Colby might be a success story for non-elite fighters

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Hilarious how all of Sherdog is mentioning "he looked worse because he was inactive" as an excuse. No shit he looked worse, and those of us who watched the sport for more than a year all predicted that prior to the fight while others were saying nonsensical shit like "no way he'll lose after insulting Leon so bad and with Trump watching." Little kid weirdo mentality that whoever has the meanest insult wins a fight and that Trump sitting there transfers magic powers to a guy, eclipsing the facts that he ducked fighting for 18 months to get an unearned 3rd title shot while not being ranked in the top 5 (but artificially maintained his top 5 status through inactivity).

This past year shows a few things:

1. A huge chunk of fans have no idea what they're watching in terms of skills/analyze fights with the above kindergarten mentality. This appears to have worsened since WWE and UFC merged.

2. The American vs Dagestan wrestling meme was already dead as observed by those of us who understood grappling, but this should have killed it even among casuals. The same entry tried over and over, getting shut down by a Brit (elite Brit but still a guy who did grappling only later in his life) over and over. Funny how technically clueless many fans are: for years not understanding what they were watching. I remember all the "prime BJ" people saying he'd stop Khabib TDs and beat him... this in a world where prime BJ lost to a Colby-esque grappling approach (solely meant in terms of lack of TD variety) from GSP in their rematch (push to fence - same entry over and over - eventually get it). You have any idea what prime Khabib would have done with that same BJ against the fence for nearly half an hour? Hint: it wouldn't be a stalemate for huge chunks of time involving 20 double-leg attempts.

3. MOST OF ALL HOWEVER: Colby's strategy paid off. In that sense he is a success-story for lack of elite skills somehow still being treated as being elite. He CHOSE to duck Khamat and Shavkat these past 18 months just like he CHOSE to not fight a single legit contender over the past 5 years. I laughed out loud when the broadcast team was STILL milking his RDA win (his last win over a contender) last night, 47 years after the fact. Yes, he lost the title fight. Yes, he was exposed for his skillset not being near what people claimed (for YEARS clueless people have said every legit contender would have a super-hard time vs Colby with absolutely 0 evidence). Yes, he would have lost to any top 5 talent and lost his spot if he didn't refuse to sign to fight all of them. BUT he showed that all you need to avert those facts is, like a bot, say "FOR THE TROOPS AND LAW ENFORCEMENT!" and then wave a flag and it'll obscure those things so you get a third title shot. Doesn't matter that he lost... in fact the manner in which he lost proves he shouldn't have been in there in the first place which is MORE OF A RINGING ENDORSEMENT for the fact that success is possible in today's UFC despite mediocrity.

TLDR #1: The template has been set for non-elite skillsets on what to do with your career at the end of your athletic prime. Ride out a larger cultural meme to obscure your mediocrity. If you earn a ranking sit on it forever. Good things will come to you. Maybe not good enough to win a title because you aren't that skilled no matter how bad you jury-rig it, but good enough that your career will be extended in that you'll get preferential treatment (from 3 title shots to getting interviewed by Joe after you lose a lopsided UD) instead of getting squashed by a real contender (ie: what would have happened if Colby signed to fight Khamzat a year ago).

TLDR #2 (counter-hypothesis): The template was set but in the OPPOSITE way. If you're a young fighter watching: DON'T do what Colby did. Yes he artificially got a 3rd title shot, but he also ensured it was a loss (by choosing to duck / sit on a couch for 18 months). So you should fight the contenders/stay active so even if you lose and your career spirals downward you can at least live with it 30 years later, knowing you gave it your all and can show your grandkids the best version of you losing on a semi-big stage instead of the "fresh off the ducking couch" version of you losing on the biggest stage.

Which TLDR do you think is more accurate? I am leaning towards #1 personally and think many young fighters will draw the same conclusion in the TKO Holdings era, but I could also see younger fighters coming to that #2 conclusion as well.

Last edited:
Nope.

Hes a jerkoff that has the worst heel acting persona, of which doesnt result in exciting fights.

The entire fight setup was a waste. He was inactive, didnt earn the title shot, acts a fool at the press conference that was only worthy of cringe, then the guy appears gun shy, earning him a very much deserved L.

This asshole told Leon "I was in character" while promoting his own fight. My goodness. That moment of fear followed him into the fight, giving us, yet another boring colby fight.

Colby embarrassed himself so bad even Trump walked out on him. Disowned him.

Dana White must have been pissed that Colby upset Trump like that.

Trump almost ordered his secret service to put a hit out on Colby but felt bad.

Colby be like " thank you to the first responders because that's exactly who I call when a fighter gets too close to my face"

Nope.

