Did Simone Biles quit or did she do the right thing by checking out of the Team Finals?

Considering he chose to play, said his dad would have wanted him to play, his team won and he threw for 399 yards with 4 TDs with 0 Ints…yes it was a good thing.

And shouldn't anyone be free to choose in a dire situation without StewDogg11 hanging on their ass because they're not macho enough?

She's a quitter and a representative of this younger, weak generation. If she has mental issues, fine, then quit BEFORE the olympics and give someone else a chance.
The second best person is getting a chance. That's how this works.

Pitching in baseball is a perfect comparison. I pitched up to the college level. A lot of times i felt unhittable. but there were a lot of other times where i didn't have it. the curve ball wan't breaking, no movement on the fastball, etc. Never ONCE did i think of telling my coach i didn't have it that day and i didn't want to pitch. I buckled down, tried to get smarter, and push my way through. Sometimes it worked, and others it didn't. but i NEVER said i didn't want to go
Not exactly the perfect comparison, because being off in gymnastics doesn't mean you might miss your throws, lose the race, or give up a few goals. Being off in gymnastics might mean you land on your head and break your neck. The physical risk is undoubtedly higher.
But I get where you're going with your general point.

She choked/quit.... but she did the right thing by pulling out, give someone else a chance if you can no longer hack it.

And shouldn't anyone be free to choose in a dire situation without StewDogg11 hanging on their ass because they're not macho enough?

Absolutely but it doesn’t make her any less of a quitter. And you questioned if Favre playing was a good thing which obviously he thought that it was hence why he played and won because he showed mental fortitude and toughness that Biles obviously lacks at this point and time.

upload_2021-7-28_11-42-45.png

Interesting, so it sounds like she was feeling like she’s in real danger of hurting herself. Definitely made the right call if that’s the case.

She's a quitter and a representative of this younger, weak generation. If she has mental issues, fine, then quit BEFORE the olympics and give someone else a chance.

How do you know the mental health issues presented themselves before? Seems clear she showed up, attempted to compete, found her abilities compromised, and thus had a qualified teammate sub in for her.

also, she did give someone else a chance. The team had other women who were qualified in those events there to step in if someone couldn’t compete. They weren’t forfeiting routines because there were no back ups present. You are making up fake situations to get offended by

How do you know the mental health issues presented themselves before? Seems clear she showed up, attempted to compete, found her abilities compromised, and thus had a qualified teammate sub in for her.

also, she did give someone else a chance. The team had other women who were qualified in those events there to step in if someone couldn’t compete. They weren’t forfeiting routines because there were no back ups present. You are making up fake situations to get offended by
If that's the case then good, replace her but ESPN made it sound like they had to forfeit a group competition because she couldn't perform

i thought we're talking about the Olympics here, the real top level competition.
ask any athlete which is better, a worlds or an olympic medal and see what they say.
it's like saying that some bellator dude is the best because he has the most wins in bellator.
olympics is the true summit of sports. all else is just fluff.
but ok, i'll grant this argument if it's important to you.

My mention of her accolades/accomplishments was more for context that she is exceptional at what she does - as to whether she is the best to have ever done it, I don't know. Her peers seem to sing her praises, which is normally the best barometer for how good someone really is.

I actually don't follow gymnastics or the olympics closely, I just wanted to point out that she knows what it takes to be the best (moment in time) because she has done it. I personally think she would know better than anyone else whether she had it in her to go out and do better.

While this isn't an exact parallel, many fighters have said that the moment you don't think you want to be in the cage/ring anymore, it's time to retire. I would rather see Simone walk out on her terms, than continue to compete and risk injury just to prove how tough she is.

Canadian coverage just touted it, as the European fellow above said, as "Top American Gymnast Backs Out Of Competition, Citing Mental Health Issues", and that's as far as it went.
In reading a few articles and the statements she gave, and watching the competition after the fact, it does seem she was more scared of hurting her legacy, and maybe where that would leave her psychologically afterwards, than actually being mentally broken and unable to compete.

Also, it really shows a bit of entitlement as an American athlete, to be able to quit. Imagine if a Chinese or Russian athlete fell off the beam and just said "Nope, I'm done." They don't have that privilege, so it wouldn't even cross their mind. Not that that's a good thing, per say, but it's a very different mindset and perspective. Simone's fortunate to be able to quit without serious backlash, let alone be praised for it.

