News Boxing set to be axed from the 2028 olympics

I was very surprised this read this. It really shows that the IOC don't have a clue.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/bo...rom-programme-of-sports-for-la-olympics-2028/

View attachment 1005721

this is why the US, UK and a few other countries are basically abandoning the IBA ti set up a non corrupt organisation. The blame lies with the current boxing federation, not the IOC

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/202...national_governing_body_world_boxing-3210085/

the Olympics without boxing will be an absolute travesty.

As a life long boxing fan this doesnt bum me out all, there plenty of world championship tournaments to go around for the ammies.

In order to stay with the times, out with boxing and in with...

sorry, can't even imagine & don't wanna guess.

What else is new? Besides most combat sports in the olympics have been butchered. I wouldnt care if they removed them all from the olympics at this rate, though olympic boxing got better since they got rid of the headgear.

This article's title is quite misleading. The jury is still out on whether boxing will feature at the '28 Olympics.

“A spokesperson from the Olympic Federation of Ireland (OFI) said they had not yet received any official indication on the status of Olympic boxing beyond Paris, for better or for worse.

“In the aftermath of that IOC session, however, IOC director general Christophe De Kepper did give his assurances that boxing would still feature on the sports programme at Los Angeles 2028. How the addition of five additional sports changes that situation is unclear.”

Last edited:
I was very surprised this read this. It really shows that the IOC don't have a clue.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/bo...rom-programme-of-sports-for-la-olympics-2028/

View attachment 1005721

Article is very misleading. A lot of jumping to conclusions with very little proof to back it up. Weightlifting is apparently getting taken out but that's hard to see when it's always been hugely popular, and you're telling me breaking has already been cut before its debut next year? Yeah... i'll believe it all when i watch the Olympics and events are/aren't there.

Also, if boxing gets axed it's not the IOC's fault, it's the IBA's fault for letting corruption run rampant.

Article is very misleading. A lot of jumping to conclusions with very little proof to back it up. Weightlifting is apparently getting taken out but that's hard to see when it's always been hugely popular, and you're telling me breaking has already been cut before its debut next year? Yeah... i'll believe it all when i watch the Olympics and events are/aren't there.

Also, if boxing gets axed it's not the IOC's fault, it's the IBA's fault for letting corruption run rampant.
It's a clickbait headline as far as I'm concerned. As you said it doesn't even make sense and contains some glaring contradictions. TS should've actually read the article first to vet it before making a thread.

Right, but they're getting even weirder and more numerous. I haven't even heard of some of them.
Idk that guy listed golf and table-tennis, those aren't very weird sports and I am almost positive they are more popular than boxing and have been for a long time lol.

Anyway, this reminds me of the jibber jabber they say about wrestling every Olympics. I'll believe it when I see it, it aint going nowhere.

Idk that guy listed golf and table-tennis, those aren't very weird sports and I am almost positive they are more popular than boxing and have been for a long time lol.

Anyway, this reminds me of the jibber jabber they say about wrestling every Olympics. I'll believe it when I see it, it aint going nowhere.
Golf is more popular than boxing but table tennis? I'm not sure about that. The IOC now recognizes a lot of obscure shit. Looking at what's on their program for the next Olympiad there's canoe slalom, whatever that is, handball, which I can't see anyone really caring about, and 'artistic' swimming and gymnastic events. As if we didn't already have enough swimming and gymnastics events.

Yeah, I recall when wrestling was in danger. It was for a brief while after the IOC voted to cut it from the program but it was readmitted. Boxing has been a part of the Olympic program for over 100 years so it'd be a shame to see it dropped. It'll be the IBA's fault if it does go. Hopefully they can get it sorted out.

I guess boxing is dead and making way for...ping pong.

I don't like this but honestly can't say I follow Olympic boxing. Could be a good thing guys turn pro earlier.

Back