Did your parents WANT you to move out of the house or not?

left when i was 18, with a bag of clothes and the equivalent of 100 dollars in my pocket, moved to another city.
nobody had a say in my decision except me.

i find it hard to believe people actually rationalize staying home until they are almost 25-30 cause "they save on the rent". fucks sake. jerk off and save the dating money. yeah, same logic. grow a pair and be a man.

I disagree with this entire post. If you have good parents you don't want to leave at 18 and they are your support system helping you succeed. That's what I had and I would raise my kids the same way if and when I decide to have them.

People without good parents can never understand this.

they wanted me to stay, I wanted out. left when I was 21 and got a decent paying job.
I have good relations with parents, but living under same roof with my dad is intolerable.

They wanted me out by 13. I'm quite an annoying person.
9b3.png

Parents seemed to want me to stay. Moved out at 23. They got a dog soon after.

I was the last of my siblings to move out of the house, and my mom didn't want me to go.
Ditto. I think she expected me to starve. My dad thought I was dumb for moving into an apartment instead of buying a house though.

Culturally there wasn't the western style "18? GTFO" I heard from some of my friends. I was in my mid twenties before I moved out, basically as soon as my probationary period at my current job was over.

I think my parents still wanted me around but they were driving me nuts at that point. Probably left it too long.

I disagree with this entire post. If you have good parents you don't want to leave at 18 and they are your support system helping you succeed. That's what I had and I would raise my kids the same way if and when I decide to have them.

People without good parents can never understand this.

My parents are great. But I went away to school and liked my new found independence. There were struggles financially. I missed home cooked meals and help with laundry....but I figured all of that out on my own. I also liked dating girls and not having them sneak into my room like a teenager in high school. Kids today have always had their parents do everything for them, and it continues into adulthood creating a false sense of reality and a weak backbone. When you are an adult living in the same room you had as a child, you can make all the excuses in the world, but it’s weak.

Yeah, left at age 17 for university. When I was around 14, me parents pretty much checked out and did their own thing. they still fed and clothed me, loved me too but just started doing everything without me.

Ditto. I think she expected me to starve. My dad thought I was dumb for moving into an apartment instead of buying a house though.

Culturally there wasn't the western style "18? GTFO" I heard from some of my friends. I.

I'll never understand why this attitude is so common among so many parents. A lot of them count down to the day their last child is 18 so they can have the house to themselves.

If you want the house to yourself sooooo badly, how about not ever having kids?

went to HS in NoVa

graduated at 17, dipped out immediately to Southern California

i'm a ghost i'm a ghost i'm a ghost

I moved out cause i got my first job at an IT company in another city. My mother didn't want me to. I fucking love it. All the freedom I never had growing up.

I'll never understand why this attitude is so common among so many parents. A lot of them count down to the day their last child is 18 so they can have the house to themselves.

If you want the house to yourself sooooo badly, how about not ever having kids?
Well I think a lot of people get married and have kids because it's socially acceptable without considering how it will impact their lives.

Though even then I would assume you would grow attached enough to the fruit of your loins not to necessarily want to kick them to the curb as soon as legally possible.

I have a theory with no proof that this attitude became prevalent in the west because of the postwar boom economy, but I have nothing to back that up.

Mom didn't want me to, always calling to talk lol she loves me so much. Dad on the other hand couldn't wait, he loved that I was gone me and him can't stand eachother he's a fucking mutt

I was 23 and my stepmum clearly didn't want me there as her kids had already moved out...don't blame her or them tbh.
Well one day I was ill AF and just finished watching UFC 149 the day after, I peed n forgot to flush the toilet or put the seat down (I was hella drowsy) and she went bezerk so I went bezerk back and I just thought fuck this and moved out. I wasn't easy to live with but damn she drove me bonkers half the time.
At the end of the day, it worked out for all of us that i moved out, we're all happy and get along now. If I was a step parent i'd want her kids out too.

For those of us that have our own places to live in, when it was time for you to move out, did your mom and/or dad want you to move out? Did they do countdowns to your 18th birthday, did they kick you out, or did they beg you to stay?

I was the last of my siblings to move out of the house, and my mom didn't want me to go.

my parents didn't want me to leave. pretty typical for hispanic families. luckily, i didn't move very far from where i grew up. i still see my folks at least twice a month.

I got into a school in the city where my bf lived. We agreed that i could staythere while i looked for my own apartment. About a week later, i packed my bags and my dog, said goodbye to my mother and left.
She probably would have wanted me to stay longer, but never said anything about it.

Culturally there wasn't the western style "18? GTFO" I heard from some of my friends. I was in my mid twenties before I moved out, basically as soon as my probationary period at my current job was over.

I think my parents still wanted me around but they were driving me nuts at that point. Probably left it too long.

Going away to school is a bit different tho. A lot of kids go off to college but still receive help from their parents. That's. OT out of the ordinary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back