BJJ - White Belt Frustration

Yeap lunch time classes are usually less intence then end of day classes.

And if you didn't get smashed by purple I would suggest you leave the gym.

You need Tech and rolling to get good, sounds like lunch is good for tech and after better for live rolling.

My advise: Do Both.

Firstly, shut the fuck up lol. You know nothing about me, the gym I train at, or the people I train with. I've asked for some legit advice and you start this shit. Just what I expected out of a forum like this, a bunch of dudes who watch UFC but do no training and spend all day racking up their post count.

The 1 dude who gave me good advice (sorry forgot your name buddy), I appreciate your suggestions mate.

I will not be talking to you losers again.

If you are going to react like that to useful yet truthful comments like those you are clearly not cut out for combat sports.

Man up or GTFO.

Thinking about it, its probably best for all involved if you just quit now, this is not for you.

If you are going to react like that to useful yet truthful comments like those you are clearly not cut out for combat sports.

Man up or GTFO.

Thinking about it, its probably best for all involved if you just quit now, this is not for you.

Now see, I would never suggest he just quit. That is also the wrong attitude. People are more than capable of changing their perceptions and behaviours regarding situations.

Just because he is acting like a fragile little ego driven boy right now doesn't mean that he couldn't grow up, develop even the tiniest bit of coping skill, and continue on in training martial arts in a productive way. He has seen the consensus of this boards response. He can retaliate all he wants against that here, but he will still have to apply what has been said in his real training if he wants to succeed. If he does there is no reason why he shouldn't continue.

When he does, he will probably remember this little tantrum when he is a decent purple belt and he comes across a white belt with as delicate an ego as he is showing now. Only then will he realize how big a tool he has made himself out to be in this thread, telling a mod to STFU and that he doesn't even train, lol.

Or he could be completely trolling, in which case I've been had.

I think one quote we believe in is "You have to learn to be the nail, before you can become the hammer" I think it was a Renzo Gracie quote. But don't worry man, I have been with the same team for awhile now. And I get smashed day in and day out by the upper belts. But that is the way it should be. It's the best for your progression. So feel good when you leave the academy bashed up haha. Just keep at it man.

Now see, I would never suggest he just quit. That is also the wrong attitude. People are more than capable of changing their perceptions and behaviours regarding situations.

Just because he is acting like a fragile little ego driven boy right now doesn't mean that he couldn't grow up, develop even the tiniest bit of coping skill, and continue on in training martial arts in a productive way. He has seen the consensus of this boards response. He can retaliate all he wants against that here, but he will still have to apply what has been said in his real training if he wants to succeed. If he does there is no reason why he shouldn't continue.

When he does, he will probably remember this little tantrum when he is a decent purple belt and he comes across a white belt with as delicate an ego as he is showing now. Only then will he realize how big a tool he has made himself out to be in this thread, telling a mod to STFU and that he doesn't even train, lol.

Or he could be completely trolling, in which case I've been had.

I don't know man, he seems like the kind of person who wants to be told what he wants to hear and if he gets told something different well then that person is obviously wrong and has no idea what they are talking about.
He didn't want advice he wanted someone to tell him he is awesome.

That plus he decided he would keep doing the lunch time classes because they aren't as hard = I hold out very little help for our young apprentice.

But all that said, a great way to motivate me is by telling me I can't do something.

My preferred learning method is getting destroyed by higher belts. In that situation, your victory is not "tapping" them, it's recomposing guard, escaping side control, mounting an offense that they have to defend (even if you never, ever tap them), etc.

The times I get to tap out low belts, I usually didn't learn anything. So, while immediately rewarding to the ego, it's not doing much to help build your skill-set.

Now, I'm not pretending I don't have an ego--I do. We all do. Rolling with guys who have 40lbs on you and are athletic, even if less skilled, is always bruising to the ego because you'd like to control them more easily. But, it reminds you that you've got big gaps in your game. Too much space on offense, too little space on defense, not controlling the hips or head, etc. Mistakes getting exposed is the best way to learn.

I'm not sure I buy this completely. I've only been doing BJJ for about 4 months (missed 2 classes in that time.) I started sparring a month ago (our school has an hour of technique and on a separate day an hour of sparring.) Anyway, I came in knowing a couple things:

1. I have more or less sat on my butt for the past 15 years. I've gone to the gym from time to time, but never super seriously and never really stayed with it.

2. I have no martial arts/wrestling background.

3. Of all the people coming to the sparring class, I've been at the gym the least amount of time.

So when I go to my sparring class I'm not expecting to tap out the brown, purple or blue belts. And honestly, the 3 & 4 stripe belts I'm just hoping to not expose my neck.

So when I get tapped it doesn't damage my pride. In fact, when I've gone against a couple of the pro MMA guys at our gym and they destroy me I don't feel a blow to my ego.

