Dana White Under Oath Claimed He Made Conor a Star

How much credit should White get for Conor's fame?

• Total voters
Dana & Mcgregor are equally responsible for Conor's fame. Dana marketed Conor excellently. Conor had the raw talent and marketability.

The ongoing UFC anti-trust lawsuit continues to reveal interesting tidbits, including that Dana White very much takes credit for Conor McGregor’s rise. He stated the following in a deposition.

“Four years ago, Conor McGregor was available to everybody. Bellator, ONE FC, UFC, everybody out there. Do you know who went out- he was- he was 7 and 2, Okay? Guy’s record was 7 and 2. There’s a zillion of them, right? I went out and got Conor McGregor. I saw him, I liked his personality, and I turned him into a star, one of the biggest stars on earth right...”

View image on Twitter

This is factually incorrect as well as misleading; McGregor was already a two-weight champion in Cage Warriors with considerable hype, and his record was 12-2 when the UFC signed him.

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/2/22/...-credit-for-conor-mcgregor-rise-in-deposition
I don't know how incorrect this is.
they SAW him at 7-2. And he was indeed available to every other promotion, but Dana/UFC got him.
The fact he was a cage warrior champion does not discredit anything he wrote.

The UFC didn't give Conor his personality or the ability to beat his opponents. As much as I can dislike the guy, he helped the UFC a lot more than what it cost the UFC to help him.

Dana the clown likes to take credit, but what he did was sign Conor on his platform. Conor raised the bar and brought the UFC to another level of popularity and the clown has very little to do with it.

That's like when Dame Dash said he made Jay-z and Jay responded on "Lost Ones" with. "N*ggas saying they made Hov/ok make another Hov" If Dana made Conor he can easily make another Conor then.

Zuffa did make Conor into a huge star

they funded him with rentals from jets to cars to suits to the tuf mansion

it helped him getting money persona when really he was on 100/100

the ufc invested in him and it paid off

which is why i always say Ronda > Conor

she didn't need all the funding or stacked cards

floyd took conor above ronda

this is nothing new
said it years ago

gave him good match ups
tv interview
magazine covers

pretended he was a millionaire when he wasn't

if you vote for anything under most
you're a clueless casual who probably os dumb enough to believe conor made 100m from the Floyd fight

and they didn't promote ronda?? Are you kidding....with all the "ONCE IN A LIFETIME" " she can beat guys" She was the most overly hyped fighter in history...yet couldn't back up shit...the moment she lost, she went hiding under a pillow and cried about killing herself...

conor was and is 100x a better promoter of fights than ronda ever was....and floyd didn't take conor above ronda....let me lay some facts on you son....conor's worst ppv numbers are better than ronda's best ppv numbers...he has the highest ppv of all time...in the ufc and of all time...forget about the mayweather fight...he was already light years ahead of ronda...and to say that ronda wasn't hyped like crazy, is just plain stupid and retarded...

Ronda is the one that was on all the talk shows....remember that...not conor...conor only did that after he was past ronda...so trying to be a revisionist..it's not working.

A lot of butt hurt dick riders in this thread. Everyone knows it’s you the delusional fuckboys that made Conor a star. Conor will always be your star kids.

Last edited:
his mouth made the hype, his fists backed it up and solidified the hype...one without the other, wouldn't have accounted for his extreme rise...talking incredible trash...yet backing up every word...saying he would ko aldo in the 1st round and doing it, is one example of why he became so big...
Dana & Mcgregor are equally responsible for Conor's fame. Dana marketed Conor excellently. Conor had the raw talent and marketability.
The UFC didn't give Conor his personality or the ability to beat his opponents. As much as I can dislike the guy, he helped the UFC a lot more than what it cost the UFC to help him.

Dana the clown likes to take credit, but what he did was sign Conor on his platform. Conor raised the bar and brought the UFC to another level of popularity and the clown has very little to do with it.
See my response from earlier:

Dana helped Conor's career by talking about him in interviews, featuring him in commercials/advertisements, and most importantly protecting him through matchmaking.

