Bruce Lee on the Heavy Bag

Hating on Bruce Lee is what the uber cool, counter culture kids do these days.

Not really, I think people who supposedly 'hate him' point out rather obvious truth's to people who idolise the man & attribute things to him that aren't factually correct.

I think hating on Bruce is what hardcore fans do when they make up shit about him that really isn't true, the one that probably irritates me the most is father of MMA.

That's baloney. There's more love for Bruce Lee than there is hate, way more. Anyone in the MMA or TMA business that trashes BL publicly will only damage their career as BL is an MA icon. Maybe for the amateur or MMA hobbyist, we can freely voice our many doubts about BL, as we have nothing to sell. Saying that BL was never a great fighter is not hating on him, that's just dumb and a word that little kids overuse.

But it's true that the guy never fought anyone credible. Look at what his followers lists as being his fights.....vs. "some unruly stagehand" on a movie set....WTF? His biggest fight was against Wong Jack Man, who basically was a Kung-Fu nobody. Look at how many Kung-Fu masters got disassembled and destroyed in the early UFC's where everything was allowed, other than biting and eye gouging (but Kung-Fu fighters could still have eyegouged & bitten and still win and just get a small fine). And Wong Jack Man was no master. Yet no one knew who won that fight. Just that Bruce Lee dodged Wong's challenge to a 2nd match in public to settle it. And after that fight, BL pretty much renounced his style of Wing Chun and started crosstraining Boxing, Muay Thai, etc. to later develop JKD.

There's more love for Bruce Lee than there is hate, way more.

I stopped right there. That's why it's called "counter culture". If a majority of the community loves something, then those in the counter culture will revile it just for the sake of doing so when ultimately the truth is really some where in the middle.

Much like ten years ago people looooooooooooooooooved Fred Durst and Limp Bizkit, but now it is unpopular to do so and its the cooooool thing to trash them. And it goes on with many other public icons, musical acts, actors, writers, etc.

Anyway, some of the most successful fighters and personalities of all time attribute their interest in Martial Arts to Bruce Lee for whatever various reasons, and that is a lasting legacy that will outshine any physical confrontations. When you are a larger than life personality, then legends about you will grow and grow as they are passed on. We see this through all of human history.

Last edited:
That's baloney. There's more love for Bruce Lee than there is hate, way more. Anyone in the MMA or TMA business that trashes BL publicly will only damage their career as BL is an MA icon. Maybe for the amateur or MMA hobbyist, we can freely voice our many doubts about BL, as we have nothing to sell. Saying that BL was never a great fighter is not hating on him, that's just dumb and a word that little kids overuse.

But it's true that the guy never fought anyone credible. Look at what his followers lists as being his fights.....vs. "some unruly stagehand" on a movie set....WTF? His biggest fight was against Wong Jack Man, who basically was a Kung-Fu nobody. Look at how many Kung-Fu masters got disassembled and destroyed in the early UFC's where everything was allowed, other than biting and eye gouging (but Kung-Fu fighters could still have eyegouged & bitten and still win and just get a small fine). And Wong Jack Man was no master. Yet no one knew who won that fight. Just that Bruce Lee dodged Wong's challenge to a 2nd match in public to settle it. And after that fight, BL pretty much renounced his style of Wing Chun and started crosstraining Boxing, Muay Thai, etc. to later develop JKD.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Wong Jack Man was a nobody; he was the representative of the Jing Mo Athletic Association that established the association's San Francisco branch, which in turn has been a major presence in San Francisco's "gong wu" scene since the '60s. He's up there with the other old timers like YC Wong and, for better or worse, Bruce Lee's own si hing Chris Chan.

You really need to research your kung fu history before making a claim like that; you'd get laughed out of SF Chinatown for such a statement.

Bruce Lee didn't have body hair. If he did...or at least a toughman stache (think Bronson, Reynolds, Bill Louie)...I think this thread wouldn't exist. Just think of guys in a bar giving a staredown with those epic staches. They just scream "you better not spill my drink" without saying a word. Its projection...because they know and you know. The bangiest studs have staches. Remember Don Frye!?

There are more then enough good fighters who never compete, who are still very tough. Gym wars counts too you know. As long as the sparring is hard, and the sparring partner is good.

So the whole: Bruce was crap because he was not a pro fighter is just silly IMO

2012114224353_Bruce_Lee_sparring.jpg

Bruce-Lee-Sparring-300x223.png

a72cab5c44d35ae31f28382e3551763e.jpg

I stopped right there. That's why it's called "counter culture". If a majority of the community loves something, then those in the counter culture will revile it just for the sake of doing so when ultimately the truth is really some where in the middle.

Well the truth hurts for many so they don't want to hear it.

Anyway, some of the most successful fighters and personalities of all time attribute their interest in Martial Arts to Bruce Lee for whatever various reasons, and that is a lasting legacy that will outshine any physical confr
ontations. When you are a larger than life personality, then legends about you will grow and grow as they are passed on. We see this through all of human history.

I already told you why this is so.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Wong Jack Man was a nobody; he was the representative of the Jing Mo Athletic Association that established the association's San Francisco branch, which in turn has been a major presence in San Francisco's "gong wu" scene since the '60s. He's up there with the other old timers like YC Wong and, for better or worse, Bruce Lee's own si hing Chris Chan.

