DC vs Cruz debate about Stephens knee.

Too subjective

How do you know Stephens wasn’t trying to hit Emmett in the torso ala Anderson silva chael sonnnen

Sometimes you can't.

Sometimes common sense leads the way and the obvious is obvious.

You think fighters should be able to feint a soccer kick just to get the opponent to react? That what you're saying?

What on earth is wrong with that?

"Ref, ref! Stop the fight. He made me *think* was going to get kicked in the face!"

Too subjective

How do you know Stephens wasn’t trying to hit Emmett in the torso ala Anderson silva chael sonnnen

This is where I was going with my original point. How do you know they aren't reading the positioning of the persons body, and trying to instigate a heavy strike to land into that small, half second pocket?

This is where I was going with my original point. How do you know they aren't reading the positioning of the persons body, and trying to instigate a heavy strike to land into that small, half second pocket?

You can’t — ref isn’t a mind reader — you go with where it actually landed

If you try to hit the body and you touch the head, that's YOUR FAULT and it should be illegal. its not about intent.

Listen people. If the knee hits the fucking head, its illegal. if it doesn't, its not. THIS ISN'T THAT FUCKING COMPLICATED.

"Ref, ref! Stop the fight. He made me *think* was going to get kicked in the face!"

Because you're threatening with illegal action, you're moving the action via threats of illegal activity.

The defender is forced to react, creating a new situation, to something he shouldn't have to prepare for. The attacker can advance from there. The suggestion it's not illegal until the defender eats the strike is unsafe and unfair.

It's about purity, gamesmanship, sportsmanship, safety and class.

It's completely impossible to know a strikers target? No. Sometimes it's very hard to to tell, sometimes it's very easy.

If you try to hit the body and you touch the head, that's YOUR FAULT and it should be illegal. its not about intent.

Listen people. If the knee hits the fucking head, its illegal. if it doesn't, its not. THIS ISN'T THAT FUCKING COMPLICATED.

They've derailed the discussion to cherry pick against my proposed rule idea and tell me how stupid I am.

I don't know if there is a rule against it or not. I don't think they should be able to use the illegal technique for any reason. Now refs are getting on fighters for leading with their fingers out because of the potential of an eye poke. Why should a fake soccer kick be ok? For instance, in a Bisping fight, maybe Mayhem maybe Jorge, Bisping knew full well the guy was on two knees but he still threw a kick up over his head for some reason. I think it shouldn't be allowed. There's potential for the strike to land and also don't these guys train within the rules? Seems cheap to me.

Because you're threatening with illegal action, you're moving the action via threats of illegal activity.

I don't know if there is a rule against it or not. I don't think they should be able to use the illegal technique for any reason. Now refs are getting on fighters for leading with their fingers out because of the potential of an eye poke. Why should a fake soccer kick be ok? For instance, in a Bisping fight, maybe Mayhem maybe Jorge, Bisping knew full well the guy was on two knees but he still threw a kick up over his head for some reason. I think it shouldn't be allowed. There's potential for the strike to land and also don't these guys train within the rules? Seems cheap to me.

How many times have you seen kicks pulled back, shots stopped half way through the strike, etc. All because people know they were going to be illegal? I've seen fighters go for knees on grounded opponents, and cease when their mind catches up to the action.

This is kind of the point. Those would now be illegal under your new rules.

The defender is forced to react, creating a new situation, to something he shouldn't have to prepare for. The attacker can advance from there. The suggestion it's not illegal until the defender eats the strike is unsafe and unfair.

<PlusJuan>

method=get&s=silva-knee-gif.gif

Looks like he was aiming for the head, no?

It's completely impossible to know a strikers target? No. Sometimes it's very hard to to tell, sometimes it's very easy.
well Jeremy talked about it in his post fight interview he said he saw his palm come up so he threw the knee. They adapted the new rules in Fla so he thought he was throwing a legal knee maybe somebody needs to have a sit down with the fighters to explain what's legal or not.

How many times have you seen kicks pulled back, shots stopped half way through the strike, etc. All because people know they were going to be illegal? I've seen fighters go for knees on grounded opponents, and cease when their mind catches up to the action.

This is kind of the point. Those would now be illegal under your new rules.

Stopping yourself and missing are much different and an experienced ref should be able to decipher it.

Again, I've explained cannot and would not be enforced unless it blatantly malicious in the ref's eye's.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but, this might be the most pathetic conversation I've ever had about MMA.

We are seriously discussing the "threat" of unlanded strikes, that may have had the potential to be illegal, but weren't because they didn't land.

But they may make someone flinch, and as the good Lord wrote, if you flinch because you thought someone was going to do something illegal, you actually get to credit it as something illegal, and disqualify the guy that made you flinch.

Looks like he was aiming for the head, no?

Now you're just being silly. He hit his target. No ref would step in and say "Welll you tried for face". That's an abuse and absurd use of what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about malicious acts, not hair line misses.

I think we're done.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but, this might be the most pathetic conversation I've ever had about MMA.

Cool, nobody is forcing you to read or take part. Buh bye.

Stopping yourself and missing are much different and an experienced ref should be able to decipher it.

Again, I've explained cannot and would not be enforced unless it blatantly malicious in the ref's eye's.

No they aren't? The product of the strike missing, is the effect of the person stopping it.

See where we are going with this? Now we have to figure out by what admission did the strike not land? Was it really going to land, and the guy dodged it? Or it was going to land, and the guy pulled it, but pulled it too late? And it missed, but it "looked" like it was going to hurt according to SuperNerd.

No they aren't? The product of the strike missing, is the effect of the person stopping it.

That's the only way? You only miss strikes when you choose too?

Go way, your tactic has become acting stupid. I'm not interested in talking to you.

Now you're just being silly. He hit his target. No ref would step in and say "Welll you tried for face". That's an abuse and absurd use of what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about malicious acts, not hair line misses.

So by your own admission above. If Anderson would have stopped that strike due to fear of hitting Chael in the face, he could have actually been violating your "new rules" because it appears he was aiming for the head, or at the very least throwing a knee to a grounded opponent.

But, because he followed through with the strike, and hit the body instead (even though it clearly could have hit Chaels face, easily) we can call it legal?

I think we're done.

You've been done for awhile, no offense.

Back