#30 Brimage: Striker
#67 Holloway: Striker
#30 Brandao: Striker/BJJ
#10 Poirier: Striker/BJJ
#19 Siver: Striker/BJJ | Title Eliminator

Just look at that for a second: no wrestlers and he received a title eliminator fight against the #19 ranked Featherweight. To understand that kind of absurdity: if you did the same thing at the same time in the Lightweight division that would be equivalent to #7 Gilbert Melendez receiving a title eliminator fight against #19 Joe Lauzon.

Meanwhile, at the same time McGregor received a title eliminator against Siver, you had #2 Edgar, #3 Mendes, and #5 Lamas all ranked above #7 McGregor with Lentz being at #9. What they all have in common? Wrestling backgrounds. You also had #6 Swanson whose a very unorthodox striker and had only ever been knocked out once (vs. Aldo, 2009).

Is it any wonder that the UFC tied up all these stylistic nightmares by pairing them against one another? Edgar/Swanson on Nov 2014, Mendes/Lamas on Apr 2015, and Lentz/Oliveira on May 2015.

Booking a short-notice Mendes against McGregor was an acceptable risk for the UFC, especially given the amount of money they had dumped into promoting UFC 189. And we saw what happened while Mendes had energy...

Dana helped Conor's career by talking about him in interviews, featuring him in commercials/advertisements, and most importantly protecting him through matchmaking.

#30 Brimage: Striker
#67 Holloway: Striker
#30 Brandao: Striker/BJJ
#10 Poirier: Striker/BJJ
#19 Siver: Striker/BJJ | Title Eliminator

Just look at that for a second: no wrestlers and he received a title eliminator fight against the #19 ranked Featherweight. To understand that kind of absurdity: if you did the same thing at the same time in the Lightweight division that would be equivalent to #7 Gilbert Melendez receiving a title eliminator fight against #19 Joe Lauzon.

Meanwhile, at the same time McGregor received a title eliminator against Siver, you had #2 Edgar, #3 Mendes, and #5 Lamas all ranked above #7 McGregor with Lentz being at #9. What they all have in common? Wrestling backgrounds. You also had #6 Swanson whose a very unorthodox striker and had only ever been knocked out once (vs. Aldo, 2009).

Is it any wonder that the UFC tied up all these stylistic nightmares by pairing them against one another? Edgar/Swanson on Nov 2014, Mendes/Lamas on Apr 2015, and Lentz/Oliveira on May 2015.

Booking a short-notice Mendes against McGregor was an acceptable risk for the UFC, especially given the amount of money they had dumped into promoting UFC 189. And we saw what happened while Mendes had energy...

Of course you leave out how he destroyed mendes in under 2 rounds...the best wrestler in the division i might add....holloway is to build conor up? The guy is the current world champion and conor beat him easy...go figure...

The ongoing UFC anti-trust lawsuit continues to reveal interesting tidbits, including that Dana White very much takes credit for Conor McGregor’s rise. He stated the following in a deposition.

“Four years ago, Conor McGregor was available to everybody. Bellator, ONE FC, UFC, everybody out there. Do you know who went out- he was- he was 7 and 2, Okay? Guy’s record was 7 and 2. There’s a zillion of them, right? I went out and got Conor McGregor. I saw him, I liked his personality, and I turned him into a star, one of the biggest stars on earth right...”

View image on Twitter

This is factually incorrect as well as misleading; McGregor was already a two-weight champion in Cage Warriors with considerable hype, and his record was 12-2 when the UFC signed him.

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/2/22/...-credit-for-conor-mcgregor-rise-in-deposition

dana gets all the credit.

Nobody cares about your response you nobody. Tldr
And yet you responded anyway.
tumblr_lx9jb1SPMr1qdrpdr.gif

Of course you leave out how he destroyed mendes in under 2 rounds...the best wrestler in the division i might add....holloway is to build conor up? The guy is the current world champion and conor beat him easy...go figure...
Sure, just ignore all the evidence of how the UFC protected McGregor by not pairing him up against wrestlers. And ignore the context of McGregor's fight against Mendes (short-notice) and how easily he got taken down and had no answer for it (was literally asking the ref for help and trash talking Mendes).

