Coast Guard removes employee from Florence duty over alleged "white power" gesture

You think that means that no one should be removed from duty at the COs discretion after they violate UCMJ?

Why would I think that? I’m pointing out that even in the military leadership has guidelines that allow them to use discretion.

I don't know this dude's history. Does he have a history of making racist comments to co-workers? Was he dared to troll folks? I don't know the situation.

Was it a stupid move considering the current whine-fest going on and overly sensitive mood of society? You bet . . .

So history is what makes something disrespectful to the CO? History is how we decide whether something deserves discepline?

Wouldnt want to offend the poor babies breaking the law. I guess you are right. We should strip the CO of judgement in situations like this. Clearly you know best.

It’s mind boggling how the leftist posters can just ignore all the pictures of other people using this exact same sign

To be fair. It seems only the bat shit crazy ones have stuck around

This thread is rampant with White Progressive Ethno-masochism.

Jesus Christ, some of you guys see racism everywhere...and when you don't, you just make shit up.

This thread is rampant with White Progressive Ethno-masochism.

Jesus Christ, some of you guys see racism everywhere...and when you don't, you just make shit up.

I do see our Leftist buddy did actually bail out of this thread after all the pictures of other people using the sign flooded in. Smart move

So history is what makes something disrespectful to the CO? History is how we decide whether something deserves discepline?

I never said history makes something disrespectful . . . nor did I bring up his CO. I simply clarified a question about why some of you feel the need to make a rash decision about firing someone over a stupid hand signal that may or may not have been intentional.

Wouldnt want to offend the poor babies breaking the law. I guess you are right. We should strip the CO of judgement in situations like this. Clearly you know best.

Where in the world did this crap come from? That's mighty rich of you to infer that I think I know best based on the crap you're posting in here.

If the USCG wants to court martial this dude for that hand gesture that's not something I'm going to lose sleep over . . .

@nac386 , you are one of the more sensible left leaning posters here...

do you think this Coast Guard employee should have been fired or reprimanded?

@nac386 , you are one of the more sensible left leaning posters here...

do you think this Coast Guard employee should have been fired or reprimanded?

He definitely needs to be reprimanded. That's a serious moment on air discussing a crisis in which people are losing their lives and this ass is goofing off in the background for the camera on live TV. I think he embarrassed the Coast Guard and made a jerk of himself on national television. People keep talking about, "Well, what did he mean by that?" But the bottom line is, he is goofing off on live TV while at work.

How he is reprimanded is up to his employer. I think that should depend on how well he is able to explain his actions.

It’s mind boggling how the leftist posters can just ignore all the pictures of other people using this exact same sign

To be fair. It seems only the bat shit crazy ones have stuck around

I don't think anybody is doing that. I think people just recognize that it seems like a goofy deflection, honestly. Traditionally, it's the "okay" sign. It's also commonly a children's game. More recently, it's been a sort of weird hand gesture used by some people in the creepy section of the right wing. People use it for different purposes.

So the questions are:

1. Is it inappropriate and embarrassing no matter what? Yes. It's obviously inappropriate to weasle into the TV frame during a live interview, while at work, and try to throw up hand gestures in the background. Even getting on camera and waving behind your boss would be embarrassing.

2. What did he mean by it? Well, I told you the three options. Here they are again:

- Would he use the sign to mean "okay" during a live broadcast about a crisis, but try to hide it and be sneaky? Why the hell would he do any of that? Lol. That makes absolutely no sense at all.

- Would he play a children's game during a live broadcast about a crisis? That would explain the sneaky part, but it's humiliating for his employer to say a guy that immature and thoughtless works for them.

- Would he do some weird internet troll sign during a live broadcast about a crisis? That would explain the sneaky part, and would also be humiliating for his employer.

Watch the video and decide for yourself which one of those makes the most sense. I think it's pretty obviously either 2 or 3, since the first option makes no sense at all. But all three options make him an idiot, immature, and thoughtless.

Then ask yourself, do you want that moron working for the Coast Guard?

@LogicalInsanity I'm interested in your take here too.

Not sure what to make of it...

