BJ Penn was truly something special

such a dumb argument. HW is the only division where as the guys get bigger the fights get easier. All the best HW's have been between 244-260lbs in their prime. That is where Fedor was. As you fight the bigger guys you are actually almost always getting easier fights. If you doubt that name the top 5 HW's and their prime weights.

Imagine if when Brock came into the UFC he only fought guys 50Lbs or heavier than him. Shertards like you would say ZOMG what a beast,he only fights bigger guys when in fact he would be ducking his toughest fights of guys around 245-260lbs.
You´re obviously new in this shit, but this is how it works, and it has always been like this b4 MMA, in boxing.

Guys like SRR or Hank have always been considered "titans" in the boxing world, and even ATGs like Ali can hardly compete with them on ATGs lists...

Mostly coz they competed in tougher eras, and coz they D2BG (in Ali´s words) going up and challenging themselves against legit heavier champs.

Its the same in MMA.

If u dont understand this, I cant help u.

Big deal. What did No Rush do except BS TDs & his classical L&P?

What is funny indeed is that GSP fans are so retarded that they would never admit anything against their hero.

U thought No Rush won? No probz. Others felt the opposite. Doesnt mean they or u are wrong. Only means it was potentially controversial.

Can u understand this?
You really should not talk about a fight you do not know and did not watch. And if you did watch did not understand.

Do you know what fight metrics are as you should look them up. GSP had a big advantage in the following areas

- significant strikes 59 to 37.
- strikes to head 38 to 28
- Leg kicks 14 to 1
- distance strikes (or standing) 46 to 28
- ground 6 to 0

Bj had a minor advantage in

- Clinch strikes 9 to 7
- Body shots 8 to 7

And GSP had 4 td's and BJ had 1.

So there is no realistic way based on what actually happened in the fight to suggest BJ won and that is why there was zero controversy after the win.

(this is where you ignore all that with some BS excuse)

hmmm... u must have repeated 5 or 6 times this "such a dumb argument." in this thread...

U understand that people can have different views, right?
Sure but they can also be dumb views. As your posts prove.

Do you deny that all the best fighters at HW have been in that 245lbs to 260lbs range and that competition generally got easier when you fought the much bigger guys? What does the current HW champ weigh and do you not think guys like Prime Cain, Prime JDS and Prime Fedor and Prime Nog would have been tougher fights than the guys 50+ lbs heavier?

You´re obviously new in this shit, but this is how it works, and it has always been like this b4 MMA, in boxing.

Guys like SRR or Hank have always been considered "titans" in the boxing world, and even ATGs like Ali can hardly compete with them on ATGs lists...

Mostly coz they competed in tougher eras, and coz they D2BG (in Ali´s words) going up and challenging themselves against legit heavier champs.

Its the same in MMA.

If u dont understand this, I cant help u.
I understand and that is a big part of the reason why GSP only surpassed Fedor in poll after poll when he took that MW belt. It was a huge accomplishment as you point out especially when you add it to one of the most dominant divisional runs in the history of MMA.

You really should not talk about a fight you do not know and did not watch. And if you did watch did not understand.

Do you know what fight metrics are as you should look them up. GSP had a big advantage in the following areas

- significant strikes 59 to 37.
- strikes to head 38 to 28
- Leg kicks 14 to 1
- distance strikes (or standing) 46 to 28
- ground 6 to 0

Bj had a minor advantage in

- Clinch strikes 9 to 7
- Body shots 8 to 7

And GSP had 4 td's and BJ had 1.

So there is no realistic way based on what actually happened in the fight to suggest BJ won and that is why there was zero controversy after the win.

(this is where you ignore all that with some BS excuse)
Big deal. Numbers like these dont always tell the true story of a fight.

1st of all, instead of calling others´ arguments, like in this thread, several times, "dumb arguments", you should try to educate yourself, about legacies, ATGs and potential GOATs.

This fight was considered controversial for many reasons, doesnt mean you are right or wrong, or that those who had a different opinion than yours are right or wrong. Doesnt mean your argument is "dumb".

