BJJ vs Boxing?

Anyone who trains both or either, If I was to pick one to train in, what would it be? Don't say both, I can't be arsed.

BJJ is more useful. If you take 2 guys without MMA experience and train 1 in BJJ and 1 in boxing the BJJ guy will win the majority of the time. We are at the point now that BJJ and submissions aren't as prominent because BJJ is so effective and everybody trains it. Boxing looks more successful because it is at such a low level in MMA that anyone half decent will be miles ahead of his opponent there.
Mostly agreed but would caveat your post by saying two similarly athletic guys as a geek trained in BJJ is not going to beat an alpha athlete trained in Boxing.

But more to TS's point I actually think if you asked the top camps rather they would rather start with an elite BJJ guy or an elite Boxer/Striker and have to train him to make him well rounded and a Champ, which base would you choose? I think the answer would be the elite boxer/striker.

I think most, who put in the time, can get to a good level of proficiency in at least BJJ defense, along with proper foot work,whereas there seems to be no clear path to training people to be capable strikers, no matter how long and hard they train. You either have that potential or you do not.

BJJ is more useful. If you take 2 guys without MMA experience and train 1 in BJJ and 1 in boxing the BJJ guy will win the majority of the time. We are at the point now that BJJ and submissions aren't as prominent because BJJ is so effective and everybody trains it. Boxing looks more successful because it is at such a low level in MMA that anyone half decent will be miles ahead of his opponent there.

Also, takedown defense is better than it’s ever been. Some guys can avoid the ground all together. Take GSP vs Shields for example.

The thread is about 2019 MMA, not UFC 1.

Yeah and in 2019 if you don't train bjj you would get destroyed quickly. The reason bjj seems less effective now is because it is really effective.

Back