Computer Question (I've exhausted all other resources)

Then you have a driver issue. That's what he is trying to tell you.

In the screenshot Windows is indicating that the Mouse attached to it is a Microsoft-branded PS/2 mouse, or the older type of mouse that plugs into a computer using that purple port in the jpeg he posted above. That used to be the standard long ago. Yet your mouse isn't using that port. You're plugging it in using the USB port.

So you have a USB mouse plugged into your computer, and your computer is reading it as a PS/2 mouse. That's your apparent issue.

<PlusJuan>

Exactly. Now we know that Windows is using the incorrect mouse driver, we can look into fixing it.
Unless someone comes up with something else before i do, i can give you @BEER something to try when i get home later today.

I had a work desktop that I used a USB touch pad. Every now and then it would stop recognizing the touch pad. I'd have to reboot to get it to recognize it again. Maybe just use a PS2 mouse?

Then you have a driver issue. That's what he is trying to tell you.

In the screenshot Windows is indicating that the Mouse attached to it is a Microsoft-branded PS/2 mouse, or the older type of mouse that plugs into a computer using that purple port in the jpeg he posted above. That used to be the standard long ago. Yet your mouse isn't using that port. You're plugging it in using the USB port.

So you have a USB mouse plugged into your computer, and your computer is reading it as a PS/2 mouse. That's your apparent issue.

<PlusJuan>

Exactly. Now we know that Windows is using the incorrect mouse driver, we can look into fixing it.
Unless someone comes up with something else before i do, i can give you @BEER something to try when i get home later today.

Thanks for the replies.

I would definitely appreciate any help when you get the chance.

2914df20157ae1ec9a384fe3ee939e4d.png

@BEER

We'll first see if you have a compatible driver on your computer. If the following doesn't work, our best bet is to download mouse drivers for one of the mice you're using.

Get to the screen posted above (hardware tab of the mouse properties).
Click on Properties, and then click on Change Settings.
Click the Driver tab and click on Update Driver.
Click Browse my computer for driver software, and then click on "Let Me Pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
By default, Windows will open up the update driver software window with the selection "show compatible hardware" checked off and you should have, at the very least, the Microsoft PS/2 Mouse in the Model window. If there is an entry for HID-compliant mouse, select that and click Next and follow the prompts to finish installing the driver (Windows should have these drivers already on the computer natively). If there isn't an entry for HID-compliant mouse, reply back to this with what is listed.

If, doing the above kills your mouse, just unplug it and plug it back into a different USB port.

Good luck.

@BEER

We'll first see if you have a compatible driver on your computer. If the following doesn't work, our best bet is to download mouse drivers for one of the mice you're using.

Get to the screen posted above (hardware tab of the mouse properties).
Click on Properties, and then click on Change Settings.
Click the Driver tab and click on Update Driver.
Click Browse my computer for driver software, and then click on "Let Me Pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
By default, Windows will open up the update driver software window with the selection "show compatible hardware" checked off and you should have, at the very least, the Microsoft PS/2 Mouse in the Model window. If there is an entry for HID-compliant mouse, select that and click Next and follow the prompts to finish installing the driver (Windows should have these drivers already on the computer natively). If there isn't an entry for HID-compliant mouse, reply back to this with what is listed.

If, doing the above kills your mouse, just unplug it and plug it back into a different USB port.

Good luck.

This is what I got:

239497e07457c5392d14efd1b1d01c2a.png

This is what I got:

239497e07457c5392d14efd1b1d01c2a.png

That's odd that Windows would think it's a PS2 mouse when it's a USB mouse.

Have you changed this driver before?
If not, then the issue may be due to incorrect USB driver. Just post a screenshot of device manager with Universal Serial Bus Controllers expanded so i can see all the USB device names.
If you did (or someone working on your computer did), then deselect the checkbox for "show compatible hardware", find and select Microsoft for Manufacturer and select HID-compliant mouse for Model, click Next and finish prompts to change the mouse driver.

I work in IT. If it can't be fixed in a half hour its time to get a new computer.

That's odd that Windows would think it's a PS2 mouse when it's a USB mouse.

Have you changed this driver before?
If not, then the issue may be due to incorrect USB driver. Just post a screenshot of device manager with Universal Serial Bus Controllers expanded so i can see all the USB device names.
If you did (or someone working on your computer did), then deselect the checkbox for "show compatible hardware", find and select Microsoft for Manufacturer and select HID-compliant mouse for Model, click Next and finish prompts to change the mouse driver.

I haven't done anything with the computer. It was built as a bitcoin mining machine, and I'm planning to build around the video card.

This is what I got, following your instructions:

8ad6fa87ea8471694907624cfc23fab0.png

I guess there aren't any drivers.

I haven't done anything with the computer. It was built as a bitcoin mining machine, and I'm planning to build around the video card.

This is what I got, following your instructions:

8ad6fa87ea8471694907624cfc23fab0.png

I guess there aren't any drivers.

Yes, these drivers are motherboard specific.
Hopefully you have them already, either on CD/DVD/thumb drive or downloaded.
If not, you'll have to download them all from the manufacturer's site (or legit mirror).

If you do not know your motherboard manufacturer and/or model #, you can use a utility program like CPU-Z to determine both (along with tons of other info about your hardware configuration).
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a PS2 mouse?

What a roller coaster ride this thread is.

If not, you'll have to download them all from the manufacturer's site (or legit mirror).

If you do not know your motherboard manufacturer and/or model #, you can use a utility program like CPU-Z to determine both (along with tons of other info about your hardware configuration).

Thanks for all your help. I reckon I can figure it out from here.

Fuck pretty much every other response here.

Thanks for all your help. I reckon I can figure it out from here.

Fuck pretty much every other response here.

Hey bro I know I'm late to the party but I often find it helps a lot with mouse issues if you lube the mouse up and try to insert it in your ass, tie the keyboard cord to the other end of the mouse cord and push it up there too. That way you've made yourself some odd shaped anal beads. Might be helpful for the stress this situation h as caused you.

I just got around to installing the drivers, and everything works well now. Thanks again for all the help.

I just got around to installing the drivers, and everything works well now. Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks for reporting back on your solution. Glad it worked and it might help others.

Back