Hes a jerkoff that has the worst heel acting persona, of which doesnt result in exciting fights.

The entire fight setup was a waste. He was inactive, didnt earn the title shot, acts a fool at the press conference that was only worthy of cringe, then the guy appears gun shy, earning him a very much deserved L.

This asshole told Leon "I was in character" while promoting his own fight. My goodness. That moment of fear followed him into the fight, giving us, yet another boring colby fight.
See the post above yours which poked fun at the Sherdog trope popular for years that he did good in losses (despite losing twice definitively) vs the champ somehow justifying a 3rd title shot after years of inactivity.

That would be absolutely impossible in a division based on merit with emerging contenders like Khamzat and Shavkat. Impossible. So this thread asks the question of whether a mediocre fighter being treated in a non-mediocre way will reinforce for young fighters (especially young fighters without a championship skillset, who are the VAST majority of fighters by definition) that the way to maximize your career's success (as a non-champ fighter) is to emulate Colby. Do what has proven to work...

Colby be like " thank you to the first responders because that's exactly who I call when a fighter gets too close to my face"
lol

Non elite? lol so I guess that means Usman isn’t elite either. Dude had a long layoff and is 36. Leon had a huge size advantage over a blown up lightweight.

Wasn’t Leon on his back holding on til the end of the fight against a “non elite” fighter

Non elite? lol so I guess that means Usman isn’t elite either. Dude had a long layoff and is 36. Leon had a huge size advantage over a blown up lightweight.
Only means that if you're slow. Like the sort of guy that can't see that the "long layoff" around the age of 36 was self-inflicted due to a calculation to avoid fighting any legit contender / was the result of him consciously deciding to sit on a fucking couch for 18 months at the tail end of his athletic prime, and then bitch about the results of that choice as if it's an excuse when he comes up short yet again vs elite talent.
Wasn’t Leon on his back holding on til the end of the fight against a “non elite” fighter
Excellent point. He won half a round against the champ in 2023!! He won a few rounds against the other champ over the 5 years prior this fight!! In a division with undefeated killers getting shafted over, hand Colby his participation trophies!

If actually celebrating clear losses to elite fighters doesn't sound like moral victories for the non-elite then I don't know what does.

Colby got caught by father time. He has a solid resume with good wins...in his prime. He is clearly past his prime, similar to Tony Ferguson. We have all seen father-time catch up with great fighters; BJ Penn, Chuck Liddell, Dominick Cruz, Jose Aldo, Frankie Edgar, Nick Diaz, Robbie Lawler... All of these guys, including Colby were elite in their prime but declined significantly as they aged. Add Colby to the long list of guys who continued past their prime and were exposed.

He cannot compete with the top 5 guys and should move on.

You need new hobbies
I'm talking about MMA on an MMA forum. The same hobby you are indulging in right now.
Colby got caught by father time. He has a solid resume with good wins...in his prime. He is clearly past his prime, similar to Tony Ferguson. We have all seen father-time catch up with great fighters; BJ Penn, Chuck Liddell, Dominick Cruz, Jose Aldo, Frankie Edgar, Nick Diaz, Robbie Lawler... All of these guys, including Colby were elite in their prime but declined significantly as they aged. Add Colby to the long list of guys who continued past their prime and were exposed.

He cannot compete with the top 5 guys and should move on.
And if you were a young fighter that is NOT elite and you were watching Colby? What lesson would you take from him?

Was him artificially preserving his top 5 status for an extra 3 years a success story for you?

Or was it a warning to do the reverse (fight contenders while in your prime and risk your career collapsing, but it collapsing in your prime on a medium stage instead of collapse post-prime on the biggest stage)?

He realized he wasn't going to be rich being himself so he did a "heel turn."

It worked and he made a lot of money.

Not bad for a guy who can't bust a grape and has no submission threat.

You forgot to add how Colby was begging Poirier (a lightweight with zero wrestling and who has never fought at welterweight) to fight him so he could get a cheap 5 round wrestlefest, ala Masvidal, and continue to fool his idiotic fanbase. That's the only fight Colby was willing to accept during his layoff.

Dana finally turned on him and exposed him at the presser for sitting out and rejecting fights. Colby is finished.

I generally agree with the OP.

He made the most with what he had I think.

9-1-1 Colby is an absolute embarrassment to freedom and the American people. He let a Red Coat walk in on patriot soil and take a giant shit on freedom and our constitution. That all amounts to treason, if you ask me. I bet Nancy Pelosi could kick Colby's ass at this point.

This fake news nonbinary loser needs to deported. Merica has no time for losers, only winners, like the greatest rapper alive, Kid Rock.

Back