Courage under Fire: The Art of takin an ass-whoopin.

Sinister

Doctor of Doom
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
So one of the most recent questions around here lately has been "how do I get hit without ______?" Be it pissing the pants, panicking, losing the tempter, closing the eyes, etc. I thought I'd give my perspective on the matter, because it's arguably the hardest thing an intelligent adult male can face in the ring. That is, to resolve to take damage and be alright with it. And there are things that can make it easier. First, let's begin with the do's and dont's.

DON'T:
Be tense. Flexing is bad and wrong. So is erratic movement. If you're all flexed-up and edgy, you're burning energy and you're going to be gassed before you know it. When you're tired, everything hurts more.

DO: Be loose. My trainer says there's a difference between loose and relaxed. When you're relaxed you can be caught day-dreaming, when you're loose you're mind and eyes are alert, but your shoulders aren't flexed up and your movements aren't erratic.

DON'T: Run or jump. Jumping is not only silly, but it's wasteful and it lets your opponent know where you're going. Guys like Roy Jones Jr. could get away with it, and maybe you're the next RJJ, but there's a 99% chance you're not. So stop jumping. Running is also not good, don't back-pedal to the point of cowardice, you'll only end up somewhere and be twice as tired once you're there and getting hit.

DO: Step and slide. Stepping and sliding makes life easier. I'd even argue for MMA that the "explosive" movement learned in Wrestling can be modified to be a bit more loose and compact as opposed to big and powerful. When you're circling your opponent, small steps rule, sliding movement rule.

DON'T: Swing. Swinging your punches uses way too much energy. By swing I mean with your arms. This is something I'm in the process of really refining, as I tend to arm-punch when moving at full speed. It doesn't accomplish much save for by me time, and I don't want to just buy time with my punches. Neither do you.

DO: Twist. Learning to twist your body with your strikes will give you offense and defense at the same time, and you won't have to burn energy doing one or the other as hard as you can. I'm learning to twist as opposed to swing, and it's working out well.

DON'T: Panic and guess. Frightening yourself leads to guessing how to get out of it. Guessing usually doesn't work in Combat. It leads to getting hit with unexpected shit, which is far more painful than anticipated shit. Part of guessing is when a guy closes his eyes and throws a punch, that's a panic and guess all in one. But what you're liable to get hit back with by the guy who keeps his eyes forward and anticipates your shot, will be what ends the Fight. I've only ever seen one guy in Boxing get away with closing his eyes on the Elite level, and no one here is Marco Antonio Barrera.

DO: Be alert and think. Thinking is the opposite of guessing in Combat the way I see it. If I'm thinking and you're guessing, I'm in control. Even if you throw over 100 guesses at me in a 3 minute round, I'm liable to land more of my 80 thoughts than your 100+ guesses. Get my meaning? Don't lose your head. Wait for the other guy to do that and you'll coast.

DON'T: Hope. If you go to the Gym and you "hope" you don't get your ass whooped that day, just don't go in and save yourself the trouble.

DO: Decide. If you go to the Gym and have decided that you'll learn from even the most grave possible outcome of the impending ass-whoopin', you'll be alright. You might even find yourself able to think when you're over-matched, as opposed to guessing. A long time ago Josh Barnett got beaten up by Pedro Rizzo, right? (I think it was Rizzo.) Back when Josh was fatter and in the UFC. But Josh gave Rizzo a lot of trouble, because he decided to go into that Fight thinking, not hoping.

Methods of practice:

There are actually ways to train this up that don't necessarily require hard sparring, though that is the ultimate training tool. Here's some ones if you're just starting out.

Ring/Cage tag: The little Ugandan speedster who tore me apart showed me this. What you do is one person starts out trying to touch the other person. Gut, shoulders, chest, those are fair game. You can use your open hands to block, or you can use your footwork. It's actually very fun when you get up to full speed, and you learn how to function with your heart-rate high, adrenaline pumping, and someone trying to touch you while you try to get away from it, within the confines of the ring or cage.

Touch-and-run: In Boxing, Jesse Reid (World Class trainer) is notorious for having his younger budding Fighters do a lot of this exercise. It's almost like partnered Shadowboxing, only light touches and taps are allowed. Full speed, minimal power. This gets you used to punches coming at you, and tends to be faster than just light sparring. Plus, minus the gear, the feel of threat is a bit heightened.

Playing defense: Occasionally do rounds of only defense in your lighter sparring sessions. Put yourself in corners and let your opponent run off numbers, keep your defenses up but really look at the guy while he unloads. See the openings, the ways out, the ways around. Concentrate on just seeing them, and staying loose, not tensing up.

Full power to the body: This is another one that's used by old school trainers because of how it almost always goes down. It almost always leads to in-Fighting, where panic can be at it's highest. And almost always accidentally someone will get popped in the mouth, at which point everything stops, and you decide it's okay. That decision is what has to be made more rapidly in live sparring or harder sparring.

Take a full round of whoopin': One of the guys I sparred with routinely was very very experienced. Every time I ever saw him spar other people who tried to maul him, he did next to nothing for the first round. But that's not the case, he was always watching, paying attention, seeing how the other guy moved, and realizing how much energy it took to handle the storm from each particular guy. Once he had that figured out he'd start to fight back, more times than not he'd end up dropping the guy eventually. Rashad Evans is one of the few MMA guys who understands what a "feeling out" round is and how to use it right. But in sparring it's a valuable tool. If you don't know the guy, give yourself a round to feel him out, let him think he's getting over on you, but watch for his flaws, he's bound to have some.

