Dana White Under Oath Claimed He Made Conor a Star

How much credit should White get for Conor's fame?

• Total voters
but did Dana tell Conor exactly what to say and how to act while on camera?

Who knows, but if you don't think Conor had a team of PR guys paid for by the UFC (who also paid for the cameras, btw) telling him what to do you're crazy.

Marketing is one of the biggest costs of successful business. No marketing, no star. And since Conor wasn't fronting those bills, you can objectively say the UFC made him. It could even be said literally.

Who knows, but if you don't think Conor had a team of PR guys paid for by the UFC (who also paid for the cameras, btw) telling him what to do you're crazy.

Marketing is one of the biggest costs of successful business. No marketing, no star. And since Conor wasn't fronting those bills, you can objectively say the UFC made him.
Conor was talking trash like that before he had money or fame, try again.

Some or half is the right answer. The UFC spent a lot of resources hyping him up, giving him the interm belt when he fought Chad, letting him move up to fight RDA, Letting him rematch Diaz, Letting him fight Eddie.. let him fight Mayweather and ultimately not striping him after this long.

Regardless theres no doubt Conor would've been a star without the UFC's extra help. Conor had to stick his neck out and overtrash talk to gain a following and yes he had to win fights. But picture him still fighting at 145 if the UFC decided to force him to stay at 145 and defend.

Opportunity is a two way street and he was on the Chuck Liddell/Randy Couture express lane.

Last edited:
Conor was talking trash like that before he had money or fame, try again.

And yet he was on welfare until the UFC took him in. Tell me, if he's so self made and was trash talking before why wasn't he a big famous star going into his first UFC contract?

You're making my point.

And yet he was on welfare until the UFC took him in. Tell me, if he's so self made and was trash talking before why wasn't he a big famous star going into his first UFC contract?

You're making my point.

yeah, I'm sure he had a whole team of PR guys paid for by the UFC at the time of this interview, do you realize how stupid you sound?

Conor needed to win the fights even if they were great match ups for him.
Everyone and his mother thought Mendes was going to lay n pray him to a UD. Including Aldo. Great matchups my butt.

You're making my point.
You aren't very bright. If it was all Dana then everyone on the roster would be a mega star like Conor. Maybe just maybe there is something special about him and you're just a dumb hater? He has lots of those.

Again, just so people know:
Dana never said that under oath
He said it at a scrum & transcribed in a deposition.

The ongoing UFC anti-trust lawsuit continues to reveal interesting tidbits, including that Dana White very much takes credit for Conor McGregor’s rise. He stated the following in a deposition.

“Four years ago, Conor McGregor was available to everybody. Bellator, ONE FC, UFC, everybody out there. Do you know who went out- he was- he was 7 and 2, Okay? Guy’s record was 7 and 2. There’s a zillion of them, right? I went out and got Conor McGregor. I saw him, I liked his personality, and I turned him into a star, one of the biggest stars on earth right...”

View image on Twitter

This is factually incorrect as well as misleading; McGregor was already a two-weight champion in Cage Warriors with considerable hype, and his record was 12-2 when the UFC signed him.

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/2/22/...-credit-for-conor-mcgregor-rise-in-deposition

im pretty sure nobody in the US knew who conor was til Ariel helwani put him on his show....
;) just saying

Conor got the same opportunity a lot of other fighters get and it's got nothing to do with Dana.

Rogan laying mad praise on McGregor ever since his first UFC fight did more for Conor's career than anything Dana did.

Everyone and his mother thought Mendes was going to lay n pray him to a UD. Including Aldo. Great matchups my butt.
That fight only happened because aldo got injured LOL 2 weeks notice Mendes.

Fucking legit wow

You aren't very bright. If it was all Dana then everyone on the roster would be a mega star like Conor. Maybe just maybe there is something special about him and you're just a dumb hater? He has lots of those.

Everyone on the roster didn't receive a fraction of investment that Conor did. I don't think you understand that marketing costs money, and Conor was not the one paying the bill. Other fighters didn't receive anywhere near the same investment, so obviously they didn't see similar return.

Maybe you just get a little too excited calling the guy "special" ;)

yeah, I'm sure he had a whole team of PR guys paid for by the UFC at the time of this interview, do you realize how stupid you sound?

Lmao what the fuck, you're still making my point. He had no money at the time of that video. He was nothing. He was on welfare living off of his girlfriend. Why wasn't his trash talking paying his bills then, huh? Where were his fancy cars? The fame? Anything?

It wasn't until the UFC stepped in, invested their money, and gave him all the promotion they could that he became anything. He won his fights and he played along, but the UFC made him.

i hate to say it but there is NO conor mcgregor without dana white. dana and the fertitas deserve 100% of the credit for mcgregor being a huge star. we all sure as ish know he wouldve never been the global icon he is now if he went into boxing because there was no mma.

Ronda was a flash in the pan...an over hyped fraud...who has been exposed. they did the world tour, cause it was a huge fight...and remember, that fight was cancelled, cause aldo pulled out with a fake injury...so all that touring was pretty much for nothing...
Shame you can't like a post more than once.

Uh please.

They could have put him in there with Frankie Edgar who was actually training for a fight but instead they put him in there with Mendes who was deep off season.

Dana KO'd the #1 p4p fighter in 13 seconds
I saw the whole thing

The UFC protected Conor from Frankie Edgar.

Back