You´re an idiot coz you cant analyze without considering potential different views than yours.

I admit your opinion (that No Rush won) as a valid one, but the way I see it, this fight was potentially controversial and is historically indeed considered one. Some people saw the opposite, and the fact that u cant acknowledge it shows that u are a r´tard.

Sure but they can also be dumb views. As your posts prove.

Do you deny that all the best fighters at HW have been in that 245lbs to 260lbs range and that competition generally got easier when you fought the much bigger guys? What does the current HW champ weigh and do you not think guys like Prime Cain, Prime JDS and Prime Fedor and Prime Nog would have been tougher fights than the guys 50+ lbs heavier?
U dont know what you´re talking about.

When Big Nog, for instance (potential top2 HW GOAT), started his career in Rings, he was in the 205-220 range, and if u had any knowledge about his early career, you would acknowledge that his grappling at this lighter weight was simply a thing of beauty.

Did u watch Big Nog vs Achmed Labasanov or Yuriy Kochkine in Rings, for instance?

I doubt it.

I understand and that is a big part of the reason why GSP only surpassed Fedor in poll after poll when he took that MW belt. It was a huge accomplishment as you point out especially when you add it to one of the most dominant divisional runs in the history of MMA.
[sigh] Laughable.

To consider his BS fight against BS-Ping a " huge accomplishment " only exposes u.

U call this a D2BG move?

Puh-lease.

About the polls, Ive already provided the poll about the fighters´ GOAT, and your hero was laughable.

Big deal. Numbers like these dont always tell the true story of a fight.

1st of all, instead of calling others´ arguments, like in this thread, several times, "dumb arguments", you should try to educate yourself, about legacies, ATGs and potential GOATs.

This fight was considered controversial for many reasons, doesnt mean you are right or wrong, or that those who had a different opinion than yours are right or wrong. Doesnt mean your argument is "dumb".

You´re an idiot coz you cant analyze without considering potential different views than yours.

I admit your opinion (that No Rush won) as a valid one, but the way I see it, this fight was potentially controversial and is historically indeed considered one. Some people saw the opposite, and the fact that u cant acknowledge it shows that u are a r´tard.

lol. so winning a fight in every single area. I punch you more, I kick you more. My strikes all more significant. I have more octagon control. Ya but skip all that as Gono has his own criteria which is tied to who he likes better and everything else can be ignored.

Like i said there is zero, ZERO controversy outside troll and retards. You won't be able to google a single fight analyst or MMA site that claimed BJ was robbed or there was any controversy in that win going to GSP. Only a few tards stand by that and there are tards on most fights. Congrats for being a tard.

I analyze by stepping back and considering facts OTHERS post beyond my own opinion and ALL of them support my view and NONE of them support yours. The fight metrics and the scoring of every major MMA site support me. You stand alone. And in your tard haze you dismiss the fight metric,you dismiss every single MMA site, you dismiss everything that does not come to the same tard conclusion you came to. But you do so without an ounce of an intelligent argument.

U dont know what you´re talking about.

When Big Nog, for instance (potential top2 HW GOAT), started his career in Rings, he was in the 205-220 range, and if u had any knowledge about his early career, you would acknowledge that his grappling at this lighter weight was simply a thing of beauty.

Did u watch Big Nog vs Achmed Labasanov or Yuriy Kochkine in Rings, for instance?

I doubt it.
Yes but Big Nogs PRIME was around 225 when he fought Fedor and around 230+ -250lbs after. You need to be smarter as the point is that the top guys were mostly all around the same size +/- and where not the guys much bigger.

Yes but Big Nogs PRIME was around 245 -2550lbs. You need to be smarter.
It´s coz u dont know what u´re talking about and uve just exposed yourself since u offered no comment about his Rings fights.

Learn 2 things:

1/ Big Nog had a 2nd technical prime in Pride, when
his boxing got better, after the Cuban stint, he himself admitted that b4 going there, he hardly could throw combos.

