(CTE) Do You Guys Ever Worry About The Future Regarding...

It’s weird that this just came up. The other day I lost a good friend/one of my coaches due to cte. He had over 50 fights and had been knocked out a lot. The last two years he has said he just knows something isn’t right with him. He shot himself the other day but before that said he wanted to donate his brain to Boston university to do research for cte.

It’s a harsh reality. Guys need to know when to stop. He should’ve been done fighting way before he finally quit but didn’t want to. It got to the point where he couldn’t even coach anymore because he suffered from ptsd. If he saw one of his guys start getting beat up it would fuck him up way bad. Just such a sad story.
God damn :eek: Unfortuantely I see this becoming more common in the next 5 years as time catches up to veteran fighters of the late 90s/early 2000s.

Didn't enjoy watching Nog fight for the last few years, getting that way with Shogun.

No, not at all. They know what the risks are. Also, not many fighters are intellectuals anyway.

Every athlete that repetitively gets hit in the head runs the risk of eventually developing CTE. That's just how it goes.
Hell a guy could get it simply by sparring his whole life without a single fight.

Yeah, I recall a fairly recent story of a high school football player who had it as well, that's pretty scary. Aaron Hernandez had CTE bad, might partially explain his crazy actions...age 27. Also, famous BMX'er Dave Mirra had it as well...dead by suicide (he also boxed). I have a feeling this list is going to look intense ten years from now.

They've only started doing HIA for players when they take a knock in rugby not so long ago - which I think they do in the NFL? Some teams have got into trouble for letting players go back on after doing a HIA and come the next tackle they're flattened on their back after taking another impact.

This chap is still only in his early 20s:

Thinking about it now, there was one rugby player who turned up to a party and shot his wife in front of everybody. Be inclined to think he has CTE.

Absolutely. I think the most important thing is that there are frank discussions in public spaces. I'm okay with the idea of a mixed martial arts fighter making an informed decision to risk brain damage later in life to pursue an income and a passion now, but it needs to be an informed decision. In the days of Gary Goodridge, everyone was talking about how MMA is so much safer because there's no standing eight count. These days I think most MMA fighters know the risk they're taking, and that's a very good thing.

CTE, though, is a different monster than most forms of brain damage, because its sufferers are often violent. There's a lot of money going into research, so let's cross our fingers we figure out how to identify and best support fighters with CTE before MMA gets its own Chris Benoit, because we don't, it's kind of inevitable.
I remember a horrible case some years back in which an MMA fighter literally cut the heart out of his sparring partner's chest and cooked it. If I recall correctly, the dude was on mushrooms while he did it and thought the victim was possessed by satan, but after all this research and additional knowledge on the subject of brain injuries and CTE specifically has come out, I just can't help but to think that CTE must've played a part.

I will try to find a link to the article.

Edit: You can find the article here: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...lor-powell-heart-murder-case-article-1.446328

DC, for sure.

Dude has a granite chin, but has taken some HUGE shots from Juicehead Jones, Rumble & Gus.

Now he's fighting Stipe.
The Stipe fight is dangerous, the way hes been reaching in latly when standing is going to be the undoing of him

Back