Can Stipe Miocic stop the Francis Ngannou train?

I like Frank, but I think Stipe wins. He's much more refined and equally capable of the KO.

<34>

nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif
Simon Cowell?

Ngannou will destroy him. This guy is different kind of beast we ever seen on heavyweight. Stipe is simply too slow to stand and trade with Ngannou. Ngannou is also too strong for his wrestling.

Regarding wrestling: we all saw how successful Overeem was in holding him against the fence.
This is true, he reversed the master of clinch like it was nothing. Francis is so incredibly strong his somewhat unrefined technique is compensated by it.

This is true, he reversed the master of clinch like it was nothing. Francis is so incredibly strong his somewhat unrefined technique is compensated by it.

To be fair that wasn't Ubereem in the clinch but still I think he showed Stipe will almost certainly not be able to manhandle him there, if anything I think the clinch is likely to be Ngannou's strength unless he gasses.

If he beats him should they raise the asking price on his mouth guard?

stipe.jpg

I doubt very much Stipe will get him down with wrestling. Francis is too damn strong. I think Stipe has a better chance to win by using more crafty standup. I think Francis wins by KO though.

Always go with the tried and tested guy, Stipe is the best until someone proves otherwise.

Chael P Sonnen weighs in, and brings some interesting variables.

Can Ngannou overcome the current champ, on less than a couple months notice?

And what if Stipe switches things up, and uses his collegiate-level wrestling?

This fight has SO many interesting, unanswered questions...

He should, but to what extent has he transitioned to a stand-up based fighter?

The Aldo decay was an interesting case in MMA. A BJJ guy who managed to become good enough at a version of Muay Thai that he never showed any (or very little) ground game in MMA. He stuck by his belief in his stand up to the very end, like a captain that goes down with the ship. When a superior better striker showed up, he had no plan B.

I wonder if Stipe can be a more flexible and adaptive fighter, the way Cain has been at HW. Cain was "like water" in that he fought according to the opponents weaknesses instead on relying on a subset of his strengths. Of course, that failed against Werdum, who I think is just a particularly bad match up for Cain's own strengths, at sea level or altitude.

I think Stipe can turn it into a wrestling-boxing match and win. But if Ngannou is the monster he appears to be, it can look like JDS-Stipe 1, only worse for Stipe.

Ngannou sends him back to the fire house disappointed if Stipe can get felled by a Stefan Struve uppercut, a Ngannou uppercut removes head & shoulders....

bVTfB4f.gif
giphy.gif

He should, but to what extent has he transitioned to a stand-up based fighter?

The Aldo decay was an interesting case in MMA. A BJJ guy who managed to become good enough at a version of Muay Thai that he never showed any (or very little) ground game in MMA. He stuck by his belief in his stand up to the very end, like a captain that goes down with the ship. When a superior better striker showed up, he had no plan B.

I wonder if Stipe can be a more flexible and adaptive fighter, the way Cain has been at HW. Cain was "like water" in that he fought according to the opponents weaknesses instead on relying on a subset of his strengths. Of course, that failed against Werdum, who I think is just a particularly bad match up for Cain's own strengths, at sea level or altitude.

I think Stipe can turn it into a wrestling-boxing match and win. But if Ngannou is the monster he appears to be, it can look like JDS-Stipe 1, only worse for Stipe.
Great post, friend

interestading...

But no. Stipe cant.

i think ngannou is too strong... even if he has horrible TDD he can overpower stipe...

Yeah, I like Stipe a lot, but I think Francis is gonna over power him and stop whatever td attempts Stipe brings

I don't think this goes past the first round.. Francis is going to be the bigger, stronger and more imposing guy.. I just don't see who can beat him right now

Not until someone of equal brute strength and size comes along and neutralizes his physical advantages.. This guy is just a behemoth of a man that is looking unstoppable

Knocking Overeem to the netherealm was definitely his arrival. We got the feeling he was on another level when he kimura'd Hamilton and ko'd Arlovski, but just over powering Overeem like that was all I needed to know

Stipe had a good run but he's in deep shit imo.. He's gonna need some serious immigrant mentality to derail this guy

I couldn't believe Reem came straight in with big looping punches. Obviously, Stipe can't do that. Stipe has great angles... but he also comes straight in a lot. He can't do that this time. I gotta assume he's learned that by now. So he needs to play it smart & cut angles... & mix in leg kicks... & even faints the take down with the goal of getting inside on Ngannou.

Most importantly, gets those takedowns... & negate the big man's power by putting him on his back.

He's the only man that has a chance not named Velasquez.

The last guy Velasquez fought at HW that was from France almost KO'd Velasquez twice. Velasquez wrestled him to a UD.

Thought I would be the only one picking Stipe to win this due to the huge hype behind Francis .
It's heavy Weight and Stipe hasn't fought for awhile , So I hope he has been working on his game while he has been on the sidelines because I hope he keeps his belt solidifying himself as one of the best HW in the history of MMA

Back