Regardless, she was fun to watch so I wish her the best. Might be time to hang up the leotard competitively though.

I wonder what you do with the Trainers and Doctors who are on the payroll that failed to spot her issues months ahead of time..

And with the Olympics being postponed they had even longer to become aware..

It’s hilarious how people are acting like she did some insanely courageous and awesome thing by backing out. I don’t care one way or the other and don’t ultimately think it’s affects her legacy, but don’t put her on a pedestal for backing out.
No kidding. Imagine caring this much about one athlete dropping out. Kind of weird how rabid people are getting about this.

Meh its has its ups and downs...she knew she couldnt continue so she gave up her spot for the next one. Dont think she'll be getting any 'Mamba Mentality' enorsements over it.

Canadian coverage just touted it, as the European fellow above said, as "Top American Gymnast Backs Out Of Competition, Citing Mental Health Issues", and that's as far as it went.
In reading a few articles and the statements she gave, and watching the competition after the fact, it does seem she was more scared of hurting her legacy, and maybe where that would leave her psychologically afterwards, than actually being mentally broken and unable to compete.

Also, it really shows a bit of entitlement as an American athlete, to be able to quit. Imagine if a Chinese or Russian athlete fell off the beam and just said "Nope, I'm done." They don't have that privilege, so it wouldn't even cross their mind. Not that that's a good thing, per say, but it's a very different mindset and perspective.

Regardless, Simone was fun to watch so I wish her the best. Might be time to hang up the leotard competitively though.

No shit bro,
You know the Russian girls team receiving their Gold medals were like

-We live another four years..

Also, it really shows a bit of entitlement as an American athlete, to be able to quit. Imagine if a Chinese or Russian athlete fell off the beam and just said "Nope, I'm done." They don't have that privilege, so it wouldn't even cross their mind. Not that that's a good thing, per say, but it's a very different mindset and perspective. Simone's fortunate to be able to quit without serious backlash, let alone be praised for it.

Regardless, she was fun to watch so I wish her the best. Might be time to hang up the leotard competitively though.

entitlement is the world expecting athletes who have already competed at levels never seen before in the history of species for years to continue to do so for our entertainment when it’s damaging their mental health.

The closest resemblance to her situation is Phelps back in 12’. He pushed through and competed anyways and then was so depressed after he was suicidal. He was very thankful he didn’t take his own life. Lol at not following in his footsteps being entitlement.

Same in Mexico, with a feeling the press is waiting for the "real "story to break out as the days pass to add their commentary, kinda hard to imagine someone at this level just call it quits for no reason.

entitlement is the world expecting athletes who have already competed at levels never seen before in the history of species for years to continue to do so for our entertainment when it’s damaging their mental health.

The closest resemblance to her situation is Phelps back in 12’. He pushed through and competed anyways and then was so depressed after he was suicidal. He was very thankful he didn’t take his own life. Lol at not following in his footsteps being entitlement.
You don't think the Chinese girls are under the same pressure to perform? They would literally fear for their lives if they pulled something like that. Simone doesn't have to face the same type of consequences for her actions as they would in other countries.
Again, not saying that it's right, but it's a reality.

Edit: maybe entitlement is not the word, but it certainly is a privilege to be able to quit. others don't always have that choice

Last edited:
View attachment 870576

Interesting, so it sounds like she was feeling like she’s in real danger of hurting herself. Definitely made the right call if that’s the case.

The right call for who? Herself and her family? Pfffffffffft.

The mob wants injuries. Injury yourself woman. The mob must be satisfied.

Be "tough" and go out there no matter what.

tumblr_m5qvz9TuDd1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

You don't think the Chinese girls are under the same pressure to perform? They would literally fear for their lives if they pulled something like that. Simone doesn't have to face the same type of consequences for her actions as they would in other countries.
Again, not saying that it's right, but it's a reality.

Edit: maybe entitlement is not the word, but it certainly is a privilege to be able to quit. others don't always have that choice

there’s no one with as many eyes and expectations on them as biles in this olympics and it’s not even close. Actually pretty much been her situation for the last 8 years

no athlete is getting murdered for stepping out of competition, you’re being hysterical.

When i did watch the gymnastics portion, she was fucking up constantly.

Is there another event or is that it?

Back