Did Simone Biles quit or did she do the right thing by checking out of the Team Finals?

she should have walked away before the olympic trials. i imagine that there's probably a dozen or so women that could have qualified to be on the team but simone took up the spot. these women dreamed of competing to have a chance to win gold but simone took that opportunity away.
I agree if that was how she was feeling before she got on the plane. Or training.

Mental health is no joke, but I can't help but feel that it's being used as an easy out for some athletes who might simply be folding under the pressure.

Blocking out the noise is part of being an elite athlete. Where does "mental health" begin and end, when it comes to being put under extreme pressure to perform?

I agree if that was how she was feeling before she got on the plane.

It's a tough decision to make though. Press would have been all over the place as she's a surefire medal. She probably wanted to see if she could power through it. And well she couldn't.

Quit...

It's the fucking olympics, what do you expect no pressure?
This one's pretty pressure worthy. I'm not interested this year but I am normally.Her bering the poster child gymnast is MASSIVE pressure.

Mental health is no joke, but I can't help but feel that it's being used as an easy out for some athletes who might simply be folding under the pressure.

Blocking out the noise is part of being an elite athlete. Where does "mental health" begin and end, when it comes to being put under extreme pressure to perform?
Remind me when the last time you had to perform as the most important person of your sport. You simply have no fucking idea how you would feel. None.

This one's pretty pressure worthy. I'm not interested this year but I am normally.Her bering the poster child gymnast is MASSIVE pressure.
I understand that...just don't agree with her quitting

If it’s that bad, then she shouldn’t be on the team. She wasn’t right in the trials either. I’m sure we’re not going to agree here, and I’m okay with that.
So if she hadn't been on the team....we would be in the exact same situation with someone else competing in her place? Not sure what you're complaining about here.

She should have already had a team sports psychologist or respected mentor to get her mind locked in before go time. To be elite athlete, you should be able to flip it on like a switch.

I mean I'm not trying to justify her, being in there mentally is part of a performance.
But once it didn't happen, for whatever reason, what is the point of going out there and making a fool of yourself?

I work mental health and had my run ins with depression and anxiety. It is not being soft, man. A soft person does not survive that shit. If she didn't think she could do it that's her decision, mental health is health and she might as well have ran with a broken leg.
Despite us disagreeing about Biles specifically, I do agree that mental health is important and I wouldn’t want to minimize that.

Remind me when the last time you had to perform as the most important person of your sport. You simply have no fucking idea how you would feel. None.

Well, I'm not a professional athlete. What, do you think it's supposed to be easy, and that the pressure isn't real? That's what is supposed to separate the average from the elites. The elites are supposed to be able to handle their shit and perform. If they can't, then they're just very skilled people, who can't perform under the spotlight, like millions of other folks who can't deal with the pressure of having all eyes on them.

Do you suggest therapy sessions in between innings, rounds and periods, of elite competitions?

So if she hadn't been on the team....we would be in the exact same situation with someone else competing in her place? Not sure what you're complaining about here.
We’re talking about Biles quitting (or not). Keep up, man. That shit’s in the title of the thread.

I'm curious what the overlap between the she's a shameful quitter and "tapping to strikes is for pussies" demographics is.

I would think your first Olympics would be a lot more nerve racking than showing up as the GOAT. She was making huge mistakes and still beating these girls.

Back