Burger chain stepping up its game and it's not just convenient kiosks

I've been saying this for years regarding our economy and the safety net:
as we head towards a more Service orientated economy, and w/ automation now replacing some of those jobs...

The arguments for a stronger safety net are just going to get stronger and worse. Low skilled, low educated people now will have even less chances to succeed. Less people w/ have retirement pensions or other packages. Unions are practically nonexistent or powerless in many fields, etc....

If the disparity of wealth is bad now, what is it going to be in say 25 years?

good luck poor people haha

Sometimes, depending on the industry, these new regulatory compliance measures require the purchase of special tools or devices, so it's an upfront cost. I can't speak to the restaurant business.
Depends on the industry, but generally speaking, upfront equipment costs are much much higher. As for the restaurant business it's not even close.

I doubt they'll keep people around. Most stores will probably go obsolete in 20 years and we'll have Idiocracy style kiosks.

Automated food dispensers make me think of humans as dogs and cats in the animal farm

s-l300.jpg

Yup. By the time the minimum wage dust settles most of those jobs won't even exist and we will be onto the universal income debate, where we pay people to live (ie purchase automated products).

Would be funny if they called it universal welfare

So raising the minimum wage encourages innovation... another reason to do it.

Who's surprised the market is finding its way around government mandated hikes
382.gif

giphy.gif
It would happen regardless of whether $15 min wage was in place or not. Automobiles did not take over from horses because the government passed regulations favorable to hourse-n-buggy owners and stipulated horses be treated humanely.

LOL @ the morans in this thread.

"Its the Minimum Wage that is driving this zhit!!!!!"

So no innovation happens unless the government mandates a MW? The government should mandate a 30$/hr MW then we could colonize other planets with armies of robot servants and none of us would ever have to work again.

Sounds like the MW might be one of the greatest things to ever happen to humanity.;)

LOL @ the morans in this thread.

"Its the Minimum Wage that is driving this zhit!!!!!"

So no innovation happens unless the government mandates a MW? The government should mandate a 30$/hr MW then we could colonize other planets with armies of robot servants and none of us would ever have to work again.

Sounds like the MW might be one of the greatest things to ever happen to humanity.;)

I think all MW does in this context is to speed up the process by tilting the math towards automation.

I'd rather trust food coming from a chain restaurant then street food. You just can't trust the cleanliness of street food.

You can usually see the food being prepared in a street food joint.

I think all MW does in this context is to speed up the process by tilting the math towards automation.

Which encourages and fosters innovation. Sounds like the MW isnt so bad after all and is in fact, a boon to business and society.

Which encourages and fosters innovation. Sounds like the MW isnt so bad after all and is in fact, a boon to business and society.

Pros and cons, pros and cons

Might be more cons for small businesses, but big business would be in a better position to move into automation.

I've been saying this for years regarding our economy and the safety net:
as we head towards a more Service orientated economy, and w/ automation now replacing some of those jobs...

The arguments for a stronger safety net are just going to get stronger and worse. Low skilled, low educated people now will have even less chances to succeed. Less people w/ have retirement pensions or other packages. Unions are practically nonexistent or powerless in many fields, etc....

If the disparity of wealth is bad now, what is it going to be in say 25 years?

good luck poor people haha

Got a kick out of that last sentence lol.

I'll play devils advocate since 99% of the thread believes this might be the end all be all for minimum wage employees. Lol

Retraining of employees that are displaced because of innovations in technology does occur in this country. As much as Europe? No. Does everyone that should use these training programs, community college tech schools use them? No. I Think that we can all agree that there are training programs and may not be utilized to the fullest. But why are they not utilized the way lawmakers and the rest of the public think they should.

People are lazy? Yeah there are some lazy fucks out there. Are there opportunities for work in another state that a former minimum wage worker can take advantage of? Possibly, but at what cost to the unemployed person. Sure we live in the US and can freely move from one state to another but labor mobility might be a little more difficult because of the skills the employee has or doesn't have, certifications might not translate from state to state, creating a barrier that can be overcome though, or simply for financial reason.

But the safety net issue is a problem. And I think @HunterSdVa29 is right sbout the disparity between the have and have not in the years ahead. How does a government raise or borrow enough money to support all these fuckers.

At the same time productivity in the US has been going up since the 70's at a steady rate and yet wages have not kept up. Why have we been convinced that the money that is generated by business is bettter of in the businesses hand and not the workers.

