Social Black social worker facilitating White child parental visit is accused of kidnapping

The crew should have asked the passenger what evidence he/she has the woman was kidnapping the child. If the answer is that the woman is of a different race, they should have said that is not evidence.

You don’t know why the woman suggested that the child was abducted.

You want her to be racist which is pathetic. You’ve made assumptions and you want someone to be racist to prove your point. Which I guess, is that sometimes some people are racist. Which everyone knows. Especially people who have dealt with actual racism and actual racists their whole life.

You are pathetic and this thread is lazy.

Edit: I sure as fuck never said I was Asian. You’re thinking of another poster.

No one was hurt, so who cares?
Obviously the lady who was falsely accused of kidnapping the child. That passenger who reported the social worker should have charges levied against them. The airline should have allowed her right there and then to show her documentation stating she was a social worker.

I hope the person who reported her feels bad for what they did but I doubt it. I have no doubt the individual who reported her is also a closet racist

You want her to be racist which is pathetic. You’ve made assumptions and you want someone to be racist to prove your point. Which I guess, is that sometimes some people are racist. Which everyone knows. Especially people who have dealt with actual racism and actual racists their whole life.

I bet you if the social worker was the same color as the child the person would have not reported her. The only reason she did so is because of the color of social workers skin.

So they checked the paperwork and then let her back on the plane.. what's the problem?

I hope the person who reported her feels bad for what they did but I doubt it. I have no doubt the individual who reported her is also a closet racist
I bet you if the social worker was the same color as the child the person would have not reported her. The only reason she did so is because of the color of social workers skin.
Dude I'm mixed race and I don't look like my mom's race. I can easily imagine something like that happening to me when I was a kid from someone who's a little too cautious/ paranoid. People often assumed my mom was my caretaker because 99% of the time when seeing a pair of someone that looked like me and someone that looked like my mom, they'd actually be right. It doesn't mean they're racist.. just someone with good intentions that's not a psychic trying to do the right thing. The airline checked her paperwork and had her back on the plane within 40 minutes. That was the right thing to do. If someone had a kidnapping concern, they did the right thing too. Best to check and verify, than not verify and find out someone kidnapped someone. What was the problem??

So she was inconvenienced for 40 minutes but everything was resolved and she was able to travel with the child. It is a shame she had her time wasted but when it comes to children it is better to have an inconvenience than have a child be abducted or harmed.

You clearly deceided to ignore the "some"

"It seems some people think anytime the race of the kids and parents does not match up, it is perfectly fine to accuse or suspect the adult of kidnapping. When people see an adult accompanying kids of a different race, the adult is assumed to be unrelated, so some think he/she is kidnapping."

You still have comprehension issues, or are just goddam stubborn and it would hurt your ego to admit you are wrong . Do you know the difference between making an observation and supporting behavior that deems it ok to harass adults because they are accompanying unrelated children? I am trying to dumb this down to you, so here is the observaton : society sees an adult accompanying a child of a different race society assumes the 2 are unrelated . The passenger sees an adult woman accompanying a child of a different race and assumes without evidence she is a kidnapper.

If they were the same race people would think they are related, because that is normal thinking. Very likely nothing would have happened if she was White because people would assume the woman and child are related.

The airline staff were wrong. They had no evidence a kidnapping was occuring. They just took the word of the passenger without any evidence. Boarding and check in staff had no concerns. The staff on the outbound flight had no concerns. Why didn't the crew use logic and think for a minute that this woman would have had to go through numerous checks before she could have boarded the flight with the kid.

You are just pisssed I made a thread where the victim is Black so you decide to misrepresent what I wrote and bitch .
If you're taking someone else's kid on an airplane, you should have backup for it... This is a unique social dynamic caused by race, not racism. Black and white are different, and so social situations and stuff won't ever be exactly the same. If you're taking a kid of another race onto a plane, you should be mindful that people will know that the kid isn't your's and be prepared for that. People assumed my mom was my nanny, never a kidnapper though, as a kid when I used to be blonde haired/ blue eyed with a brown mom. Being that other people aren't psychic, I completely understand it looking at things from their point of view.

If you're taking someone else's kid on an airplane, you should have backup for it... This is a unique social dynamic caused by race, not racism. Black and white are different, and so social situations and stuff won't ever be exactly the same. If you're taking a kid of another race onto a plane, you should be mindful that people will know that the kid isn't your's and be prepared for that. People assumed my mom was my nanny, never a kidnapper though, as a kid when I used to be blonde haired/ blue eyed with a brown mom. Being that other people aren't psychic, I completely understand it looking at things from their point of view.

She had her ID. She had the court order. She had the kid's birth certificate.
She did not get hassled on her outbound flight. She did not get hassled at DFW at check-in and boarding at the gate. The only time she was accused of being a kidnapper was by that one passenger.

