Driving Styles

melvinj0

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Interested to see how everyone here drives around, and why they choose to drive that way. I constantly find myself wondering why some people drive the way they do because it seems super risky with very little reward. Like people who swerve in and out of traffic so they can go 50 over on the highway, is it purely an adrenaline thing or do you just prefer to get places faster?

(A lot of this may only seem familiar to people who live in the US, but I’d love to hear how people on other countries drive too).

For me I’m fairly cautious, on residential and city streets I stick right at the speed limit. On the highway I’ll go 10-15 miles above and only use the far left lane if I’m passing someone. On the highway if anyone is ever on my ass I’ll simply get over and let them pass. However on city and residential areas it seems insane when people drive right up against my bumper when I’m going the speed limit (most of these people seem to be really young, and I live in a college town so it happens a lot!), especially if there’s no where for me to get over to let them pass.

I'm a pretty cautious driver, stay in the slow lane pretty much. Take it easy. I just drive a Camry/Tacoma. That is how my dad drove when I was growing up so probably picked it up from him

When I'm on my ktm supermoto I'm pretty cautious also in town and on the freeway.
On a track or out in the middle of nowhere in the twistys though I'm letting loose

I drive defensively. My father taught me and he was a biker. This is a good strategy for young people. Have a driving instructor that’s spent time laying across an intersection because people don’t pay attention to others.

Left lane is for people not driving the speed limit. Apparently I got the memo, the rest of my state not so much.

And for a guy that grew up in Florida (me); my god people forget how to drive the first two weeks of snow hitting the ground where I live now.

Interested to see how everyone here drives around, and why they choose to drive that way. I constantly find myself wondering why some people drive the way they do because it seems super risky with very little reward. Like people who swerve in and out of traffic so they can go 50 over on the highway, is it purely an adrenaline thing or do you just prefer to get places faster?

(A lot of this may only seem familiar to people who live in the US, but I’d love to hear how people on other countries drive too).

For me I’m fairly cautious, on residential and city streets I stick right at the speed limit. On the highway I’ll go 10-15 miles above and only use the far left lane if I’m passing someone. On the highway if anyone is ever on my ass I’ll simply get over and let them pass. However on city and residential areas it seems insane when people drive right up against my bumper when I’m going the speed limit (most of these people seem to be really young, and I live in a college town so it happens a lot!), especially if there’s no where for me to get over to let them pass.
In Dallas people's driving style is wannabe NASCAR driver. They'll tailgate you even if there's an open lane on either side. Turn signal is a sign of weakness and an open invitation for drivers to cut you off. Switching lanes to get in front of other drivers insults their family honor. Yellow light means pedal to the metal going through the intersection. Speed limit is a suggestion as drivers usually go 15+ miles faster.

4a52655c4c81dc649df53a00d735696c.jpg

When I'm not ghostriding the whip blasting Mac Dre, I'm a cautious driver. I stick to the speed limit, put on my seat belt and don't do anything to put myself or others at risk. Now when I was younger I was more reckless and dodged a few bullets. Learned my lessons and sticking to the script since then.

Stand or walk as you will, but whatever you do, don't wobble!

Drive defensively and like I’m invisible. Biker family taught me how to drive and ride. Try and go 5-10 mph faster, and keep to the left as much as possible. The faster I can get bad drivers behind me, the better.

I think the adage "Become where you are" has some relevancy here.

I once lived in London for quite a long time and I drove very assertively to say the least. Because everyone does there. I knew every traffic light, route, pothole, road surface, and what other drivers will do (ha! usually...). Plus I'd had my car for 9 years and was extremely familiar to say the least with it's handling / braking / grip etc. Had multiple cars and multiple motorbikes (at the same time). Plus I raced in National (outdoors racing circuits) Kart Championships for 8years, nationally and internationally. Racing on Full slick tires in the pouring rain, oh yes. Teaches you about car control.
- And in the rain on london roads I'd deliberately slide my car through corners when there was nobody else about. Never lost control, ever. As long as it's just me and my car, i'm the only one who would be pissed off if i stuck it in a wall or whatever.
So... yeah quite a confident driver, Never had a crash in my life in a car (ok motorbikes ....yes).

When I'm overseas or in a strange town or whatever I am totally different, I really take it easym stick to speed limits, I never tailgate, always use indicators and just drive relaxed and adopt the same driving as the locals as much as possible. In USA I do find everyone drives very easy, and relaxed. OK Manhattan is definitely different, that's for sure, but in NYC I take taxis etc but I do observe everything.

Italy can be nuts, especially Milan.
Paris they're a bit shocking, especially going round the Arc de Triomphe is mayhem. There is NO right of way as a pedestrian in Paris let me tell you that. They'll just run you over. In Paris when I was there it was LITERALLY standard practice when parking in a tight space for the local Parisians to deliberately hit the car in front to push it further forward to make more space to park in. I saw that many times. Pretty insane. Not sure if they still do that.

In my entire life I have only been stopped twice by the cops, both times for speeding and that's fair enough I WAS speeding. Paid the fine(s), all good.

Last edited:
I'm this. Fuck you if you test my reflex and everything turns out fine.

I'm never in a hurry on average the standard with 10 to 15 miles over the speed limit depending on traffic, I let speedsters pass me , it's mid size town and Police and Sheriffs are pulling retards over all off the goddamn time

I don’t really want to rag on anyone but there’s a certain behavior- we’ve all seen it- where there’s a lot of cars in both lanes on a two-lane parkway-the person tailgates in one lane just to get enough space in the other so that they can quickly move over and then they’ll quickly meet an obstruction in that lane and pull the same move. This repeats until they finally get enough space to break away from the pack a bit but even then they can’t get far cause there is too much traffic.

I find that behavior to be almost a compulsion among those individuals. Like they must be in the path of least resistance at any given time and they will do whatever they can to shave two minutes off their ETA. I believe it’s not a situational issue of- oh well they are in a hurry. That behavior is probably consistent.

I have adaptive cruise control and lane assist. I just set the cruise control to 90 mph and fuck around on my phone til I get where I’m going.

I don't have an inflated opinion of myself, so I don't swerve in and out and speed. I try to get into the lane I need to be in and stay in it because you can't always rely on being able to change lanes a short distance before you need to. Exceptions for being behind a bus that stops and the side lane is clear. A lot of people just go into a lane with less traffic knowing you have to cut in front of a ton of people and merge. Not a fan of those who try to push and shove and throw their cars in front of others and force them to stop or crash. That's a very dishonorable way to drive.

What I fear is red light runners t-boning innocent people or jackasses swerving into oncoming traffic lane in order to pass a car. The head to head crashes seems too common here on single lane in one direction roads. Also scary are the retard drivers who speed and merge without even looking if cars are coming and basically making others watch out for them. There's a road here where even if you stop or yield to check for oncoming cars before merging, because of the poorly designed angle, it's very hard to see.

Drive defensively and like I’m invisible. Biker family taught me how to drive and ride. Try and go 5-10 mph faster, and keep to the left as much as possible. The faster I can get bad drivers behind me, the better.
I feel safer behind the bad drivers, especially the ones with very wide trucks or can't seem to drive straight. Some of the lanes here are very narrow, so not enough margin for error.

In Dallas people's driving style is wannabe NASCAR driver. They'll tailgate you even if there's an open lane on either side. Turn signal is a sign of weakness and an open invitation for drivers to cut you off. Switching lanes to get in front of other drivers insults their family honor. Yellow light means pedal to the metal going through the intersection. Speed limit is a suggestion as drivers usually go 15+ miles faster.

4a52655c4c81dc649df53a00d735696c.jpg
We call it Italia

Back