Congressman to UFC, Bellator: "Move to a real league system"

"Mullin: Okay, so what criteria does the MMA use for the ranking system? The UFC specifically?

Ratner: The UFC, there's a group of sports writers. I'm not sure how many and they are the ones -

Mullin: Do they serve at will of the UFC?

Ratner: They serve? No, they're independent.

Mullin: They serve at will. The UFC reserves the right to remove anybody off that [ranking] commission that they choose."

"Ratner: Last Saturday night we had three world titles.

Mullin: World titles? So when [UFC Chief Operating Officer] Lawrence Epstein came and talked to me and he said they don’t look at the title as being a title but as an award bestowed upon the best fighter that night, would you agree with that statement?

Ratner: I do. Just going back to Saturday night -

Mullin: Then it’s not really a world title.

Ratner: It’s a world title as far as we’re concerned.

Mullin: Not if you’re considering it an award bestowed upon the best fighter. It can’t be. When you have the last three fights for the 185-pound, as I said in my opening statement. When Luke fought Bisping, Bisping was ranked number 4. The number 3, the number 2, and the number 1 contender, did they refuse the fight, like in the boxing world they do?

Ratner: In the boxing world what you have there is step aside and there’s all kind of games -

Mullin: Okay, but did they? Did the number 3, 2, and number 1 contender have an opportunity to fight or did it go straight to Bisping?

Ratner: I am going to make it clear again that I am not part of that -

Mullin: But you said in the opening statement and you said the fighters and the MMA and boxers are treated the same"

Reaction:
<{anton}>

Source:
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/11/17/16668308/ufc-bellator-mma-ali-act-markwayne-mullin

Video:

Pretty much what I have been arguing about these "independent journalists" who supposedly make the rankings since day 1.

A legitimate ranking system would add ummm, legitimacy to the "Sport", but the UFC is also a business and have the right to run it the way they see fit. Congress can come up with their own ranking system if they care so much or KTFO of business affairs. WHY are our elected officials spending time on this issue?

Football stopped a civil war, show some respect

Meanwhile, the highlight of the NFL was when Madonna performed in the halftime show LMAO

Madonna can fit a hog between her teeth

When are congressmen gonna move to a real issue?

Why are they arguing a ranking system in a D-level sport equivalent to pro
wrasslen.

UFC’s match making is none of their business.

Interstate commerce is one of their major responsibilities. This is high school level curriculum people.

Interstate commerce is one of their major responsibilities.. This is high school level shit btw.

What does UFC's match making have to do with interstate commerce?

It's a private business, if the people don't want to watch the matches the UFC is making, they can vote with their wallets. But it's the opposite case. It's not the government's job to tell the UFC how to do its job, that's what the customers do.

He’s right but I otherwise see no point in this going to Congress.

All talk. No action. Weak on borders. Weak on crime.

Interstate commerce is one of their major responsibilities. This is high school level curriculum people.
Yes, and the free flow of commerce should not be impeded so that people have access and the UFC's fate will be determined by the people.

The UFC picked a bad year to try and sell MMA as a legitimate sport...it's awesome, but it's niche. Who cares? It's not worth an argument

Crazy how a few years back we were sold a story that the ranking system was being put in place to legitimize the system

wolf tickets

It wasn't widely discussed but Dave Meltzer said that Fox is the one that requested a ranking system. UFC wasn't interested because they just want to put on whatever fights they want. Fox basically forced them because they thought it would help casual sports fans follow MMA.

We have Fox to thank for at least trying to add some legitimacy. I couldn't imagine how bad it would be right now without the rankings.

What does UFC's match making have to do with interstate commerce?

It's a private business, if the people don't want to watch the matches the UFC is making, they can vote with their wallets. But it's the opposite case. It's not the government's job to tell the UFC how to do its job, that's what the customers do.

I'm not going to look up Interstate Commerce Act of 1887 for you.
1) It was designed for regulating private business.
2) It is Congress' job whether you like it or not.

Rinaldo is a great soccer player...that doesn't mean he'd be a great fighter...some of the greatest fighters of all time...probably weren't the best all around athletes...you can be a great athlete, but be sucky fighter...

You think rocky marciano was a great athlete..how about jake lamotta...or george foreman...they weren't..but they will destroy any of these lebron james wussies...guaranteed....

Remember Joe Frazier trying to swim?

The government should go mind it's own fucking business.

Definitely true, the Gov. should stay out of our lives as much as possible, and they tend to do the opposite.

However, can't disagree with the guy. I'm tired of the circus show, it's becoming too much like a pro-wrasstlin mash-up.

If you want to know what the UFC would look like if it used "a real league system" check out Elias Theodorou tonight. Everyone would be fighting just like that: not-to-lose and taking zero risks because only the "W" matters.

At least in today's UFC Elias will not be rewarded for wasting everyone's time.

I do find it funny (actually more sad than funny) that UFC talks about their "world champions" when the people who get a chance to compete in UFC, and then again to compete for said championship are not selected due to being the best. It really does make the sport look rather stupid.

I've said it before: within 10 years UFC will be putting on scripted matches, and will be completely out of real competition less than 10 years after that. The entertainment is making them more than the sport aspect of it, and they're going to keep steering in that direction.

It's pro-wrestling spectacle with real fights. Not accepting it will just make you unhappy.

The UFC should call itself the UFE and just market themselves as an illegitimate sport with no credibility and stop trying to portray MMA as a 'sport" whereas it should be more like WWE to make more money.

At least this would get Congress to leave them alone.

Back