People should start accusing people of beign kidnappers just because the adult is a different race from the child.

So she was inconvenienced for 40 minutes but everything was resolved and she was able to travel with the child. It is a shame she had her time wasted but when it comes to children it is better to have an inconvenience than have a child be abducted or harmed.
Sp then it is ok for the public and authorities to harass every single adult who is accompanying a child of a different race?

We can apply this better safe than sorry to a lot of situations and circumstances, but that would violate peoples' liberties.

The crew should have asked the passenger what evidence he/she has the woman was kidnapping the child. If the answer is that the woman is of a different race, they should have said that is not evidence.
The thing is though... that is a small amount of evidence. It's not conclusive, but it is evidence. My mom was brown and I was blonde haired and blue eyed. People assumed she was my nanny using that as evidence. 99% of the time, they would have been right. Because my mom being brown and me being blonde/ blue eyed was evidence of that, just not conclusive evidence. Asking people to try not to be too racist is a good thing. But asking them to completely pretend race doesn't exist is asking people to lobotomize themselves.

She had her ID. She had the court order. She had the kid's birth certificate.
She did not get hassled on her outbound flight. She did not get hassled at DFW at check-in and boarding at the gate. The only time she was accused of being a kidnapper was by that one passenger.
Pretend you're the guy at the counter being shown and ID and a court order. You stamp tickets and bring people sandwiches, that paperwork is a bunch of gobbledygook to you. You don't know if it's fake, if it's a court order for something else, what that ID actually means, none of it. Over something as serious as a kidnapping charge, you obviously delegate that to people higher up that know what to do. They did, problem solved, she got back on the plane...

People should start accusing people of beign kidnappers just because the adult is a different race from the child.
Some people worry too much, but an airline has to take all accusations of kidnapping seriously for obvious reasons. Also doesn't mean he/ she's a horrible racist, his/ her heart was in the right place. The person was cautious, but probably a good person. I'm not ready to jump on the bandwagon of labeling everyone that makes a mistake regarding race as some evil racist. THAT'S evil.

She didn't have issues on the outbound trip, and no issues up until getting into the plane. So one assumes the ticketing staff and check-in staff all looked at her and the kid's paperwork. So why didn't the crew members take this into consideration ? Instead they go on the claims of a passenger who without any evidence says the woman kidnapped the kid.
Like I said....they may have fucked up...but if their protocol calls for doing what they did , then the right thing was done.

It is very likely that it does especially if the protocol calls for It when a passenger makes the accusation ...It’s also possible that they could held liable if they ignored the protocol

I didn't say she was racist, I said "The passenger just believed she was a kidnapper because the woman was a different race to the kid and or the passenger harbors racial bias."

You should brush up on your comprehension, because you neglect the "or" which makes a big difference to the whole sentence.

a) The passenger believed the social worker was a kidnapper because she was a different race to the kid
and or
b) she harbords racial bias.
The "or" allows for the passenger to believe the woman was a kidnapper because she was an unrelated adult, and not because the passenger has racial bias.

You keep saying "assumptions" yet it is you who has misrepresented what I wrote, and continously doubling down without admit you got everything from my O.P. wrong.

Ok so you aren't Asian, doesn't matter anyways because anyone can claim shit online. Lots of non White people are anti Black, infact the Western world is less anti Black than the MiddleEast and Asia.

Like I said....they may have fucked up...but if their protocol calls for doing what they did , then the right thing was done.

It is very likely that it does especially if the protocol calls for It when a passenger makes the accusation ...It’s also possible that they could held liable if they ignored the protocol
They should have considered that :

a) the passenger had no proof
b) the social worker would have had to show ID for her and the kid to clear ticketing , security and the folks at the boarding gate.

Last edited:
Pretend you're the guy at the counter being shown and ID and a court order. You stamp tickets and bring people sandwiches, that paperwork is a bunch of gobbledygook to you. You don't know if it's fake, if it's a court order for something else, what that ID actually means, none of it. Over something as serious as a kidnapping charge, you obviously delegate that to people higher up that know what to do. They did, problem solved, she got back on the plane...

Some people worry too much, but an airline has to take all accusations of kidnapping seriously for obvious reasons. Also doesn't mean he/ she's a horrible racist, his/ her heart was in the right place. The person was cautious, but probably a good person. I'm not ready to jump on the bandwagon of labeling everyone that makes a mistake regarding race as some evil racist. THAT'S evil.

Every single time I have flown, the staff at ticketing have looked at my documents / tickets in a manner I would describe as competent. I mean they didn't just glance over it without paying any attention to what was in it.

Why would you think the ticketing staff and the boarding gate staff were incompetent or lazy yet give the passenger a pass, when the passenger was not privy to any of the woman's information .

