Driving Styles

I've never met a tailgater who want a complete abortion of a person

i use my turn signal every time I turn or change lanes. Because why wouldn't I? It takes no time, is easy and let's everyone around me know of my intention to turn. Again why wouldn't I? One of you non turn signal using heathens tell me why you don't...whyyyyy????

I was taught to drive defensively, never drive in a way that affects others and stick to the highway code, and I've tried to stick to my teachings as much as I can.

I generally don't speed, though I do stick to the speed limit, so I can creep over from time to time.

Interested to see how everyone here drives around, and why they choose to drive that way. I constantly find myself wondering why some people drive the way they do because it seems super risky with very little reward. Like people who swerve in and out of traffic so they can go 50 over on the highway, is it purely an adrenaline thing or do you just prefer to get places faster?

(A lot of this may only seem familiar to people who live in the US, but I’d love to hear how people on other countries drive too).

For me I’m fairly cautious, on residential and city streets I stick right at the speed limit. On the highway I’ll go 10-15 miles above and only use the far left lane if I’m passing someone. On the highway if anyone is ever on my ass I’ll simply get over and let them pass. However on city and residential areas it seems insane when people drive right up against my bumper when I’m going the speed limit (most of these people seem to be really young, and I live in a college town so it happens a lot!), especially if there’s no where for me to get over to let them pass.

I deliver and I'm usually very careful, take my time and safe but I have my moments. Changing lanes is always a problem in heavy traffic and for whatever reason, most people go a good 10-15 or more faster than they need to, especially in rain or heavy traffic. Anyway, I have a car with this huge blindspot on my right side so when i change lanes to my right, I miss stuff all the time, or even take too long looking for someone like i did the other night. I was on the highway and I was looking for someone in the next lane and the highway had a hard turn when I did it, damn near hit a car. I've been lucky and I have good days and bad days but I really wish I had a job where I wasn't driving. too many people these days and it seems to be getting worse and worse. I thought after summer it would slow down but it hasn't one bit.

I want to make this a "Diving" thread. Look at that Coyotes mouse dive jump!

I was taught to drive defensively, never drive in a way that affects others and stick to the highway code, and I've tried to stick to my teachings as much as I can.

I generally don't speed, though I do stick to the speed limit, so I can creep over from time to time.
i've found there's no way I can stick strictly to speed limits without getting a line behind me or people honking. If it says 25 i even see the cops going 40, on the highway, if it's super busy I'll go 65-68 just so I don't get these maniacs honking but like i tell my buddies kid, if you're driving all day, you can expect at least one little road rage or the like episode. People are just really unhappy and they can't express that everywhere so on the road it goes.

i've found there's no way I can stick strictly to speed limits without getting a line behind me or people honking. If it says 25 i even see the cops going 40, on the highway, if it's super busy I'll go 65-68 just so I don't get these maniacs honking but like i tell my buddies kid, if you're driving all day, you can expect at least one little road rage or the like episode. People are just really unhappy and they can't express that everywhere so on the road it goes.

I used to get that when heading to the staff car park. The road used to be a 40 but was reduced to a 30, so I went 30 and caused lines.

Bollocks to them. As soon as the speed limit goes past 30 they act slow and idiotic anyway.

lol at trying to understand the human condition.

People are just idiots. They do it cause they are dumb window lickers who think they are cool. Typically either dumb zoomers try hards or road ragers.
pretty much. I see them all the time, every so often I get the chance to see them pulled over a bit further up the road. Probably just as much attitude they give the trooper as they do their driving.

It's scary out there, you know many of them are drugged or drunk out of their minds at night. Last week we had some moron drive the wrong way at 90 and wrecked into another car, three lives lost because some moron can't control his drinking/drugging. Now, tell me what could be more selfish. You kill yourself is one thing, you put yourself in danger is one thing, but to put other people at risk without a care, not much more selfish than that.

I used to get that when heading to the staff car park. The road used to be a 40 but was reduced to a 30, so I went 30 and caused lines.

Bollocks to them. As soon as the speed limit goes past 30 they act slow and idiotic anyway.
well, there are places that mean those limits every bit and if you don't follow them you will get a ticket. Usually that can easily be ascertained by how the rest of the traffic is driving. If I'm on a road i'm not familiar with and they are all going 25 for what seems like no reason, I know that area is heavily patrolled so I do the same. If I get a line honking at me, I generally just speed up. The fucked up thing is that there are always roads that you're unfamiliar with and the people who are on them everyday get irate with you if you're not zooming throughout all these arterials like AJ Foyt.

well, there are places that mean those limits every bit and if you don't follow them you will get a ticket. Usually that can easily be ascertained by how the rest of the traffic is driving. If I'm on a road i'm not familiar with and they are all going 25 for what seems like no reason, I know that area is heavily patrolled so I do the same. If I get a line honking at me, I generally just speed up. The fucked up thing is that there are always roads that you're unfamiliar with and the people who are on them everyday get irate with you if you're not zooming throughout all these arterials like AJ Foyt.

That's how I see it. I'm not afraid of speed, but you never know who is hiding with a speed camera. I'm not going to risk losing my licence or get a fine over a couple of minutes.

Just do you man. It's you who gets fucked if you're caught speeding, not the bloke honking his horn behind you.

