Dana's Unwritten Rule

Has this ever happened?
Fight A & B conspire to split show money without having to fight. Fighter A misses weight. Fight is canceled. Fighter B gets paid out in full for showing. Fighter A & B secretly split money and high five.

Eh, most times. Other times, he just gets in some psycho-viking mood and just goes full oppositional for a while. I think it's just a withdrawal from exciting events. He'll be good again in a few days.

Exhibit A

I love me some @HHJ though sir, he's my kind of cunt lol

The one that he was contracted for, trained for, promoted for and showed up for.

I mean, according to your logic, why not just schedule every single fighter on the roster for each PPV and let them know who's fighting when they show up?

Then you never have to worry about a backup fighter situation because you always got people on standby since you only have to pay them when they fight.

I would actually love that man it would be like the old days dude's just showing up the fight ready to go testing their skills against unknowns hell yeah let's get some tournaments going.

How many tickets and PPV buys were sold because Wonderboy made weight?

Has this ever happened?
Fight A & B conspire to split show money without having to fight. Fighter A misses weight. Fight is canceled. Fighter B gets paid out in full for showing. Fighter A & B secretly split money and high five.
You know there's been a lot of dumb comments here but this might be the dumbest thing I've ever read.
No it's never happened before. And you know why? Because if fighter A and fighter B are in collusion they're not doing that plan to get 50% of ONE of their purses then SPLITTING it. They actually fix a fight bet on a the winner get TWO show money purses and the winner's purse plus gambling earnings.

The apparent UFC/Dana unwritten rule is this:

If your opponent misses weight and you agree to fight him anyway, you get 20% of the other guy's purse, plus UFC has a loong history of paying published bonuses as well as unpublished post-fight "checks";
however;
if you don't want to agree to fight the fatty, then we will offer you an immediate replacement fight and pay you if you fight the replacement opponent;
however;
if you don't want to fight the immediate replacement, then we will book you about 2 weeks from now in a different fight and pay you if you take that fight;
however,
if you don't want that fight either, then we will talk to you about your camp and other expenses and offer you a sum that will get you back to break-even, even though you turned down three available fights (the fatty, the immediate replacement, and the two week fight).

Seems fair to me. Better than what most employers try to do for employees (or contractors).

It's all in how you spin it.

I think it depends on what your show/win money is. But yes i agree, if you decline a replacement, you should not get your show money. But you should get some of your training camp costs.

psycho-viking mood
giphy.gif

Jon Jones opted not to fight Chael when Dan Henderson pulled out. He didnt get paid shit,cos he didnt fight. He knew.

Jon only pulled out because he knew he was going to lose if he fought Chael, which he did when they finally did match up.

Reactions: HHJ
You know there's been a lot of dumb comments here but this might be the dumbest thing I've ever read.
No it's never happened before. And you know why? Because if fighter A and fighter B are in collusion they're not doing that plan to get 50% of ONE of their purses then SPLITTING it. They actually fix a fight bet on a the winner get TWO show money purses and the winner's purse plus gambling earnings.
If they did what you’re saying they’d be found out plus someone would have to lose. My question was to point out whether “pay to show” can be exploited. Especially if a fighter is expecting 250K for not even fighting. I didn’t say 50/50. If a lower paid fighter gets just enough of a cut that he walks away with more than his entire pay without even fighting and the higher paid guy gives up a small percentage to him to get paid nearly in full without even fighting, no injury, no damage no loss on his record. And there would be no gambling or fixed fight involved like what you’re suggesting.

Last edited:
This will haunt Dana in the future when management and fighters start implementing this clause in their contract

The apparent UFC/Dana unwritten rule is this:

If your opponent misses weight and you agree to fight him anyway, you get 20% of the other guy's purse, plus UFC has a loong history of paying published bonuses as well as unpublished post-fight "checks";
however;
if you don't want to agree to fight the fatty, then we will offer you an immediate replacement fight and pay you if you fight the replacement opponent;
however;
if you don't want to fight the immediate replacement, then we will book you about 2 weeks from now in a different fight and pay you if you take that fight;
however,
if you don't want that fight either, then we will talk to you about your camp and other expenses and offer you a sum that will get you back to break-even, even though you turned down three available fights (the fatty, the immediate replacement, and the two week fight).

Seems fair to me. Better than what most employers try to do for employees (or contractors).

It's all in how you spin it.

it is more than fair lol

especially when wonderboy uses his ufc fame to market his main business

wonderboy looks like a complete clown in the light for not compromising on anything

he is overrating his worth to the ufc

There is an unwritten rule, to Dana, that even if your opponent misses weight, you either take the fight anyway, or take another fight ASAP. Many precedents have been set. Just recently, Khamzat missed weight by a whole lot, and Nate did the companyman thing and fought someone else on the same card. Most fighters still fight, accepting a percentage of their missed-weight opponent as compensation. What Wonderboy did in choosing not to fight Pereira was break Dana's unwritten rule. That's why he didn't get paid, even though he and a lot of people think he should have.

Opinions?
So no fighter should go against Dana’s unwritten rules?

Back