2/ Grappling: I consider he was in his Prime in Rings, where he was lighter, and his transitions were just smoother. He couldnt get any better than that.

Thus, I repeat my question: did u watch his early fights? Like against Achmed Labasanov or Yuriy Kochkine?

[sigh] Laughable.

To consider his BS fight against BS-Ping a " huge accomplishment " only exposes u.

U call this a D2BG move?

Puh-lease.

About the polls, Ive already provided the poll about the fighters´ GOAT, and your hero was laughable.

People wanted GSP to move and simply 'test himself' at the weight class above. He got grief all the time for not doing that.

Anderson on the other hand got tons of praise for doing it and his fight against Forrest is often cited as one of the most significant things in his GOAT case.

GSP beating BIsping was bigger and more relevant in every single way than Anderson beating Forrest. GSP beating Bisping would have been the same as Anderson beating Forrest had GSP fought Bisping right after Gastelum KO'd him and took his soul and started his slide to irrelevance just as Rashad had done to Forrest. But NO, instead GSP was the one to stop Bisping in the best run of his MW career which culminated in the title and not like Anderson beating Forrest after a devastating loss.

So you can try your hardest to dismiss it but GSP moving up to test himself against comp more relevant and better than Anderson ever did matters.

Yes but Big Nogs PRIME was around 225 when he fought Fedor and around 230+ -250lbs after. You need to be smarter as the point is that the top guys were mostly all around the same size +/- and where not the guys much bigger.
lmao how many times are u gonna totally edit this post ?

People wanted GSP to move and simply 'test himself' at the weight class above. He got grief all the time for not doing that.

Anderson on the other hand got tons of praise for doing it and his fight against Forrest is often cited as one of the most significant things in his GOAT case.

GSP beating BIsping was bigger and more relevant in every single way than Anderson beating Forrest. GSP beating Bisping would have been the same as Anderson beating Forrest had GSP fought Bisping right after Gastelum KO'd him and took his soul and started his slide to irrelevance just as Rashad had done to Forrest. But NO, instead GSP was the one to stop Bisping in the best run of his MW career which culminated in the title and not like Anderson beating Forrest after a devastating loss.

So you can try your hardest to dismiss it but GSP moving up to test himself against comp more relevant and better than Anderson ever did matters.
godz....

To consider that Forrest or BS-Ping did enhance Spider´s or No Rush´s resumé is simply...damn... I have no words.

Last edited:
Records aside, there's a handful of fighters that come along who when their fights are coming up there's an electricity in the air that's like - oh shit, this is about to go down.

This ^^ oh that electricity is real!

In 2008/2009 Sherdog was such an awesome place. It seemed like everyone was either a Penn fan or a GSP fan.

The word nut-hugger would get thrown around so often, it was fun to be a delusional fan.

Different than the McNugget fans, the Platnium band-wagon etc.

Shout out to PB!

Not really, BJ's mentality was pretty common place among old school fighters. Remember the Gracies started UFC with no intention of creating weight classes. Their whole thing was to demonstrate the ability to beat opponents of any size. Fighters from BJ's era mostly did not care about size discrepancy, the Gracies didn't give a fuck, neither did Fedor or pretty much any of the Japanese fighters in pride (Sakuraba, Minowaman). The current generation fighters are just massively pussified.

Yeah but a lot of the stuff they did early on without weight classes was because they were so far ahead of the curve that, on the balance of probabilities, they were still well ahead.

Yeah but a lot of the stuff they did early on without weight classes was because they were so far ahead of the curve that, on the balance of probabilities, they were still well ahead.

We're talking different things. Having a skill advantage over bigger fighters is one thing, having the balls to fight them is another. Sakuraba would have fought guys that outweighed him by 50lbs regardless of where they're at skill wise, that's the OG mentality. He'd do it even if it means he gets he gets beaten into a bloody pulp. Meanwhile pussified modern day MMA fighters make a big fuss about moving up 10lbs.

if he fought his entire career at 155 (and got out when he should have), good chance he would be considered the GOAT.

Back