If you're willing to make justifications to yourself to feel better, so be it. But if getting subbed doesn't bother you, something is broken. It should. What a tap represents is that in a real altercation, your opponent could have killed or severely injured you. That should disturb you when someone else has you completely at their mercy.

Understanding that you're new is a long way from being comfortable with being submitted. You're going to get tapped a lot, that's part of being the new guy. But the day you get comfortable with that is the day you should hang up your gi, IMO. After all, if you're fine with being beaten, wtf are you training for?

If you're willing to make justifications to yourself to feel better, so be it. But if getting subbed doesn't bother you, something is broken. It should. What a tap represents is that in a real altercation, your opponent could have killed or severely injured you. That should disturb you when someone else has you completely at their mercy.

Understanding that you're new is a long way from being comfortable with being submitted. You're going to get tapped a lot, that's part of being the new guy. But the day you get comfortable with that is the day you should hang up your gi, IMO. After all, if you're fine with being beaten, wtf are you training for?

Disturb? Yeah, I'm going to call this the exact wrong lesson to take from training.

It should motivate you to get better, but I've never been disturbed by being tapped.

To quote my instructor when asked this by one of the young guys in my gym..."STFU and train" He said it in a very nice way:)

Disturb? Yeah, I'm going to call this the exact wrong lesson to take from training.

It should motivate you to get better, but I've never been disturbed by being tapped.

Tapped? No. Completely dominated in every phase of your game, to where it feels like nothing is working and you're at the mercy of your opponent? Yeah, that bugs me. Thank God it happens a lot less often now than it did when I started.

When I get smoked it bugs me enough that I keep thinking about it when I go home. I think about the positions, how we got there, what I could have done differently. It makes me analyze the rolls more and come up with either a solution or a great question for the next class.

If I was content to get destroyed, I'd just shrug it off, go watch Scooby Doo or whatever and not even bother thinking about it. And then a year from now I'd wonder why my jiu-jitsu wasn't getting any better.

So I guess what I'm saying is "to-may-to, to-mah-to".

I would have taken offense to that post by DaRuckus too. Although it rings with truth, he said it like a douchebag instead of a respectable BJJ player who wanted to offer constructive criticism.

Posts like that make an impression, and the impression is that DaRuckus is a jerk.

Regarding getting dominated by purple belts, like others said here, if they weren't completely dominating you, you wouldn't want to train at that club. Take your licks, work your defense. Don't worry about trying to get submissions, just work on recapturing guard, and surviving a little longer and a little longer every time.
You'll know you're improving as you get harder and harder for them to submit.

Last edited:
I would have taken offense to that post by DaRuckus too. Although it rings with truth, he said it like a douchebag instead of a respectable BJJ player who wanted to offer constructive criticism.

Posts like that make an impression, and the impression is that DaRuckus is a jerk.

Regarding getting dominated by purple belts, like others said here, if they weren't completely dominating you, you wouldn't want to train at that club. Take your licks, work your defense. Don't worry about trying to get submissions, just work on recapturing guard, and surviving a little longer and a little longer every time.
You'll know you're improving as you get harder and harder for them to submit.

If being ambivalent about every 3 month white belt who contemplates quitting over burnt pride makes me a jerk, then so be it.

My first post was bait. He sounded like someone with an ego problem. He took the bait and proved it. His original post was either flagrant trolling or indicative of an even more flagrant personality flaw. His problem isn't his bjj, it's his attitude and expectations. He needs to adjust both of them if he ever wants to succeed at anything in life that requires a bit of patience, dedication and humility. If he can't take a slight check to his ego on an internet forum, what shot does he stand at something like bjj where the ego checks come dozens of times a week for a new player? The many critical responses he has received in this thread should make it clear that most members of the grappling community believe the problem lies with his approach to the sport rather than with his skills at it. He can either internalize these critiques and adjust his approach or he can blow off the overwhelming opinion of more experienced grapplers, keep doing what he's doing, and then quit bjj in 6 weeks when the next fad comes along which promises to satisfy his need for instant gratification and something to brag about at the bar. I really don't care either way to be honest. I'd be happy for him if he swallowed his pride and started embracing the learning opportunity that getting your ass kicked by a good player offers, and I'd be nearly as happy with an outcome in which some whiny, over-confident, immature hot-head quits the sport.

we had a new guy come in, I was the 2nd person he rolled with, after the scrawny 2 week white belt which he beat, after tapping him plenty, he asks 'So what are you? a brown belt? black? (It was no gi) I laughed and said 'no im just a white belt' he was shocked, i just said to him that I just started earlier than him and in 2 years he will probably be heaps better than I am now. So yes, the purple belts will eat you, for the next 3 years or so lol.

I know it must have been rough. But its an experience that all BJJ Practitioners go through every now and again. A good humbling goes a long way. Try to learn from those experiences and use what you learn to improve your game. Some of my best concepts I learned while getting crushed.

Some one actually posted a similar question that I responded to on a Youtube Series Im doing called White Belt Wednesdays.

Back