DO NOT let Cain near that belt again, unless...

How does he deserve another shot asap? By fighting four times in 2.5 years (that's once every 1.6 years in case you cant do the math)?

No it isn't. 2.5 divided by 4 is .625.

Really solid picks and recommendations regarding Cain.

From a Cain fan.

unless he fights and wins two more times until June of 2016, thereby proving that he is able to fight three times a year without getting hurt and pulling out.

There is absolutely no point in an immediate rematch, since 1.) Cain-Werdum wasnt very competitive. After the first close round Werdum beat him masterfully. 2.) there's a lot of exciting matchups that can happen now that Cain is no longer champ but one of the many title contenders at HW, and 3.) if you let him get his belt back he'll just sit out for another year again.

I dont care who he fights, as long as it's not JDS, not Bigfoot and not for the title in his next two fights.

Here's my ideal scenario (the timeline is what's important here, the specific matchups are secondary):

Fabricio Werdum vs. Andrei Arlovski in september 2015
Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne in october 2015
Junior dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem in october 2015
Ben Rothwell vs. Stipe Miocic in november 2015
Winner of Werdum/Arlovski vs. Winner of dos Santos/Overeem in february 2016
Winner of Velasquez/Browne vs. winner of Rothwell/Miocic in march 2016
Winner of Werdum/Arlovski/JDS/Overeem vs. Winner of Velasquez/Browne/Rothwell/Miocic in july 2016

Agree all but Miocic - he should be next in line for the title shot. I want Arlovski in there so hard (my inner 90's Street Fighter-watching arcade-playing self) but I feel Stipe deserves a shot. I don't care much about the decision loss to JDS. JDS can have it afterwards.

I'd rather see a legit HW like Cain fight for the belt than watch them blow a shot on Andrei.

BTW fight wasn't competitive? I disagree. I'd be very interested to see that rematch when Cain brings his famous cardio, which was conspicuously absent from that fight. That's a big X factor in the rematch.

I couldn't agree more. My main reason for being happy to see him lose was the thought we'd see the real belt defended more often than 1 time per year (or in this recent case, once in the last 2 years)

it's ridiculous. cain is borderline cruz level injury prone. he needs to show he can fight 3 times a year (at least 2) before he can be champion again

All champs deserve an immediate rematch when they lose

Make it happen!

All champs deserve an immediate rematch when they lose

Make it happen!

Nope. Depends HEAVILY on the nature of the loss. Cain didn't lose a close fight - he got DONE. Nope. He fights a dude before a rematch.

Agree all but Miocic - he should be next in line for the title shot. I want Arlovski in there so hard (my inner 90's Street Fighter-watching arcade-playing self) but I feel Stipe deserves a shot. I don't care much about the decision loss to JDS. JDS can have it afterwards.

I'm actually really impressed with Stipe and have been since 2012. But looking purely at their record I think Rothwell deserves it above him at the moment (three wins in a row including Overeem). Miocic beat (viciously) one top guy: Mark Hunt. And he arguably didnt really show up to fight that night. His next best achievement is his fight against JDS where he went the distance and lost the decision. That fight was great, but arguably JDS wasnt quite there either. I'm not trying to shit on Stipe, I think he's great, hell, I think he could possibly beat Cain.
I dont see Rothwell beating Cain in the forseeable future, but the way he handled Overeem and Mitrione was very impressive.
Arlovski clearly deserves the shot over both of them: Five wins in a row. The only defeat since 2011 coming by the hand of Rumble who broke his yaw... Yes, its true: The Schaub win was a gift from incompetent judges and that fight was horrible altogether. Yes, Bigfoot Post-TRT isnt all that hard to knock out. But that round vs Browne sealed it for me.

My utterly subjective but reason-based ranking of their current claims based solely on current streak/achievements within the last years: Arlovski > Rothwell > JDS > Stipe > Velasquez
(That's not the same as ranking how good or complete as fighters those guys are at this moment. That would very subjectively be JDS > Velasquez > Stipe > Rothwell > Arlovski.)

Agreed. No rematch for Cain, anyone else would be better IMO.

he is popular and relevant, he will get a title shot quick - it comes down to his current popularity, which is high - why let him sit on the shelf for a while while he loses interest and then promote him again - you want to get him in there quickly while people still remember his name and he's still relevant - thats why you see a lot of rematches and people who 'dont deserve title shots' they will just sell more since a ton has been invested in them promotionally

1 fight win streak is a win streak

Nope

streak (strēk)
n.
1. A line, mark, smear, or band differentiated by color or texture from its surroundings.
2. An inherent, often contrasting quality: "There was a streak of wildness in him" (Olga Carlisle).
3. A ray or flash of light: the first streaks of dawn; a streak of lightning.
4. Informal
a. A brief run or stretch, as of luck.
b. An unbroken series, as of wins or losses.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/streak

Rubbish..

I wouldn't be against an immediate rematch but I doubt it will happen. One win for Cain then back for Title. He deserves another shot ASAP.

Brown doesn't deserve a shot at Cain.

Why?

Back