Did kung fu not get a fair shake?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I have noticed that in the MMA most fighting styles have had a representative. I mean in mid 2000s the major styles were thai kickboxing and jujitsu/wrestling mix. Hell even judo and boxing were mistrusted.

Slowly through out the years we saw effective judo and boxing footwork as well as karate based kickboxing and even machidas shotokan karate.

This brings me to kung fu. A country with billions of people. There has to be some crazy kung fu master who is legit. I mean historically the Chinese fought in wars and are intelligent people. Hard to believe they would practice an art form that wouldn't work.

Kung fu was an awesome T.V. series.

The question isn't "does it work?" The question is "does it work as well as the most popular martial arts in MMA; kickboxing, BJJ, boxing?"

Just about every martial art has practical and impractical techniques. It's just a matter of taking the stuff that works and leaving the useless flourishy stuff.

I would never try to crescent kick someone in an MMA fight, but a front thrust kick seems pretty safe.

Iron Fist uses kung fu. He does OK. His girlfriend uses karate. She makes out alright too.

colleen-and-danny-in-iron-fist.png

Jason delucia was a kung Fu fighter and he won a couple fights.

Roy Nelson is probably the most successful Kung Fu fighter in the history of the UFC

Ip Man unfortunately lived in the wrong era. Ask Tyson

Kung fu was an awesome T.V. series.

I like the legend continues.

The question isn't "does it work?" The question is "does it work as well as the most popular martial arts in MMA; kickboxing, BJJ, boxing?"

I mean josh Thompson karate based kickboxing was always considered a sissy version of muay thai while ignoring the fact that thai kickboxing doesent have the versatile kicking or the in-depth stretching curriculum.

Also the karate based kickboxing has a longer learning curve and people are impatient assholes.

Just about every martial art has practical and impractical techniques. It's just a matter of taking the stuff that works and leaving the useless flourishy stuff.

I would never try to crescent kick someone in an MMA fight, but a front thrust kick seems pretty safe.

Some martial arts have a longer learning curve and they demand flexibility. MMA has lots of tough guys but they are not willing to do the form and flexibility because it's not alpha enough.

Snatch this subforum from my hand

I can't.

Iron Fist uses kung fu. He does OK. His girlfriend uses karate. She makes out alright too.

colleen-and-danny-in-iron-fist.png

What style of karate?

Jason delucia was a kung Fu fighter and he won a couple fights.

Roy Nelson is probably the most successful Kung Fu fighter in the history of the UFC

What kung fu style did he do. Roy does train kung fu but doesn't apply it's technique directly.

Ip Man unfortunately lived in the wrong era. Ask Tyson

Tyson is a fan of ip man?

well Cung Le was a san shou based guy, which is derived from Kung Fu right?

I mean close enough

the problem isn't so much the martial art itself it's the monetizing and marketing, especially in regards to the Western cultures adaptation. The whole belt systems in TMAs and the no or light contact aspect probably has more to do with making the art more palatable to the masses and reducing insurance costs than actually devaluing the martial art.

I remember my first experience with judo when I was in my teens there were people there that wouldn't and didn't want to engage in real throws, I had a lady yell at me for performing a hip throw a few months in talking about "you need to learn the gentle aspects of Judo before you can learn the harsh aspects" all she wanted to do was dance around in a clinch and "look for imbalances" it was the biggest load of horseshit and almost killed any interest I could have had in Judo. Fortunately I found some decent instruction later on in life.

Also, just because it's Kung Fuupload_2018-7-25_12-11-15.jpeg Caine was the shit!!

Don't confuse lifestyles w/ fightsyles. Neither mutually inclusive or exclusive.

If you got killed for doing BJJ it'd be capoeira.

Most TMA are little more than boxercise. They're aimed at people that want to keep fit, and teach their kids some discipline. If there were more full contact kung fu schools, you would find it much more effective as a discipline. It's not an issue with the art, it's an issue with the way it is taught and the people that study it.

You would think that Sanda (aka sanshou) would be a very good base for mma stand up.

A friend of mine teaches Kung Fu and they practice sparring and ground fighting. They use protective gear though.

I have noticed that in the MMA most fighting styles have had a representative. I mean in mid 2000s the major styles were thai kickboxing and jujitsu/wrestling mix. Hell even judo and boxing were mistrusted.

Slowly through out the years we saw effective judo and boxing footwork as well as karate based kickboxing and even machidas shotokan karate.

This brings me to kung fu. A country with billions of people. There has to be some crazy kung fu master who is legit. I mean historically the Chinese fought in wars and are intelligent people. Hard to believe they would practice an art form that wouldn't work.
do you really think the Chinese used kung fu in wars?

Kung Fu became illegal and got eradicated (practitioners executed) during the historically recent Mao communist takeover.

So what we have left is pretty watered down, incomplete and pieced together. No doubt it would work a lot better if that hadn't happened.

I think sanshou/sanda (similar to Muay Thai but with throws) still works pretty good today on account of it having spread to the backwoods of other countries before the purge so it never was even interrupted.

Back