You're using a lot of hindsight to argue an irrelevant point. The fact is, the UFC protected McGregor from wrestlers and was willing to gift him a title shot against Aldo with a victory of Denis Siver. They went as far as tying up all the contenders ranked above McGregor who all also happened to have wrestling backgrounds.

Knocking out Aldo in 13 seconds is most certainly an astounding achievement, and defeating Holloway knowing he became the champion after the fact is also noteworthy (although Holloway is a much better improved fighter since then), but not even acknowledging that McGregor was protected in the matchmaking is pathetic bias and denial.

lol at "some" leading the poll. That's not consistent with your incessant bitching about the UFC overpromoting Conor.

Sure, just ignore all the evidence of how the UFC protected McGregor by not pairing him up against wrestlers. And ignore the context of McGregor's fight against Mendes (short-notice) and how easily he got taken down and had no answer for it (was literally asking the ref for help and trash talking Mendes).

You're using a lot of hindsight to argue an irrelevant point. The fact is, the UFC protected McGregor from wrestlers and was willing to gift him a title shot against Aldo with a victory of Denis Siver. They went as far as tying up all the contenders ranked above McGregor who all also happened to have wrestling backgrounds.

Knocking out Aldo in 13 seconds is most certainly an astounding achievement, and defeating Holloway knowing he became the champion after the fact is also noteworthy (although Holloway is a much better improved fighter since then), but not even acknowledging that McGregor was protected in the matchmaking is pathetic bias and denial.

I wrote 6-7 words saying nobody cares about your opinion and here you are writing a wall of text.

PijcGEU.gif

It was only a short notice fight, cause aldo pulled out of the fight...and I have said this many times...the whole "short notice" thing is a farce...mendes was training all along...don't be naive...you don't think he knew that there was a great possibility that aldo would pull out...like he has done many times before...he didn't get taken down at will...I love you haters and your revisionist history...conor was able to stuff over 50% of mendes' takedown attempts, with an injured knee....and lets not forget, the fight didn't even last 2 rounds....and whether or not conor asked the ref to stand them up is a mute point...the ref didn't stand them up...conor landed more strikes on his back than mendes landed on top...he whipped mendes' ass.....simple as that.

Ronda is the one that was on all the talk shows....remember that...not conor...conor only did that after he was past ronda...so trying to be a revisionist..it's not working.

So Conor didn't do the talk show tours before he fought Mendes?

<21>

I wrote 6-7 words saying nobody cares about your opinion and here you are writing a wall of text.

PijcGEU.gif
Except that wall of text wasn't for you, it was for the other person I quoted. Your response took like 10 seconds, don't feel bad <Lmaoo>.

It was only a short notice fight, cause aldo pulled out of the fight...and I have said this many times...the whole "short notice" thing is a farce...mendes was training all along...don't be naive...you don't think he knew that there was a great possibility that aldo would pull out...like he has done many times before...he didn't get taken down at will...I love you haters and your revisionist history...conor was able to stuff over 50% of mendes' takedown attempts, with an injured knee....and lets not forget, the fight didn't even last 2 rounds....and whether or not conor asked the ref to stand them up is a mute point...the ref didn't stand them up...conor landed more strikes on his back than mendes landed on top...he whipped mendes' ass.....simple as that.
Still got nothing in response to the protected matchmaking? I thought so.

It’s all Conor.

Dana runs a business. If he could “make” people into Conor McGregors he would be the richest man on Earth and the UFC would make more money than the European Union.

The so-called favourable matchmaking excuse is nonsense. He earned that shot. Moreso than Hominick, Korean Zombie, Lamas, Florian. He had a 7 fight win streak with 6 finishes. Way better than most of Aldo’s title defense opponents came in with.

Back