Do you find this Oliveira situation by missing weight by .5lbs kind of silly?

Do you find this Oliveira situation by missing .5lbs kind of silly?

• Total voters
Extremely dumb rule change for championship fights.
Don't see the point and they just screwed themselves.
Weight cutting is hard enough and bad for the body enough as it is.

What these idiots should be more concerned with is guys putting in 20-25 Ibs after they 'make weight'.

In other words rehydration weight is what's most important and has most bearing on the fights.

Only ONE FC gets it Done it seems.

If you believe he should be able to compete a half a pound heavy then youre setting a precedence. Then next month the chompions should get the half a pound. And what happens then if they come in a half a pound over that? Its only half a pound let them compete? SNOWBALL...

Member when GSP was .5 over against Nick, but kept the title because Canada.

Honest question. What is the point of differentiating between title and non-title matches when allowing a half pound weight allowance?

Obviously once it's in the rulebook, it's the rules, but I am asking about the logic behind the rule. Why not just cut it off at the billed weight? For example, all fights at 155 pounds must be at 155 pounds. No half pound weight allowance, no exceptions. Is the idea like "Championships are supposed to be hard mode" or something?

Adding in that extra wrinkle for a title fight kind of feels like they were just asking for something like this to happen. Just get rid of the half pound weight allowance so fighters don't get used to weighing in at that weight before title fights.

You know this is not neutral discussion because we have it right now.

Honest question. What is the point of differentiating between title and non-title matches when allowing a half pound weight allowance?

Obviously once it's in the rulebook, it's the rules, but I am asking about the logic behind the rule. Why not just cut it off at the billed weight? For example, all fights at 155 pounds must be at 155 pounds. No half pound weight allowance, no exceptions. Is the idea like "Championships are supposed to be hard mode" or something?

Adding in that extra wrinkle for a title fight kind of feels like they were just asking for something like this to happen. Just get rid of the half pound weight allowance so fighters don't get used to weighing in at that weight before title fights.

Yeah those are very good points, thanks for your insight.

I do feel bad for him. Fucking sucks to be stripped of the belt for such a small amount of weight.

Having said that... I feel less bad in this specific circumstance, as this is Oliveira's 5th time missing the contracted weight in his UFC career. Yes this is the first time at 155, however he's signed contracts for specific weights and missed it 5 times. That shows a lack of professionalism and respect towards the sport and his opponents. Most guys are released if they miss weight 2 or 3 times, never mind 5. And the fact that he had an extra hour to cut 0.5 lbs and wasn't able to do it, says a lot about how poorly planned his weight cut was. So yes, it sucks... but at the end of the day he has nobody to blame but himself.

No it's not silly. The LW championship agreed upon bout is to be at 155.00 lb.

Charles is a disgrace. Shameful former champion. Disgusting and Despicable.

If you change it so that 155.5 is allowed, somebody will eventually miss it at 156. If you change it to 156, someone will miss it by 156.5. It doesn’t matter what you change it to, when cutting extreme weight fighters make mistakes and come over.

It's a ridiculous system that actually hurts the fighters right before they are supposed to be at their best. Neither will be remotely close to 155 libs come fight time but cutting an additional 0.5 lbs of water weight proves what? Who is better at dehydrating themselves? Cutting weight makes them worse fighters. The point in them fighting is to prove who is the better fighter, not who is better at dehydrating themselves. This irrelevant and dangerous practice before the fights only gives us a weaker product.

I find it strange that all the fights are not treated the same. The rule is supposed to account for the scale error. But IMO they should have a way to calibrate the scale officially and do not allow any deviations from the max weight. Fighters should be able to have access to the scale for 24 hours.

No its part of the rules and the game but man it still sucks so bad man! At least the fight is still on, thats something i guess.
[url=https://postimages.org/][/URL]

I mean it's called the fighter hotel, they set everything up. If the scale was wrong that's the fault of the UFC or the athletic commission and not Oliveira. Also Championship weight and non championship weight is weird af to me. If the weight limit is 155 then why can you weigh 156 if it's not a title fight?

Rules can change if it's ridiculous.
What’s ridiculous about it? And where do you draw the line once you start moving the goalposts?

It’s not a new rule and every other champ in UFC history made weight (was Fig already the champ when he missed or was that fight for a vacant belt?) I don’t remember and don’t care enough to look it up.

Rules should always be hard and fast. Otherwise what’s the point of them?

It’s like Iaquinta wasn’t eligible to win the title when he fought Khabib. He was 1/4 lbs over the championship limit, yet he wasn’t even supposed to be fighting for the belt to begin with. He was actually 3/4 lbs under the LW limit. He only got put into the fight AFTER the weighins.

If you don’t like the rules go play a different sport.

I mean it's called the fighter hotel, they set everything up. If the scale was wrong that's the fault of the UFC or the athletic commission and not Oliveira. Also Championship weight and non championship weight is weird af to me. If the weight limit is 155 then why can you weigh 156 if it's not a title fight?

Exactly.

Fine with it. Whether you go with the non-title rule or the rule for title fights you know what it is going in. We haven't seen this in title fights and shouldn't have seen it today if Charles and his camp were ahead of this. Maybe scale issues led them to believe they were where he needed to be. I get also him wanting that weight advantage after hydrating after the weigh-in thus not cutting any more than he felt he needed to. He missed the mark.

What’s ridiculous about it? And where do you draw the line once you start moving the goalposts?

It’s not a new rule and every other champ in UFC history made weight (was Fig already the champ when he missed or was that fight for a vacant belt?) I don’t remember and don’t care enough to look it up.

Rules should always be hard and fast. Otherwise what’s the point of them?

It’s like Iaquinta wasn’t eligible to win the title when he fought Khabib. He was 1/4 lbs over the championship limit, yet he wasn’t even supposed to be fighting for the belt to begin with. He was actually 3/4 lbs under the LW limit. He only got put into the fight AFTER the weighins.

If you don’t like the rules go play a different sport.

I already explained myself about why I find it ridiculous. We can agree to disagree and that's fine. But what's with the hostile tone in your post? Is that necessary?

People can have clear and respectable discussions on here, without acting like your superior than someone else.

It's a ridiculous system that actually hurts the fighters right before they are supposed to be at their best. Neither will be remotely close to 155 libs come fight time but cutting an additional 0.5 lbs of water weight proves what? Who is better at dehydrating themselves? Cutting weight makes them worse fighters. The point in them fighting is to prove who is the better fighter, not who is better at dehydrating themselves. This irrelevant and dangerous practice before the fights only gives us a weaker product.
They should probably stop cutting ridiculous amounts of weight then.

Yeah but whatever, the fight is still going on, sucks for olive but this won't affect how much I enjoy the night.

Back