Do you consider Usman more Nigerian/Murican?

Stipe has been plenty in Croatia
What he speaks sounds closer to Croatian than English

His parents are Croatian, I assume he learned to speak from them.

Are you taking it personal he doesn't carry your flag? It's a marketing thing to stand out man.

This is going nowhere until you understand a person can be and feel 2 different nationalities at the same time. We change the places we live in and we are and represent both. I've been splitting my time between Italy and Finland and I will move to Scotland and possibly somewhere else too in the future. I hope to pick up languages and cultures along the way.

That being said, a man who lived in the US since he was a kid (was he like 6 or 7? Don't remember) is definitely an American. You got Chad's being raised in military bases who are less American than that.

I consider him a Nigerian Nebraskan American but overall I call him Champ...

born in nigeria = no problem calling himself nigerian, even though hes made his life/living in the US.

As a European I definitely see him as an American, atleast culturally, Nigerian by genes obviously. I don't really care if he was eating some Nigerian food at home or anything like that, that's pretty irrelevant. I bet his life would have been very different if he had lived his whole life in Nigeria.

His parents are Croatian, I assume he learned to speak from them.

Are you taking it personal he doesn't carry your flag? It's a marketing thing to stand out man.

This is going nowhere until you understand a person can be and feel 2 different nationalities at the same time. We change the places we live in and we are and represent both. I've been splitting my time between Italy and Finland and I will move to Scotland and possibly somewhere else too in the future. I hope to pick up languages and cultures along the way.

That being said, a man who lived in the US since he was a kid (was he like 6 or 7? Don't remember) is definitely an American. You got Chad's being raised in military bases who are less American than that.

I am not Murican.
I have lived abroad for a while but I would never consider me anything else than where I was born and raised for my first 8 years or so.

And of course you pick up the language and culture from where you live. It does not erase your roots, though

He's a fake Mexican from Oxford who has never street fought, if he's such a street fighter why is there no Oxford in street fighter video games

I am not Murican.
I have lived abroad for a while but I would never consider me anything else than where I was born and raised for my first 8 years or so.

And of course you pick up the language and culture from where you live. It does not erase your roots, though

Then again, what you "consider yourself" matters only to a certain degree. Kamaru has been educated in the US, thinks like an American, has only worked in the US, speaks with an American accent. If you put him in Nigeria he'll be clearly out of his element. Nigerians would see him as an American.

He can feel both. I don't see why you have to consider yourself of only one nationality, it doesn't mirror the truth so it's a dumb way of thinking.

african american who doesnt like to be called american

Then again, what you "consider yourself" matters only to a certain degree. Kamaru has been educated in the US, thinks like an American, has only worked in the US, speaks with an American accent. If you put him in Nigeria he'll be clearly out of his element. Nigerians would see him as an American.

He can feel both. I don't see why you have to consider yourself of only one nationality, it doesn't mirror the truth so it's a dumb way of thinking.
Usman has jus solis + jus sanguinis as Nigerian
He has USA citizenship as well as Nigerian

But only repesents Nigeria

That’s largely because it’s a differentiating factor for him. Being an American citizen isn’t a niche.

There is also aspirational messaging in play here. Not unlike Conor’s great “we’re not here to take part” speech.

The UFC is based in the United States. Many, many successful fighters are from the United States. Many, many successful people, businesses, ideas and innovations have come out of the United States. Americans generally aren’t hurting for inspirational role models.

When someone achieves considerable success—particularly in an industry that is unusual for his or her background—it’s useful to reach out to others of that same background to say, “we can do great things too.” It would probably be a lot more effective if his family hadn’t come to America to accomplish this (the unspoken subtext being, “just get yourself the hell outta there and look what’s possible”) but that’s a conversation for another day.

Now, does Usman go a little over the top with the face paint and the flag and the nickname? Eh, maybe. He’s basically a more authentic version of Marcus Davis. But overall the branding makes sense.

He sure sounds American. If you sound like one you are one.

Nigerian Nightmare or Nebraskan Wet Dream? JK lol

p/s:
Please don't steal this line Colby if you're reading this. I know you go to sherdog often.
Can't wait for the rematch, vs Woodley, or at least wait for Masvidal vs Usman first.

nSJpep28ZFmyu_RE4b2XF2OtOH7KLTw1BadxbHhcLTo.jpg

Back