Media Holly Holm Unlikely to Fight Kayla Harrison if Kayla Doesn’t Make Weight

”There’s a misperception out there that I walk around at like 180 pounds or something,” Harrison said. “I have walked around most of my MMA career at 165, 160, because I don’t like cutting weight. I don’t believe in cutting weight. I don’t think it sends the right message to kids. That being said, I don’t agree with this but sometimes you have to show up and do things you don’t agree with in order to make your dreams come true.

“The whole time I was [in the PFL], I walked around at 165, maybe 160 and so not only was I usually the smaller fighter with less experience, I was getting in the cage with girls who were getting in there at 180, 175 pounds. Now, that’s not going to be the case.”

”There’s a misperception out there that I walk around at like 180 pounds or something,” Harrison said. “I have walked around most of my MMA career at 165, 160, because I don’t like cutting weight. I don’t believe in cutting weight. I don’t think it sends the right message to kids. That being said, I don’t agree with this but sometimes you have to show up and do things you don’t agree with in order to make your dreams come true.

“The whole time I was [in the PFL], I walked around at 165, maybe 160 and so not only was I usually the smaller fighter with less experience, I was getting in the cage with girls who were getting in there at 180, 175 pounds. Now, that’s not going to be the case.”

If true, then I completely agree with her that it sends a bad message to kids. We'd have better fights and healthier fighters if more would cut less weight and fight closer to their natural weight.

GOOD, that is what should be the norm for ALL fighters.

You signed on to make a weight, do your damn job.

The heck is Kayla on about?

She was pretty clearly the bigger girl against pretty much everyone.

And the only time she had less experience was when she was fighting total cans early in her career or when she was fighting Larissa. She's had 17 fights, and in her last 12 she's had more experience than her opponent way more times than she didn't.

She's literally had twice the experience than some of the recent girls on her record.

She's had 17 fights, and in her last 12 she's had more experience than her opponent way more times than she didn't.

Maybe she's including Amateur MMA bouts or years in the MMA game. Kayla was highly active till 2023.

<Neil01>

Harrison looked like she was NOT having a good day at weigh-ins against Ladd, who she fought at 150lbs. She's 5'8" and has bigger biceps, delts and traps than Dvalishvili, who I consider one of the more muscular 135ers at 5'6". I'm saying it now, she will not make 135 on April 13th, 2024.

View attachment 1026802
View attachment 1026805
What does a pic of three jacked dudes have to do with Holly/Kayla's fight?

What does a pic of three jacked dudes have to do with Holly/Kayla's fight?
One of those pictured will try to make 135lbs for the first official time in her life to fight in the UFC.

Worth a bump after MMA Hour today...

Dana said in Jan. she already made 135...and then there has been talk of her test cut(s), but with no specific details of what she reached.

Today, Ariel asked her when was the last time she weighed 136..."hmmm, probably 18"...and how close to 136 she has gotten in this process..."very close".

So, as I suggested, the test cut was not to the BW limit, but merely a test cut to some level where she felt confident she could do it.

I can't remember a weigh-in with this much of a question mark...a career LW suddenly dropping down TWO divisions...should be interesting.

Kinda hope she blows weight and the fight gets called off.

I don't think Kayla has a place in the UFC. I never thought Cyborg did either. nothing against them personally, not concered that cyborg is a cheat.

There are not enough fighters to build talent around them, they are one off attraction type fighters where you have to search far and wide to find a worthy challenger for.

Back