That's how I see it. I'm not afraid of speed, but you never know who is hiding with a speed camera. I'm not going to risk losing my licence or get a fine over a couple of minutes.

Just do you man. It's you who gets fucked if you're caught speeding, not the bloke honking his horn behind you.
maniacs out here no matter what. Literally cannot go the speed limit without problems. I just try to go the speed of everyone else or maybe a bit under. I would never say i don't make mistakes, I screw up all the time, which is why I recognize the need for caution.

I feel safer behind the bad drivers, especially the ones with very wide trucks or can't seem to drive straight. Some of the lanes here are very narrow, so not enough margin for error.
I like to keep my focus going forward, and how to navigate what’s further ahead. Me watching them takes my attention away from all other things. Guess that’s why I want to leave them behind and keep pressing forward at a higher speed than them. They could also still hit something or someone else, and have the aftermath still affect me.

Whatever makes you feel more confident and keeps you safe is always a good strategy though.

I like to keep my focus going forward, and how to navigate what’s further ahead. Me watching them takes my attention away from all other things. Guess that’s why I want to leave them behind and keep pressing forward at a higher speed than them. They could also still hit something or someone else, and have the aftermath still affect me.

Whatever makes you feel more confident and keeps you safe is always a good strategy though.

I try to watch everyone, if I see someone going 40 on the highway or 90, I try to steer clear, if someone is tailgating me, I move over and let them have their way. I'm not trying to prove anything, just trying to get where I'm going.

I try to watch everyone, if I see someone going 40 on the highway or 90, I try to steer clear, if someone is tailgating me, I move over and let them have their way. I'm not trying to prove anything, just trying to get where I'm going.
Whatever works for you. Many ways to skin a cat. Just trying to have the least amount possible of vehicles around me, as I’ve never been involved in an incident I have caused. Works for me.

Whatever works for you. Many ways to skin a cat. Just trying to have the least amount possible of vehicles around me, as I’ve never been involved in an incident I have caused. Works for me.
there is a thing as being overcautious and I know I'm guilty of it. I never take the safety for granted. I can't be obsessed by all the things that can go wrong otherwise, I can't do my job.

Slow in town and fast on the highway crew checking in. Not to toot my own horn (because that'd be road rage) but I'm probably the best and most humble driver in history.

My style:

• Usually no more than 5 miles above the speed limit. On highways like the Jersey Turnpike for example where everyone is driving like a Nascar race, I break the rule... just don't go faster than the pack.
  • I leave ample space between me and the car ahead of me. 3 Mississippi at minimum! I also don't do that crap where I'm in a line of 5+ cars tailgating one another (that's stupid).
  • I get in the left lane to pass. If a car is tailgating me, I move over and get back to the middle.
  • If there are 3 lanes I stick to the middle. I don't go in the left unless I want to pass. I don't go to the right unless I want to exit.
  • If it's snowing badly I go as slow as I feel comfortable... everyone else be damned!
  • If you signal, they speed up and don't let you in. If you don't signal at all, you broke the law. I signal right before I'm merging in and it's too late for the car in the lane to "deny" me (and obviously ample time for them to slow down).
  • One of my cars is very tinted so I roll them down as I drive in residential or low speed neighborhoods.
Following those rules, I can afford to be lax on others. I am still a safe driver though. 1) I don't want to deal with cops. 2) The road is more dangerous than people tend to give it credit for.

I've never really understood those who speed. If you are going on a 70 mile trip, going 70 instead of 60 will get you there 10 minutes sooner if you don't get caught. If you get caught you will lose at least that 10 minutes, if not more. Then you have the ticket and higher insurance costs. Is it really worth it? Most trips are much shorter so there is less time to save.

Idk but I want a supercharger on my 4Runner. That thing is great but super heavy I can barely push it passed 65.

My style:

• Usually no more than 5 miles above the speed limit. On highways like the Jersey Turnpike for example where everyone is driving like a Nascar race, I break the rule... just don't go faster than the pack.
  • I leave ample space between me and the car ahead of me. 3 Mississippi at minimum! I also don't do that crap where I'm in a line of 5+ cars tailgating one another (that's stupid).
  • I get in the left lane to pass. If a car is tailgating me, I move over and get back to the middle.
  • If there are 3 lanes I stick to the middle. I don't go in the left unless I want to pass. I don't go to the right unless I want to exit.
  • If it's snowing badly I go as slow as I feel comfortable... everyone else be damned!
  • If you signal, they speed up and don't let you in. If you don't signal at all, you broke the law. I signal right before I'm merging in and it's too late for the car in the lane to "deny" me (and obviously ample time for them to slow down).
  • One of my cars is very tinted so I roll them down as I drive in residential or low speed neighborhoods.
Following those rules, I can afford to be lax on others. I am still a safe driver though. 1) I don't want to deal with cops. 2) The road is more dangerous than people tend to give it credit for.
no matter how many lives are lost driving, seems it doesn't change how people drive. Just today, some car wrecked right into a bus. Now, I know city busses go by a different set of rules and they get away with them but how do you miss a bus? It's relatively rare that busses have those types of incidences considering how many of them they are and how much traffic there is. My buddy drives a bus for the city, i taught him to drive and he was about as bad a driver as could be when he started, everytime I hear about some bus crash I worry it's him. But, it couldn't be, he's such a pussy that he'd text me within ten minutes if it was him.

Back