Well that was way, way, way, way, way, way, way after he fought Bruce Lee and established himself.

But at the time of this fight, he was certainly a Kung-Fu nobody.... fresh off the boat Chinese guy working as a waiter at a coffee shop in Chinatown. Himself and Bruce Lee were nobodies trying to establish a name for themselves. Wong was also going around look to pick up students to teach, including Whites (which he had). Bruce Lee was also posting flyers challenging people to fights. Wong answered the flyer, thinking it was a sporty fight. Bruce Lee started attacking his eyes and nutsack right off the bat. I also read that Bruce Lee punched a 70+ year old Tai Chi guy in the chest and dropped him..... in what was only supposed to be a pushing demonstration.

And I also meant Kung-Fu nobody in a sense that the early UFC dismantled all of that Kung-Fu hocus pocus real quick that today, not many people who fights, cares about Kung Fu that much anyway, let alone Kung-Fu masters with a lot of slap fight titles.

You really need to research your kung fu history before making a claim like that; you'd get laughed out of SF Chinatown for such a statement.

The truth hurts? I don't care to go to SF Chinatown anyway.

There are more then enough good fighters who never compete, who are still very tough. Gym wars counts too you know. As long as the sparring is hard, and the sparring partner is good.

So the whole: Bruce was crap because he was not a pro fighter is just silly IMO

I wouldn't say he's crap, just not on the same level as champion fighters. He got a lot better after the fight with Wong Jack Man, where he only had Wing Chun and streetfighting. He seems to even admit how crappy Wing Chun was afterward.

What about the people that say Bruce Lee would beat up Tyson? Are they all crazy....stop trying to change our minds!

And I also meant Kung-Fu nobody in a sense that the early UFC dismantled all of that Kung-Fu hocus pocus real quick that today, not many people who fights, cares about Kung Fu that much anyway, let alone Kung-Fu masters with a lot of slap fight titles.

The truth hurts? I don't care to go to SF Chinatown anyway.

For a guy with "SanShou" in his name, you're pretty dismissive of the roots of your sport LOL.

For a guy with "SanShou" in his name, you're pretty dismissive of the roots of your sport LOL.

Because I'm no sucker. Sanshou's ideology is pretty much the trashing of useless flowery forms in the interest of training only techniques that works in a real fight.

Every time someone mentions Bruce Lee, I think of the movie Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, you know, the one with Holly Hunter in it?

Then I immediately think of Holly Hunter in Dumb & Dumber, specifically this scene:

w5b6g01.gif

I don't know why, it just happens.

Every time someone mentions Bruce Lee, I think of the movie Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, you know, the one with Holly Hunter in it?

Then I immediately think of Holly Hunter in Dumb & Dumber, specifically this scene:
w5b6g01.gif

I don't know why, it just happens.

Was that an ass double?

Much like ten years ago people looooooooooooooooooved Fred Durst and Limp Bizkit, but now it is unpopular to do so and its the cooooool thing to trash them. And it goes on with many other public icons, musical acts, actors, writers, etc.

Anyway, some of the most successful fighters and personalities of all time attribute their interest in Martial Arts to Bruce Lee for whatever various reasons, and that is a lasting legacy that will outshine any physical confrontations. When you are a larger than life personality, then legends about you will grow and grow as they are passed on. We see this through all of human history.
Hating Fred Durst has ALWAYS been the cool thing to do. ALWAYS.

You know what I hate the most? When people don't understand that BRUCE LEE was ON TO SOMETHING in his TIME and THAT WAS MIXING MARTIAL ARTS... It's shown clearly he wrote notes and experimented! jeez! Bruce lee's time, he was scratching the surfaces! Stop trying to compare it to now. It's like comparing boxing from the old days to the modern day and say, the way these old boxers punch is so incorrect!

You know what I hate the most? When people don't understand that BRUCE LEE was ON TO SOMETHING in his TIME and THAT WAS MIXING MARTIAL ARTS... It's shown clearly he wrote notes and experimented! jeez! Bruce lee's time, he was scratching the surfaces! Stop trying to compare it to now. It's like comparing boxing from the old days to the modern day and say, the way these old boxers punch is so incorrect!

Jigoro Kano was doing that in the 1800's by mixing different traditional Koryu schools to form Judo...

Edward William Barton Wright was doing it in the 1899 with Bartitsu.

Kimura & Oyama were doing it in the late 40's & early 1950's - with Karate & Judo.

etc etc etc etc

He was on to something that guys before him had already long figured out - so why do people act like he was the first....I will never know.

Jigoro Kano was doing that in the 1800's by mixing different traditional Koryu schools to form Judo...

Edward William Barton Wright was doing it in the 1899 with Bartitsu.

Kimura & Oyama were doing it in the late 40's & early 1950's - with Karate & Judo.

etc etc etc etc

He was on to something that guys before him had already long figured out - so why do people act like he was the first....I will never know.
because he was the one to have the idea but also a huge media profile to broadcast it as well as being articulate and charismatic enough to bring the strengths of the idea across.

Back