The CBO did a study back in the mid 2000 on hiking the minimum wage to 10.10 an hour(This was before the $15 hr bullshit). In the US the wage categories below poverty level to 125k all as a whole had higher income. The only group that didn't was the 125k (six times the poverty wage level. With the CBO estimating the poverty rate between 18,000 and 24,000 depending on family size). in total the CBO estimated that if the minimum wage was raised to $10.10 in 2016 the upper class or whatever you wanna call them ($125k per year and up) income would in total be$17 billion less that year.

But with that increase to $10.10, half a million people that had low paying jobs before the hike, would be unemployed.

Something else to look at is what would increasing the minimum wage do to the federal and state budgets.

That really wasn't devils advocate. I don't think the minimum wage should be $15 for anyone. Lol if you lived in Mississippi you would be ballin cause you worked at the 7/11. Should it be raised. Yes. But 15 is crazy.

One of the great things about this country is all these large cities that are increasing their MW will give us great real time data and not economic theory bullshit to go by.

Got a kick out of that last sentence lol.

I'll play devils advocate since 99% of the thread believes this might be the end all be all for minimum wage employees. Lol

Retraining of employees that are displaced because of innovations in technology does occur in this country. As much as Europe? No. Does everyone that should use these training programs, community college tech schools use them? No. I Think that we can all agree that there are training programs and may not be utilized to the fullest. But why are they not utilized the way lawmakers and the rest of the public think they should.

People are lazy? Yeah there are some lazy fucks out there. Are there opportunities for work in another state that a former minimum wage worker can take advantage of? Possibly, but at what cost to the unemployed person. Sure we live in the US and can freely move from one state to another but labor mobility might be a little more difficult because of the skills the employee has or doesn't have, certifications might not translate from state to state, creating a barrier that can be overcome though, or simply for financial reason.

But the safety net issue is a problem. And I think @HunterSdVa29 is right sbout the disparity between the have and have not in the years ahead. How does a government raise or borrow enough money to support all these fuckers.

At the same time productivity in the US has been going up since the 70's at a steady rate and yet wages have not kept up. Why have we been convinced that the money that is generated by business is bettter of in the businesses hand and not the workers.

The CBO did a study back in the mid 2000 on hiking the minimum wage to 10.10 an hour(This was before the $15 hr bullshit). In the US the wage categories below poverty level to 125k all as a whole had higher income. The only group that didn't was the 125k (six times the poverty wage level. With the CBO estimating the poverty rate between 18,000 and 24,000 depending on family size). in total the CBO estimated that if the minimum wage was raised to $10.10 in 2016 the upper class or whatever you wanna call them ($125k per year and up) income would in total be$17 billion less that year.

But with that increase to $10.10, half a million people that had low paying jobs before the hike, would be unemployed.

Something else to look at is what would increasing the minimum wage do to the federal and state budgets.

That really wasn't devils advocate. I don't think the minimum wage should be $15 for anyone. Lol if you lived in Mississippi you would be ballin cause you worked at the 7/11. Should it be raised. Yes. But 15 is crazy.

One of the great things about this country is all these large cities that are increasing their MW will give us great real time data and not economic theory bullshit to go by.

This is the longest poetry i have seen you spurt out of your quivering orifice. It is quite sound and delicious Mr Laundry, you should feel proud. I can now begin to taste aspects of your being. ..

This is the longest poetry i have seen you spurt out of your quivering orifice. It is quite sound and delicious Mr Laundry, you should feel proud. I can now begin to taste aspects of your being. ..
{<redford}

This is probably going to lead to a basic income provided by the government...

Think they are trying it here in ontario in a few communities.

Not much different than welfare tbh
That would explain my lack of tax refund this year.

Reality shows are notoriously fake. You shouldn't believe everything you see.
I've done inspections in restaurants and bars. Some are great, some are disgusting.

California is the movie idiocracy, they will have push buttons for everything.

Another dangerous bleed heart liberal idea.
Its the compassionate thing to raise the minimum wage.
And the results are more people will now be out of work.
Thanks libs.

Well Maccas pays the minimum wage in Australia plus penalties and they along with all other takeaways manage to stay open. I think you guys have been bullshitted hard by these business owners.

Anyway these robots will start showing up everywhere regardless of minimum wage or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back