Media Du Plessis says he's likely to wait out for months, looking for legacy of bringing UFC to Africa

It's not like the UFC are just gonna pull out a South Africa event out of their asses in 6 months, so just fucking defend it anywhere while pressuring for this to happen.
That's exactly what it sounds like he is doing. He hasn't been asked to defend his belt yet. Everyone in here seems to he upset over nothing.

He just won the belt. Sitting out a couple months then fighting in the summer or something would be the norm for what champions do. He is right, now that he's the champ, he doesn't have to take unnecessary risks.
So many in this thread seem outraged over nothing. He hasn't been asked to defend his belt. He's just being honest and saying as a rising contender he was more willing to fight compromised which everyone with decent intelligence should understand.

That's exactly what it sounds like he is doing. He hasn't been asked to defend his belt yet. Everyone in here seems to he upset over nothing.

It's the culmination of champions taking too long to defend and (now that I've heard the interview) TS misquoting DDP and making it sound much worst than what he said.

TS: Du Plessis says he's likely to wait out for months...

Du Plessis: ...if i have to wait it out for a couple of months...

So yeah, not much to see here indeed.

Last edited:
It's the culmination of champions taking to long to defend and (now that I've heard the interview) TS misquoting DDP and making it sound much worst than what he said.

TS: Du Plessis says he's likely to wait out for months...

Du Plessis: ...if i have to wait it out for a couple of months...

So yeah, not much to see here indeed.
Yeah, if you read what he is saying, he hasn't even been asked to fight. He's just saying he wants to fight in Africa and doesn't know the extent of his injuries yet and is less willing to fight while injured as champion than he was as a rising contender. Basically just common sense stuff and being genuine about his thoughts.

This makes me miss the attitudes that fighters like Wanderlei and Chuck had.

Chuck didn't have to fight Babalu the first time. He was already the number 1 contender. He took the fight because he just wanted to stay busy.

Wand just wanted to fight everyone.

This makes me miss the attitudes that fighters like Wanderlei and Chuck had.

Chuck didn't have to fight Babalu the first time. He was already the number 1 contender. He took the fight because he just wanted to stay busy.

Wand just wanted to fight everyone.
Did you read the OP other than the title? He hasn't even been offered a fight and isn't saying he's going to sit out a long time either.

He needs to make up his damn mind. He wants to be on 300? He wants to wait for an event in a country on a continent the UFC has never been to?

I still don’t think it’s happening for a year, or two. A lot of logistics go into something like this. You’d think there will be big local interest. But that’s not the only consideration. A SA champ could speed things up, but I don’t expect it to.

Bottom line though. He needs to make up his mind and not talk about things like 300 if he’s not totally committed to it.

I can understand taking a break after a tough fight like that; turning it around that quickly shouldn't be an expectation. That said, I hope he doesn't take TOO long away from the Octagon.

Fuck off, just defend the damn belt.

WTF is this with people getting the title then immediately turning into divas?

Say what you like abut Strickland, the fucker just likes to fight and would always stay active.
Adesanya was extremely active as champ too. Hopefully Dricus follows their example.

I'm not expecting Dricus to come anywhere near Adesanya's number of title defences.

Not sure what it is about DDP, but people cheer him on to sit out and consider it like a middle finger to the UFC. Some reason everyone takes his side blindly. He's not too inactive, I just think as a fan you'd be excited for champs ready to jump in as soon as possible.

He just won the belt. Sitting out a couple months then fighting in the summer or something would be the norm for what champions do. He is right, now that he's the champ, he doesn't have to take unnecessary risks.
That is not a couple of months.

The UFC had Ngannou, Usman, and Izzy as champions all at the same time and made no effort to do UFC Africa. They won't now either. They also had Zhang v Yan and made no effort to do UFC China. They typically break into new markets with a fight night and at their own pace. DDP becoming champion isn't going to change their plans.

All these fighter get shit on before their title shot, then they all repay DW with his type of bullshit once they get the belt. I don’t blame any of them.

1.Get the belt
2. sit out and marinate for a bit… as is custom
3. repeat

So many in this thread seem outraged over nothing. He hasn't been asked to defend his belt. He's just being honest and saying as a rising contender he was more willing to fight compromised which everyone with decent intelligence should understand.
The only thing people in this thread are upset about is how DDP is already expecting the princess treatment.

Back