I've played the circle game with my brother, cousins and friends and this dude broke the most important rule of the circle game - the circle has to be made below the waist. you can't just put it up next to your head (as he did in the vid). any veteran circle player will tell you it's an invalid move. you actually get penalized for doing that (get punched for it).

so was he actually playing the circle game or not? I dunno. logically thinking.. no he wasn't cause it's not a legal move. is the guy stupid for pulling this stunt on tv? yeah most definitely... was he flashing a white supremacist sign?.. I dunno... I am leaning on no but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be real and true...

I don't think anybody is doing that. I think people just recognize that it seems like a goofy deflection, honestly. Traditionally, it's the "okay" sign. It's also commonly a children's game. More recently, it's been a sort of weird hand gesture used by some people in the creepy section of the right wing. People use it for different purposes.

So the questions are:

1. Is it inappropriate and embarrassing no matter what? Yes. It's obviously inappropriate to weasle into the TV frame during a live interview, while at work, and try to throw up hand gestures in the background. Even getting on camera and waving behind your boss would be embarrassing.

2. What did he mean by it? Well, I told you the three options. Here they are again:

- Would he use the sign to mean "okay" during a live broadcast about a crisis, but try to hide it and be sneaky? Why the hell would he do any of that? Lol. That makes absolutely no sense at all.

- Would he play a children's game during a live broadcast about a crisis? That would explain the sneaky part, but it's humiliating for his employer to say a guy that immature and thoughtless works for them.

- Would he do some weird internet troll sign during a live broadcast about a crisis? That would explain the sneaky part, and would also be humiliating for his employer.

Watch the video and decide for yourself which one of those makes the most sense. I think it's pretty obviously either 2 or 3, since the first option makes no sense at all. But all three options make him an idiot, immature, and thoughtless.

You neglected to mention that he may have just scratched his head.

You neglected to mention that he may have just scratched his head.

I did not mention that because it's ridiculous.

It's funny to me that Golden Nirvana flat out said he was trolling the "insane left" by making hand gestures that are associated with white supremacists by online trolls, and none of you said a word to him about it. Lol.

It makes me wonder what some of you are actually thinking. I gave three reasonable explanations (I use reasonable lightly). He gave one single concrete explanation, that the guy was using the sign because he knew it was associated with white supremacists and that it would upset people.

Maybe he was just letting his kids at home know that he was okay.

The coast guard just wants to get back home to their families at the end of the day.

So the questions are:

You are just wrong. It is still a stupid kids game. And the VAST majority of people have no clue it has anything to do with skinheads or whatever

Also lol at you trying to act like these pictures of others doing it are old. Some are in the last few months

Using your logic. Ocasio Cortez should be removed from her seat immediately.

You see racism when you want to see it. You think you can choose who is racist/trolling and who is not. Sorry dude, you do not have the power to see inside someone and see what they feel

You are just wrong. It is still a stupid kids game. And the VAST majority of people have no clue it has anything to do with skinheads or whatever

Also lol at you trying to act like these pictures of others doing it are old. Some are in the last few months

This responds to almost nothing that I said.

I am just wrong about what?

It is a stupid kids game....yes, I said that.

I said the pictures are old? No I didn't.

What did you even read? It obviously wasn't my post.

@LogicalInsanity can you do better than that? Otherwise I guess I'll assume nobody intends to be honest about this at all.

first of all it is NOT just a kid's game. full blown adults play that shit (people in the army for example). second of all he played it wrong. the sign needs be shown under the waist line.

This responds to almost nothing that I said.

I am just wrong about what?

It is a stupid kids game....yes, I said that.

I said the pictures are old? No I didn't.

What did you even read? It obviously wasn't my post.

@LogicalInsanity can you do better than that? Otherwise I guess I'll assume nobody intends to be honest about this at all.

let me watch the video again...brb

I did not mention that because it's ridiculous.

It's funny to me that Golden Nirvana flat out said he was trolling the "insane left" by making hand gestures that are associated with white supremacists by online trolls, and none of you said a word to him about it. Lol.

It makes me wonder what some of you are actually thinking. I gave three reasonable explanations (I use reasonable lightly). He gave one single concrete explanation, that the guy was using the sign because he knew it was associated with white supremacists and that it would upset people.

I accept your explanations as plausible and I offer one more of my own: it was unintentional. It's not ridiculous to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back