Now in-terms of the movement techniques I named, those you'll have to ask your own Coaches about. I've had to learn this the hard way myself. In the thread asking who the best Fighters were we sparred with I named a guy, Rodge Gorman. He was the most physical person I'd ever gotten in with. Watch how he Fights:

And here's a small HL:

He got the better of me a bit, and my trainer always said the same thing. "Ya kno' 'e comin' right atcha...ya kno' what 'e gunna do." One of the last times we worked in the last round I was pretty tired and fought mostly off the ropes because as you see, he bowls right into you when he can. But my trainer said it was the best round I'd ever had against him. Out of all the ones I did, it was the only one where I wasn't concerned with getting hit so much as I was responding.

I also spar a Mexican kid a lot who is like Rodge only slower and more steady. He puts A LOT of pressure on, hardly ever backs up, and doesn't really feel pain. I only do well when I just keep calm, utilize the things mentioned above, and pick apart at the flaws he does have. Here's how that looks:

That was the 4th and 5th rounds and I'd already sparred another guy. So I was a bit fatigued and my main concern was keeping him respectful. Staying calm and keeping my cool worked out well, particularly in the closing moments of the rounds.

Hope that helps.

Good thread Liu. I'll have to keep the tips in mind next time I spar. Although I suppose the only way I can get good and analyzing a opponent to find weakness in a "feel out" round is through experience correct?

Yeah. You're in the position of kind being thrown to the wolves a bit, which suggests your trainer actually has some faith in your abilities. Feeling-out rounds with guys like you get in there with tend to look bad for you, and will hurt, but you'll see things. I promise.

Yeah. You're in the position of kind being thrown to the wolves a bit, which suggests your trainer actually has some faith in your abilities. Feeling-out rounds with guys like you get in there with tend to look bad for you, and will hurt, but you'll see things. I promise.

Or he's just a crazy, blood thirsty Italian dude. But you didn't hear that from me :D

Speaking of Mike, when that dude was in his Prime he was excellent at working through pressure and getting hit. I'd wager it was one of the things he did best, nothing anyone did bothered him:

adding this to favorites. hope you don't mind but i'm going to print this up to share with some of my friends

The best way to get used to getting hit is getting hit. Great post, King!

be loose as opposed to relaxed. man i learned this one the hard way on many occasions. in fact, i made a thread about me catching a vicious 1-2 in the beginning of a spar that almost rocked me to the floor. the only reason was because i got in the ring thinking i was "calm" and "loose" but in reality i was as relaxed as pie. Which resulted in me dumbing down my reaction time and catching a mean cross. now i'm wary of the difference.

Fuck I forgot an exercise...editing now.

Sticky please!

Seconded.

I'm just now in the process of stepping up my sparring and taking amateur fights. I love reading practical advice like this and applying it to myself.

Well done.

Also for straight punches: don't throw, snap.
Throwing straight punches and pushing with them is just wasting energy and keeping your arm out for an extra second. Everything you need is in the snap. You want a see someone with an amazing snappy jab, watch Miguel Torres fight tonight in the WEC. He completely destroyed Manny Tapia in his last fight primarily with his jab.
Also, never try and kill someone with one punch. Swinging for the fences wastes a ton of energy, is usually telegraphed and most likely will get you picked apart.

Seconded.

I'm just now in the process of stepping up my sparring and taking amateur fights. I love reading practical advice like this and applying it to myself.

Well done.

i'm at the same stage as well, thanks for all the info KK

true dat on the keeping calm thing.

One of my problems as a guy who's fast but lacks punching power is when I go against guys with power and they decide to start swinging for the fences to take my head off. I know one hit from them will daze me so I start to go on instinct instead of thinking. It's hard.... but I know my problem is that I got too used to my stick and move style working against less aggressive guys and haven't been focusing on taking ass whoopings.

Thing is, I KNOW I can get the better of these rushers when I stick to the plan, but I don't (coach yells something, I do it, and I'm doing good.... then he stops yelling and I stop doing the right things). What I need to do is precisely what was mentioned in the latter half of the OP....

awsome thread ts, its apreciated... i will be looking over this before i spar tomorrow

Very helpful thread. A problem I have sometimes is nerves. I spar guys who are better than me a lot and I can keep cool and they won't try to take my head off.

However, there is this one guy, who is definitely better than me, but not to the level where he can toy with me he has to go hard. He beats the FUCK out of me when we spar. The first time I sparred him I knew he was better than me but I wasn't nervous and I went all out but he dropped me with a body shot. It sucks now because try to go easier hoping he will too but I still get cracked hard.

My question is should I just go as hard as I can and take an ass whooping? Or just go lighter and still take a whooping but not as bad?

The coaches say it will get better with experience and I need to fight aggressive guys who fight at a hard pace to get used to that style.

My question is should I just go as hard as I can and take an ass whooping? Or just go lighter and still take a whooping but not as bad?

The coaches say it will get better with experience and I need to fight aggressive guys who fight at a hard pace to get used to that style.

When faced with the same situation I just play it by however I feel that day. Sometimes a guy can read you in the ring, and on days I've felt slow and not good, my partner would take notice, or my trainer would and say something if the other guy was trying to murder me. You can only move as fast as you can, and you don't want to waste yourself in the Gym. A lot of guys do that.

But on certain days I just decide I'm not getting my ass whooped easily that day, and will go harder. But the odd thing is on those days I'm not as tense and it's usually a lot more fun.

Back