Does Lomachenko remind anyone else of Calzaghe?

It would probably be easiest to find a few Brando Rios type fighters than good technical guys who fight the same.

Yeah, and even Brandon Rios does some pretty unique looking things. The way his neck has a natural forward tilt makes his face a punching bag, but also gives him a unique style on the inside. If you made a silhouette of Rios fighting, you'd immediately recognize it as Rios.

Umm yeah, there's some similarities. But a southpaw, pressure fighter with volume is not uncommon.

What's crazy is that with under 10 fights Lomachenko already has a pretty solid resume - Salido (close loss), Russel Jr., and Rigo aren't bad at all. I'd like to see more from Lomachenko - he shows his frustration when he fights, whereas Calzaghe tends to galvanize under adversity.

I think he's just fighting no hopers but has fans who ignore it.
Who was Walters really? A guy who KOd a couple of used up names well above their best weights?I think people like the guy so they see what they choose to see and have to silently agree to exaggerate everything about the guy to absurd, clownish levels.

I think fans should want to see a guy tested but it seems that fans are pretty content just to watch the Lomachenko show. You guys think Arum doesn't notice?

I mean, he hasn't beaten anybody absolutely spectacular, but no hopers? nah, if they're no hopers that's more because of his skills than anything else. GRJ was prospect of the year (you actually picked him over Loma, if I remember correctly), Walters was regarded as a potential future p4per by boxingscene, Rigo was a P4Per (albeit a bloated one, though I don't hear those criticisms for Marquez/Floyd). I can't think of a fighter who has faced the calliber of opponent Loma has in his first 11 fights, and it doesn't help that he's been ducked by a lot of fighters (including Salido and Jezreel).

I mean, hear yourself here: you want a 130er to jump up to face a 140er (Mikey). There are very few fighters I would ever expect to just jump up to 140 from 130, period. To face a guy as skilled as Garcia? That's basically saying "I won't be impressed until he loses, and then I'll say he was exposed."

I do agree that there have been some dissappointing matchups (Marriaga particularly) and the fanbase has gone head over heals for Loma, but to say he hasn't faced anybody is patently false. He's 11 fights in and he's already consistently facing top rated fighters. However, you seem to have this reaction where you just immediately dismiss everything he has accomplished and his skills as a result.

also, Calzaghe was an underratedly dirty fighter IMO: if you watch the fight with lacy, you see him sneak in lots of elbows here and there. Loma doesn't do anything like that.

Khan is a damn fine fighter, I don't care how negatively BS that you guys see this as some out of left field comparison. Its not an insult.

Na na na, you insulted him a little bit. You gut a little out of order.

also, Calzaghe was an underratedly dirty fighter IMO: if you watch the fight with lacy, you see him sneak in lots of elbows here and there. Loma doesn't do anything like that.
No he wasn’t. When Roy Jones decided throwing a forearm was the way forward that was a bullshit move. He pulled out of numerous fights because his hands were fucked. Enzo had to force him to fight lacy because he said he would destroy his legacy otherwise.

Calzaghe wasn’t a dirty fighter.

Back