I don't think her heart was in the right place because she stated the woman was a kidnapper without any proof whatsoever. The other passengers did not report the woman, so was their heart no in the right place? If we excuse away the general public doing things like this because their hear was in the right place, then people will be able to harass and sick the cops on innocent people and never face any repercussions.

They should have considered that :

a) the passenger had no proof
b) the social worker would have had to show ID for her and the kid to clear ticketing , security and the folks at the boarding gate.

Why are you being so obtuse? The airlines may have protocols in place and they may legally obligated to follow them.

It sounds like the gate agents did not check anything or validate that she was supposed to be with the kid.....which is good, means they needed a reason ...they board the flight and the crew take over...the passenger tells the flight crew...the flight crew then follow protocol.

So... An ignorant person made a wild accusation. The airline did their due diligence and removed the woman from the flight while they investigated the accusation, because flight attendants are obviously not qualified to assess legal documents. The airline quickly recognized that the woman was not a kidnapper and let her back on the flight. Now she is suing them for doing nothing wrong.

Does that sound about right?

Every single time I have flown, the staff at ticketing have looked at my documents / tickets in a manner I would describe as competent. I mean they didn't just glance over it without paying any attention to what was in it.
I assume you mean at security, because you can get your tickets from a kiosk without even speaking to a person at ticketing.

Last edited:
This happened back in October of 2019.

- Shannon Murphy, a social worker for Riverside county California had taken a 1 year old White child to visit his father in Arkansas. The child's mother lives in California. Court ordered parental visitation rights.

- For her flight back to Ontario Airport in California, she was transiting through Dallas Fort Worth Airport.

- She was flying American Airlines. She was inside the aircraft with the child when a passenger told crew members she (Shannon Murphy) was kidnapping the child.

While on the plane, another passenger told the flight attendant that Murphy had kidnapped the child, according to the lawsuit.

Airline workers told Murphy to get off the plane or “physical force would be used to make [her] comply,” according to the lawsuit.

- The Crew pull the social worker off the plane and seperate her from the 1 year old boy.

- Before she was pulled off the plane, she explained to the crew she was a social worker and tried showing her State I.D. and documentation showing the Court order for parental visitation rights and the child's birth certificate. But according to the article the crew didn't bother to look at it, instead they just pulled her off the flight.

Murphy said she had paperwork with her, including her work ID, the child's birth certificate, and a signed copy of the court order for the trip. She tried to show it to the airline employees on the plane, but they insisted she come with them, she said. They eventually checked the paperwork and said there had been a mistake, according to Murphy.

-
About 40 mins later, the Airport said there was a mistake and let get back on the flight with the kid. She apologized to the other passengers for the delay. Other passengers expressed their support for her.

- One of the AA flight attendants said she was with the company for 21 years and never seen anything like this. She apologized to the social worker.

- Social worker is suing AA for Civil Rights violations and false imprisonement. According to the lawsuit, there was a kidnapping in NYC but the child in that case was a 5 year old Hispanic with black hair. This child was 1 year old, had fair skin , blonde hair and blue eyes.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article244299222.html

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article244299222.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/black-social-worker-suing-american-193343442.html

---------

There was a case in 2018 where a woman called the police on a Black guy babysitting / transporting the kids of his White friends. He was pulled over by cops .

It seems some people think anytime the race of the kids and parents does not match up, it is perfectly fine to accuse or suspect the adult of kidnapping. When people see an adult accompanying kids of a different race, the adult is assumed to be unrelated, so some think he/she is kidnapping. Ofcourse adults accompany unrelated kids all the time, but when the races are the same everyone assumes they are related. Either make it a law that all visibly unrelated adult-child groups need to prove they are not kidnapping or stop harassing people with no evidence / proof. These folks, like the passenger on the plane who accused the social worker of kidnapping, need to be charged.
The crew had a responsibility to have the authorities verify her documentation due to what the brat said. The lawsuit should obviously be dropped.

Why are you being so obtuse? The airlines may have protocols in place and they may legally obligated to follow them.

It sounds like the gate agents did not check anything or validate that she was supposed to be with the kid.....which is good, means they needed a reason ...they board the flight and the crew take over...the passenger tells the flight crew...the flight crew then follow protocol.

Why are you assuming the gate agent did not check? When you check in at ticketing, the staff check your tickets, including tickets for accompanying minors. The boy being 1 year old may not have had his own ticke , but they still would have noticed the woman was with him. The security and boarding gate staff both would have check the woman's ticket and see that she had the child with her

How do you know what their protocol is?

The passenger had no evidence. Other passengers did not report the woman. The crew did not pick on the woman until the 1 passenger claimed she was a kidnapper.

The crew had a responsibility to have the authorities verify her documentation due to what the brat said. The lawsuit should obviously be dropped.
We don't know what their responsiblity is. And they could have looked at her documents in the plane when she was trying to show it to them but they ignored it.

Back