Discussion: Robberies that weren't robberies in retrospect.

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've watched many a fight a second time, and then changed my scoring.

Some of the most popular ones are listed below:

Jones/Gustafsson: Scored it 48-47 Gustafsson on the night, scored it 49-46 Jones upon a rewatch.
Cruz/Garbrandt: Scored it 47-47 a draw on the night, scored it 48-46 Garbrandt upon a rewatch.
Hendricks/Lawler I: Scored it 48-47 Lawler on the night, scored it 48-47 Hendricks upon a rewatch.
Diaz/Condit: Scored it 48-47 Diaz on the night, scored it 49-48 Condit upon a rewatch.
Jackson/Griffin: Scored it 48-47 Jackson upon a first watch, scored it 48-47 Griffin upon a rewatch.

Any fights which have been "controversial" that you've changed your mind on upon a second/third watch?

Sanchez vs Kampmann

Was no robbery, I'm probably the only person that thinks so. Scored it right on the night and in retrospect.

I thought GSP vs Hendricks was a robbery,

Having re-watched it certainly could have gone either way..due to the crappy judging methods.

Well tbh i don't change my stance on them. But i also stopped giving my opinion because it doesn't matter whatever my opinion is, only judges opinion counts and i leave at it.

Good thread.

GSP/Hendricks: Had it 48-47 GSP/Hendricks on the night, scored it 48-47 to GSP after watching it a second time.
Cruz/No love: Scored it 48-47 Cruz on the night, scored it 48-47 to Cruz or 47-47 after watching it again
Conor/Nate 2: Scored it 48-47 Conor on the night, scored it 48-46 Conor after watching it again

Condit/diaz - always had Condit winning
Jones/Gus - always had Jones winning

Can't think of any others off the top of my head atm.

Sanchez vs Kampmann

Was no robbery, I'm probably the only person that thinks so. Scored it right on the night and in retrospect.

Having re-watched it certainly could have gone either way..due to the crappy judging methods.
Rewatched St.Pierre vs Hendricks about 2 months ago and I still cannot see how anyone on god's green earth gives 3 rounds to Georges.

Cruz/Garbrandt: Scored it 47-47 a draw on the night

Jesus........how?

Not really a fight that I thought was the wrong decision, but after watching Woodley and Thompson, it wasn't that great a fight on the 2nd or 3rd watch.

Rutten v Randleman.

Second time I watched it was 'in context', after watching all the events up to that point and I viewed it differently due to that. This was before the 10-point must and it definitely seemed as if they looked for a different criteria, so I wasn't as surprised by the decision in those circumstances.

Jesus........how?

Not really a fight that I thought was the wrong decision, but after watching Woodley and Thompson, it wasn't that great a fight on the 2nd or 3rd watch.
47-47 was plausible and was my score for a while.

What I cannot understand is what exactly people are watching.

Almost everyone who thought Cody won "easy" are willing to accept that Dom won Round 2 and 5, but upon watching it almost 10 times I don't see how Dom lost Round 1. I actually think Cody won Round 2 and that Dom won Round 1, and I also had Round 4 as a 10-8 for Cody.

I changed the score to Cody, but 47-47 is not a ludicrous score, especially watching it live.

Maynard vs Edgar 2 - Had it 47-47 Draw but now have it 48-46 Maynard

Sanchez vs Kampmann

I Agree. Dana White said after the fight that Diego won as well.

He stole the 2nd round with the flurry and won the 3rd by being more aggressive and controling the octagon.

Just bleed Diego haters will point out how busted up he was but that damage was from a few strikes.

and GSP 1,3,5

Edgar vs Bendo 2. I thought the decision was right on the first watch. On my second watch, Edgar should have definitely gotten the nod.

This thread only shows that TS can't score fights and is therefore pointless

I think Lawlor lost to both Hendricks and Condit but was glad he got the nod.

1st time I watched TJ vs Cruz, I had Cruz by a point. On 2nd watch I changed to TJ. And 3rd watch went back to Cruz.

I'm a terrible scorer and do this all the time.

I declared a possible 10-8 in round 1 of the woodley/wonderboy fight live. Didn't even consider round 4 to be a 10-8 haha

I'm just the worst when it comes to 10pt must system. I believe I would have been better at judging pride fights live because that scoring system makes far more warrior-sense, in my mind.

Interesting posts guys. Some surprising admissions in this thread. Keep posting

47-47 was plausible and was my score for a while.

What I cannot understand is what exactly people are watching.

Almost everyone who thought Cody won "easy" are willing to accept that Dom won Round 2 and 5, but upon watching it almost 10 times I don't see how Dom lost Round 1. I actually think Cody won Round 2 and that Dom won Round 1, and I also had Round 4 as a 10-8 for Cody.

I changed the score to Cody, but 47-47 is not a ludicrous score, especially watching it live.

Hmm. Well, I think almost every fight you watch back you score it differently or notice something you didn't watching it live - some of those judges are awful, being even the competent ones, it must be an extremely hard job.

I've only watched it live, but when I think back of my mini review of the fight; Garbrandt dropped him a couple of times. Cruz was missing a lot more than normal. I thought Garbrandt won 3 rounds clearly and maybe a 4th. But it seemed a bit like a fencing match and Garbrandt landed the cleaner shots, dropped him and stuffed a takedown(?) or got back up straight away.

I'd like to know how judges score fights and if they jot down notes for each round or just look at the fight and score it for whomever they think won the round - because I don't think they're all using the same scoring criteria as one another.

If someone (that knows a bit about MMA) can judge it with completely different winners the second time, it clearly shows it was a robbery. A fight that close is too hard to judge.

Means it should have been a draw... and that the 10 point system doesn't work for mma

Gsp/Hendricks:

Overall Damege: Hendricks
Round by Round: Gsp

I Agree. Dana White said after the fight that Diego won as well.

He stole the 2nd round with the flurry and won the 3rd by being more aggressive and controling the octagon.

Just bleed Diego haters will point out how busted up he was but that damage was from a few strikes.

and GSP 1,3,5
Yeah, in both fights I mentioned - the mediate reaction is the other guy won as his opponents face was a mess. In Diego's case he looked like death but to me he snuck that second round and won the third due to classic Diego aggression.

GSP stole a couple of rounds too, I feel back then the judges awarded more for do-nothing (apart from control) takedowns and favored a champion in the scoring. Very close fight, Hendricks lost it when he decided to take the fifth round off.

With Pride rules, both GSP and Diego would have lost.

Back