News Boxing set to be axed from the 2028 olympics

I thought boxing had already been dropped to be honest, I knew this has been discussed for a few years now. So doing the maths we should have one final Olympics with boxing?

I thought boxing had already been dropped to be honest, I knew this has been discussed for a few years now. So doing the maths we should have one final Olympics with boxing?
We're guaranteed to have at least one more Olympiad that features boxing but its Olympic future is in doubt beyond that. Nothing is official yet. Years back wrestling was momentarily dropped by the IOC but after they campaigned for reentry it was added back. We could see something similar with boxing if it gets to that point.

Weren't they threatening to drop wrestling out of the Olympics too a few years back? I see this going about as well.

Weren't they threatening to drop wrestling out of the Olympics too a few years back? I see this going about as well.
They did drop it but it was added back pretty much immediately.
In 2013, the IOC voted to drop wrestling from the Summer Olympic program. The president of the sport's governing body, FILA (now United World Wrestling), resigned after a subsequent motion of no confidence, and several of the FILA leadership followed suit. Following these and revisions to the program for 2016 (including rule changes and additional women's competitions), wrestling successfully campaigned to be readmitted back onto the Summer Olympic program.
Wrestling at the Summer Olympics

The Olympics have always had weird sports in it.

This is true. People often forget that the Olympics gave out medals for poetry and painting.

I never watch boxing in the Olympics, so I’m not going to fein massive outrage, but it does stink, really. In general, though, I find it difficult to watch them — the whole Peacock app thing last time was shit, and I ended up not watching Judo or wrestling. Like most, I’m cynical about the games, too; it plays out like a PED fest, where the goal is to rack up medals in the stupidest games in order to be on a graphic at the end of the completion.

the better your amateur pedigree the more you make early in your pro career.
Also, some of these guys were actually making more money in the amateurs than they were several fights into their pro careers. Bud Crawford revealed this in a recent video which I thought was rather interesting.

Edit. Found the video.

Last edited:
the better your amateur pedigree the more you make early in your pro career.
I also think there is some value in amateur experience, depending on your style and the opponent's style as well. In particular, it seems that all pros with long amateur careers seem to be unbothered by southpaws because they've fought a lot of them in the amateurs and know how to prepare. But some other pro fighters seem to have real trouble with them.

I also think there is some value in amateur experience, depending on your style and the opponent's style as well. In particular, it seems that all pros with long amateur careers seem to be unbothered by southpaws because they've fought a lot of them in the amateurs and know how to prepare. But some other pro fighters seem to have real trouble with them.
This is true. If they had an extensive amateur career it's also likely that they've encountered some switch-hitters. Pros that had little to no amateur background also tend to struggle against slick pure boxers/stylists.

They're going to switch boxing with UFC.

But seriously, I've noticed there's some amateur world championships for MMA now, which is great.

They're going to switch boxing with UFC.

But seriously, I've noticed there's some amateur world championships for MMA now, which is great.
MMA will likely never be an Olympic sport. Pankration was at the ancient Olympics but those days are long gone. It was essentially a primitive version of MMA. Most combat sports have World Championship events (ieg., IMMAF Worlds in MMA's case). Even some of the obscure ones. While it's a step toward gaining Olympic recognition it's not guaranteed.

It seems to me they need a safe 3rd party to clean up Boxing then no reason not to get it in. That is what Olympics job it to keep all the events clean. Makes no sense to get rid of a sport if they fail to keep it clean.

"The issues date back to the 2016 Games because of concerns over corruption with the officiating. The Amateur International Boxing Association (the previous title for the IBA) suspended all 36 judges and referees who worked the Rio Olympics amid an investigation into corrupt judging. Professor Richard McLaren, who was hired to lead AIBA's investigation, determined a system was put in place by officials to manipulate the outcome of boxing matches."
They also pointed to the IOC's previous concern that the IBA backed Umar Kremlev to remain president of the association instead of holding an election.

gvztt6aob3b8ah6r7het.jpg

Hire IMG or some company.

Last edited:
This is a venue for athletic excellence and competition in its purest form. Boxing--one of the original Athenian sports--is now making way for skateboarding, table tennis, golf and the ever-popular flag-football. Perhaps a sign of the times.

thank god horse dancing (dressage), breakdancing, and trampoline is still in!

Kids grow up dreaming of being Olympic champions.
In sports like gymnastics, wrestling, track & field, and swimming...yes.

In sports like basketball, boxing, soccer, tennis, etc, I'd say most kids would rather be an NBA champ, WBC/WBA/IBF champ, World Cup champ, or Wimbledon champ

Olympic boxing is one of the most corrupt thinga ive ever seen so i cant say amything of value is lost

You gotta wonder if Dillon Danis has anything to do with this.
Odd chance they release this after Danis finally losses

This is a venue for athletic excellence and competition in its purest form. Boxing--one of the original Athenian sports--is now making way for skateboarding, table tennis, golf and the ever-popular flag-football. Perhaps a sign of the times.

Don't lump Table Tennis in with rest. Table Tennis always been legit.

Back