the mofo and most likely he will be out cold or winded/hurt. However be prepared he may get badly injured, even here you may want to reduce the force you use and practice to aim so the back or upper back hits not the back of the head.

This is why I prefer body shots if I have to strike someone in a street fight. They'll double up but still be conscious, so less chance of them splitting their head open when they hit the ground. RNC is more difficult to apply, but even safer, as I can just put the schmuck in the recovery position once he's out.

My instructor worked as a bouncer, and his go-to move was Thai leg kicks. He could drop most people with one shot, and they were in too much pain to continue fighting. But there weren't any serious injuries. So no police involvement;)

What?

What??

people who've never been kicked in the leg have the most precious reactions to being kicked in the leg.

One of the most overlooked aspects of Judo is that unlike other grappling arts the majority of its throws are designed for you to remain standing, where you can choose to go to the ground or just put the boot in.
The ippon rule win simulates this. The soft mats are there for safety but hide the true devastating and fight ending potential of these throws. Take a high level pure Judo blackbelt or good wrestler vs a pure BJJ blackbelt and let them spar on a wooden floor - I know who I'm betting on.

With that said, what are opinions on the best Judo throws/sweeps or wrestling takedowns/supplex that would have the most potential to KO or badly wind the opponent on a harder surface (hard mats or no mats), and added technical points on driving the opponent so hard into the ground the fight is over there.

Khabib has a highlight reel of these. He just dumps mofo's on their heads.

Also, O Soto Gari.

Also, Nick Denis has a choke slam KO win in mma.

Last edited:
people who've never been kicked in the leg have the most precious reactions to being kicked in the leg.

I have been kicked in the legs. By experts. And it's still feels fucking horrible when it happens:)

Uki goshi (I think that’s the one) creates loads of velocity as the opponent rotates as you pull them over your hip. Always lands hard.

Lol, my old Sensei once told us a story about Osoto Gari. Something like this:
"In the days of the Samurai, osoto gari would be done so the front hand palms the opponents nose or jaw, and then the back of his skull is cracked when he lands on the floor".
In the "days of the Samurai", the other guy would have pulled your hair to break your structure, then shanked you or broke your fingers or something. Hence JJJ looks very different from modern Judo and more like European medieval grappling.

Try it out in sparring sometimes if you or your partner have hair. Yank the hair at the right moment and Osoto Gari isn't possible anymore, following the old wrestling rule "where the head goes, the body follows".

It is like a ipon seo nage but she controlled both sleeves which meant Renato did not have the usual free arm to breakfall .Hence, it looked very painful.
Sode tsurikomi goshi.

It's my least favorite throw to be uke for.

Uki goshi (I think that’s the one) creates loads of velocity as the opponent rotates as you pull them over your hip. Always lands hard.
It can create a lot of velocity, but you might as well just use harai goshi if you're doing uki goshi. That way you get extra power on top of that.

Drop morote.

Can't believe it has not been mentioned so far.

I have seen a few drop-morote merchants that could devastate people if they had bad intentions on concrete...

btw @lechien part of my, and most judoka's, apprehension about sode tsurikomi goshi isn't necessarily that it's a hard fall to take. It is also in the fact that you're completely at your tori's mercy. If tori doesn't fully commit, or one of you zigs when you should be zagging, you're risking some sort of cervical spine injury.

Not having that free arm to help with the fall is inherently scary.

Back