Movies BLUE BEETLE (Ends Theatrical Run with $122M; Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen BLUE BEETLE, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Box office update:

Blue Beetle is on course to win the No. 1 spot this weekend with $25 to $27 million, finally dethroning Barbie.

Blue Beetle earned a B+ CinemaScore.

Update: August 20, 2023

BLUE BEETLE Dethrones BARBIE But Scores One of the Lowest DCEU Opening Weekend Ever with $25.4 Million

B9Jd6sb.png

It had to happen sometime. After ruling the box office roost for four weekends, Barbie fell to second place as DC’s superhero pic Blue Beetle took the top spot.

Blue Beetle opened to an estimated $25.4 in North America. It remains to be seen how much Tropical Storm Hilary dampens grosses in Los Angeles — the film’s top market — and other parts of the Southwest, but Warner Bros. expects the impact to be significant.

Overseas, the film took in $18 million from 63 markets for a global start of $43.4 million.

It’s understandable why the superhero pic may be feeling a little blue. Not only did Blue Beetle come in behind expectations — heading into the weekend, tracking had suggested $28 million to $32 million — but it also posted one of the lowest openings among any title in the DC Extended Universe, not adjusted for inflation.

Director Ángel Manuel Soto’s Blue Beetle is Hollywood’s first live-action superhero film built around a Latino protagonist and hopes to be a breakthrough movie for Latino audiences and for Latino representation in front of and behind the camera. According to exit polling service PostTrak, 39 percent of ticket buyers were Latino (usually, it might be 30 percent).

Blue Beetle‘s release has been hampered by the SAG-AFTRA strike, which means Soto’s cast couldn’t participate in the publicity tour. In terms of audience reaction and demo breakdowns, it earned a B+ CinemaScore and played heavily male (66 percent).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/blue-beetle-box-office-barbie-strays-1235570507/

Update: August 20, 2023

BLUE BEETLE Dethrones BARBIE But Scores One of the Lowest DCEU Opening Weekend Ever with $25.4 Million

I mean, that's bad, considering the $120 million budget.

That said, it's actually a great business movie. It's already made and the cost is there. Blue Beetle IIRC, was to be an HBO/Max release. Let's be real, BB is not bringing any new subscribers to HBO. So, they decide to put it into theaters. Latino themed, summer vibes, filled with jokes, family can watch it (@Dragonlordxxxxx remarks about nudity aside, of course), marketing is there, but no big money is spent on marketing. It makes what, over $100M in total over the next few weeks? That's $100M you'd never see if not for a cinematic release.

Also, what the f did they spend $120M on???

Not surprised

Yeah DC at a low(er) ebb and this is just the kind of film which depends on interest in the franchise with a character mostly unknown to casual audiences.

Honestly my view tends to be that these days films NEED to have a $100+ million budget because this allows for various hangers on to get paid. The idea companys always work to make maximum profit is very questionable, very often you have an exec culture which dominates a whole industry and focuses mostly on them getting paid as much as possible.

I think its especially bad with the big established franchises which said execs have been able to get their claws into much more, something newer like saty John Wick I think you could see the $100 million budget onscreen far more and that film had a much bigger name cast than Blue Beetle.

Last edited:
Saw this on Saturday and absolutely loved it, wasnt interested when I saw the trailers, didnt look bad just looked like the same origin story we've seen 20 times already
But when I heard that it went heavy on Chicano culture I got interested and Im glad i did because much of the movie was a beautiful love letter to my people and they represented us perfectly, the good and the goofy(George Lopez's Paisa style 4X4 was hilarious and spot on), although I almost puked when those Texas dirtbags used flour tortillas on their tacos, no one should be forced to see that
The story was a paint by numbers origin story but it was charming and well executed, a lotta Spiderman and Ant Man vibe to it, with cool visuals
Loved the family, they all felt familiar, if you grew up in a Chicano or Mexican household you'll probably recognize someone you know in these characters
Didnt know most of the actors but they all did a great job playing their parts, used to be a big Bruna Marquezine mark like 10 years ago, nice to see her getting a chance to shine for an American audience
Movie was A1 top notch for the first 80 minutes, problem is the runtime was 127 minutes, there's a huge emotional moment at about 75-80 minutes in that takes so much outta you that its hard to stay wrapped up in it as the story keeps rolling along, plus after that things kindy start getting a little too wacky, theres still a whole lotta solid action all the way to the end though
In conclusion, its another decent comic book movie thats worth a watch, if this was an MCU movie it would be a good midcard entry but for the DCEU its towards the top of the pack even though its gonna get lost in the shuffle of the so called super hero fatigue and all the DCEU drama, and it gets extra points because I very much related to the Chicano characters and representation

6.2 Thumps Up Outta 7

And contrary to what @Dragonlordxxxxx would have you believe, the second post credits scene isnt just a "troll gag" its a heartwarming tribute to one of the most beloved characters in the history of Mexican television and a personal favorite of mine

El Chapulin Colorado(The Red Grasshopper)
Chapulin Colorado.jpg

A friend of mine caught a showing yesterday and said while it was fun at times, alot of the characters felt like their sole purpose was to shout out jokes, and not much to chew on for the main character.

The DL review also has me feeling like this is more of a wait it out and stream. Looking another box office bomb to add to the summer list.
This. The family doesn't seem realistic at all, just there for a gag. From the whole family going with him just to chant his name when he went to Kord for a job, to deciding to play hot potato with the scarab. The more family members there were in a scene the less of any sort of honest emotional connection they seemed to have

They should have stuck to releasing this and batgirl on their streaming service. I wouldnt have seen either in theaters but knowing they would have been there on a sunday afternoon...Would have watched.

This. The family doesn't seem realistic at all, just there for a gag. From the whole family going with him just to chant his name when he went to Kord for a job, to deciding to play hot potato with the scarab. The more family members there were in a scene the less of any sort of honest emotional connection they seemed to have

I figured the family wouldnt connect with non Chicano/Mexicans in the same way because people may not get some of the inside jokes and references, sounds like I was correct, as I always am

I figured the family wouldnt connect with non Chicano/Mexicans in the same way because people may not get some of the inside jokes and references, sounds like I was correct, as I always am
I mean were either of those examples inside jokes? Just seemed like cheap throwaway gags

And contrary to what @Dragonlordxxxxx would have you believe, the second post credits scene isnt just a "troll gag" its a heartwarming tribute to one of the most beloved characters in the history of Mexican television and a personal favorite of mine

El Chapulin Colorado(The Red Grasshopper)
View attachment 997227
I figured that the cartoon had a significant history to the Latino culture but I still stand by my troll gag statement, especially to most of the viewers not familiar with the reference. It's a lighthearted joke stinger but still a trollish joke nonetheless.

1 tsp Iron Man
1/2 tsp The Incredible Hulk
3 tbsp Ant-Man
1 1/2 tbsp Spider-Man: Far From Home
2 tsp Teen Wolf
1 tbsp Return of the Jedi
1 tbsp Susan Sarandon's revenge on Tim Robbins for Howard the Duck and Green Lantern
Preheat (heat; preheat is a meaningless fucking term - George Carlin) oven to 180°F.
Mix the ingredients in a bowl.
Cook for 3 minutes until soft.
Et voilà, le scarabée bleu parfait!

InB4: "Warner Brothers has no plans for a 'Blue Beetle' sequel."

it was originally going to be on MAX but for some reason they decided to release it in theaters. so for those who say it looks as if it was made for tv well, because that was the orginal plan.

Back