Bruce Lee on the Heavy Bag

Sigh.. Hating on Bruce never gets you anywhere in life. Stop the insanity guys

Yeah i remember reading another one like that . I think it may have been with danny or someone close to bruce in the JKD group. Bruce and one of this students were doing some light sparring and he said one of the students got in a lucky shot on bruce and Lee went bat shity crazy and tackled the guy and started pounding on him and they all had to jump in and yank bruce off.:icon_lol:

Lee may have been a lot of things humble was not one of him.

Your referring to dan lee who I think was meant to be an accomplished boxer I dont think people had to drag him off but he did chase him round trying to get his own back think he chipped his tooth or someting

Lee is a legend in the Martial Arts community. Anywhere you go it seems everyone has respect for him. Apparently he had legendary fast hands and was very quick on his feet as well. It would have been cool to see him compete in a combat sport like MMA.

I can't believe this thread continued for so long after this post should have closed down the conversation.

Thank you. Sometimes a counterpoint can be made best with a simple, brief reply, like a thirty second clip that negates the entire argument.

And then most times nobody listens or cares anyway.

Your referring to dan lee who I think was meant to be an accomplished boxer I dont think people had to drag him off but he did chase him round trying to get his own back think he chipped his tooth or someting

I had read that it was that a student bruce was having real problems in catching him sparring him the 1st time as dan had good evasive footwork and head movement etc from training in boxing....bruce got clearly fustrated trying harder and harder to land but when he did he chipped his tooth!

I can't believe this thread continued for so long after this post should have closed down the conversation.

Almost as bad as Fedor's shadow boxing!

Fighting has come a long way. Now the average Sherdog poster is better than the old greats :)

I read the first page before I realized this thread was a year and a half old. But as it was already stated Bruce Lee did amazing stuff for the sport before there really even was a sport. But he wasn't first and foremost an actor as some have said, he was a martial artist and instructor that became an actor.

Someone else said he looked sloppy in the vid and that somehow meant he wouldn't be effective "in the street", but I think speed, power and the attitude to get in there and mess someone up can get you pretty far in a street fight. The dudes life focused on combat for crying out loud!

Man what a thread resurrection, though I don't understand the fascination or 'hard on' for Bruce Lee - great actor/decent martial artist but there were guys way before him that were better, more rounded martial artists that made greater contributions than him like for example the great Jigoro Kano, it's a shame in a way people mention Bruce before guys like Kano, at least to myself.

I think Bruce's greatest contribution to martial arts was inspiring the next generation of martial artists.

Man what a thread resurrection, though I don't understand the fascination or 'hard on' for Bruce Lee - great actor/decent martial artist but there were guys way before him that were better, more rounded martial artists that made greater contributions than him like for example the great Jigoro Kano, it's a shame in a way people mention Bruce before guys like Kano, at least to myself.

I think Bruce's greatest contribution to martial arts was inspiring the next generation of martial artists.

There's a difference between a guy being great at one thing, versus a guy being great in general. To deny that Bruce was a great person is absurd. He had a huge effect on the entire World. No one needs to understand that for it to be true. Who knows why? All that matters now is that it happened. There are many Martial Arts, many cultures of people, and many industries (including things people don't think of like bodybuilding, general fitness, and supplementation) that owe their thanks to ideas implemented by Bruce Lee.

I found a poll a while back where people voted that bruce lee would beat a prime mike tyson by over a 3-1 margin...

In fact, if you google Lee vs Tyson most of the internet thinks bruce would kill him... lol.

Bruce would likely shoot a Prime Tyson:

"Guns!! Now why not pull a 45 and BANG...settle it!?"

There's a difference between a guy being great at one thing, versus a guy being great in general. To deny that Bruce was a great person is absurd. He had a huge effect on the entire World. No one needs to understand that for it to be true. Who knows why? All that matters now is that it happened. There are many Martial Arts, many cultures of people, and many industries (including things people don't think of like bodybuilding, general fitness, and supplementation) that owe their thanks to ideas implemented by Bruce Lee.

I'm not denying he was a great person although I never knew the man...I just take argument with how he's idolised for having supposedly done things that were done way before he was even born - the only thing I feel that Lee really did was bring martial arts to forefront & inspire a new generation of martial artists as well as getting people to talk about martial arts more globally.

Was he the first to realise that cross-training is important - no, was he the first to implement weight training & general fitness to MA's - no, the only thing you may have a point on is supplementation & nutrition.

I can name a host of guys from the past who've contributed much more to martial arts as a whole - unfortunately in the case of Bruce Lee people & hardcore fans have contributed to the mysteria around the man - I think it far a greater insult to the man himself to exaggerate his legacy - like what he really did was not good enough - which is an insult - who else can boast of having inspired martial artists to better themselves & for the layman to try his hand at martial arts the way Lee did - I think that is a far greater legacy, there have been many great martial artists but very few with the ability to inspire others - Bruce imho stands at the top of that list, no-one had such an impact the way he did.

But let's be honest about his martial contributions & not exaggerate or attribute things to the man that aren't true - his martial contribution pale significantly in retrospect to the contributions made by men like Jigoro Kano, Funakoshi, Oyama etc etc - you only have to look at their said contributions to see it for yourself.

I'm not denying he was a great person although I never knew the man...I just take argument with how he's idolised for having supposedly done things that were done way before he was even born - the only thing I feel that Lee really did was bring martial arts to forefront & inspire a new generation of martial artists as well as getting people to talk about martial arts more globally.

Was he the first to realise that cross-training is important - no, was he the first to implement weight training & general fitness to MA's - no, the only thing you may have a point on is supplementation & nutrition.

I can name a host of guys from the past who've contributed much more to martial arts as a whole - unfortunately in the case of Bruce Lee people & hardcore fans have contributed to the mysteria around the man - I think it far a greater insult to the man himself to exaggerate his legacy - like what he really did was not good enough - which is an insult - who else can boast of having inspired martial artists to better themselves & for the layman to try his hand at martial arts the way Lee did - I think that is a far greater legacy, there have been many great martial artists but very few with the ability to inspire others - Bruce imho stands at the top of that list, no-one had such an impact the way he did.

But let's be honest about his martial contributions & not exaggerate or attribute things to the man that aren't true - his martial contribution pale significantly in retrospect to the contributions made by men like Jigoro Kano, Funakoshi, Oyama etc etc - you only have to look at their said contributions to see it for yourself.

The problem isn't with Bruce, though, nor is it necessarily the fault of his fans. It was the improvement of media in the era he came up in. He was a pioneer in the openness of the things he did, and the exposure to the World. Kind of like the argument we had about mitts (which Bruce Lee also used before Boxers were widely exposed to them), there were earlier versions than those that Emmanuel Steward popularized. But with him they became staples. Bruce is similar. He wasn't the first to do many of these things, but he was much of the World's first exposure to them.

I found a poll a while back where people voted that bruce lee would beat a prime mike tyson by over a 3-1 margin...

In fact, if you google Lee vs Tyson most of the internet thinks bruce would kill him... lol.

Thats awesome, just googled it haha!!!

Back