Does the "Today's worst NBA team beats 90s Bulls" Theory work in MMA ?

i disagree. Durant, Lebron, and Giannis are all capable of playing that style, but the rules have changed, so they don’t have to buckle down every possession. It’s similar to late 70s to mid 80s, with more emphasis on running the floor, rather than the slower, half-court game. Their size too, would neutralize a lot of the advantages that 6-8 220 # guys like Pippen and Rodman had at the time. Rodman and Pippen are 2 of my favorite players, but they were the top tier in size and speed at the time. They would not be top-tier today in physicality. They would fit right in, not dominate.

Im not going to keep running over the same things sir.
You feel your way, I feel mine.

These kids lack the defensive fundamentals, and rely way too heavily on the long ball.

Ab
I would say that MMA as a newer sport has evolved more rapidly due to the integration of fighters being well versed in all aspects of MMA compared to the early UFC days where a lot of fighters were 1 dimensional. But that would be fighters in the 90s and early 2000s. I do not believe Tito Ortiz would be a top 5 LHW today, even in his prime.
Absolutely not. Tito was eeking out decisions against natural welter weights and middle weights. Dude would get bodied quick today

Im not going to keep running over the same things sir.
You feel your way, I feel mine.

These kids lack the defensive fundamentals, and rely way too heavily on the long ball.

hey, I feel nostalgic too, when it comes to Rodman, Pippen, Fedor, GSP, Anderson, and they would absolutely compete and be top tier even today, but also not one to dismiss how good today’s fighters and NBA players are. Again, the rules impact the sport. I think prime Fedor could beat anyone but that doesn’t mean Cain couldn’t beat him, too. We never really saw top-tier Fedor in a cage. He became a head-hunter, and didn’t seem to go for throws/submissions like he used to. That over-confidence hurt him against Werdum and Hendo….fuck! Still pisses me off.

No one kids under 25, Lebron stans, or the weird new influx of foreign fans from places like Malaysia or Philippines think this shit about basketball. The NBA is the worst it’s been in the modern era.

There hasn’t been much evolution in MMA since the mid-late 2000s. Biggest difference between now and then is the fighters at the bottom of the division are much better and more well rounded for the most part, probably just due to the talent pool increasing.

HW’s of the early-mid 2000s would dominate the Martin Budays of the division 100%

Saying any team now is as good as the 90's Bulls is one of the most irresponsible and irreverent things a person can say in the world of sports

The argument is with the advantage of science and tech and training, today's worst NBA team could beat the best NBA team from the 2000s or before. If true, does this hold up for MMA ?

Could #15 ranked Martin Buday beat any top three HW from, say, 2003-2008 simply because of the advances in training, nutrition, and knowledge since that time because the fight game has evolved that much ?

I always thought the older players had more skill and functional strength...because I believe people tend to make the simple more complicated than it has to be.

giphy.gif

Do people actually think this^^>?

And what rules are we playing with?
82uv9j.jpg
This. If you trasnported a bad team like the houston rockets to the 1990's They'd get smashed. If you transfer the 96 bulls to 2023, Different story but they'd probably beat the rockets.

90s NBA was evolved. If you took the worst team in the 90s and put them against the Celtics in the 50s it would probably be close.

Could #15 ranked Martin Buday beat any top three HW from, say, 2003-2008 simply because of the advances in training, nutrition, and knowledge since that time because the fight game has evolved that much ?
What advances in nutrition? Dude, have you seen these fatties? Maybe if they actually "trained with those advances in nutrition" they may had an edge. But a quick look at the roster at HW and you will see a bunch of below average athletes that failed at other sports and are now settling with MMA.

Nah, the game evolved but HWs have always being about power, strenth and atleticism mattering more than techinique and nutrition. Those things are affectng the lower classes.

If Jordan was playing with today's rules he would probably average over 40 points a game.

I don't want to turn your thread into a basketball debate, but the 90's Bulls could beat any team today..
And beat them easily. I’ve never heard anyone claim what the OP stated, but it’s utter madness, and likely the complete opposite. I think almost any top-15 team from Jordan’s era stomps the shit out of any championship team of the last few years. Like the mid to late 90’s Knicks. They fucking smoke any team in the league today.

Like others said, not trying to turn this into a basketball thread, but the 90's Bulls really were different. I haven't kept up on basketball much since the mid 2000's, but my Dad took me as a kid to go see Jordan and the Bulls play in 1998, and it was almost surreal how much better they were. You can tell someone is really good at what they do when every move they make flows perfectly and there are no wasted movements, and that's how it looked watching the Bulls play.

NBA players nowadays are much better, except MJ. MJ is the goat
You weren’t alive to see the NBA in the 80’s or 90’s. You aren’t qualified to make that statement.

Almost no one who has been following the sport since the 80’s would ever say players today are better. The skill-level of today’s players isn’t even remotely comparable to 40 years ago. Almost none of these players today possess or even understand the basic fundamentals of the sport.

I too remember how good the toon squad was
greatest comeback ever

If Jordan was playing with today's rules he would probably average over 40 points a game.

I don't want to turn your thread into a basketball debate, but the 90's Bulls could beat any team today..

I’m not sure how those Bulls teams would look against today’s premier squads but I wholeheartedly agree that jordan would average at least 40 ppg under the current ruleset.

Your analogy is incorrect, OP. MMA is very young as a sport; professional basketball is not. The correct version of your analogy is: Could the 1997 Bulls beat the 1958 St. Louis Hawks? The answer is yes.

Jarl

Look up what the Detroit Pistons used to do to him... you'd be ejected from the game for that shit today.

Also, the interior defense sucks ass today, Jordan, Pippen, Grant, would style on these cats.
Outside of dirty plays and fighting, the game is just as physical today. Vince carter played 22 seasons, even he says the players arent softer, the refs just called more fouls, so they are gaming the system just like any competitor would.

also, jordan was heavily criticized back then for getting the foul calls because the nba wanted him to score a lot

Back