Du Plessis vs Izzy reminds me of..

RDA was never the big money fight...

Are you saying Strickland is going to KO Izzy and Dricus is going to be selling millions of PPVs?...

<{fry}>
I didn’t even read the second half of your post I just saw an astute comparison

but do you think that it'll be against izzy before he moves up to 205? Not saying he won't get a shot, just might not be the big money shot

As a contender it wouldn't be a big money shot regardless, since he's not getting points.

Du Plessis is probably on his 2nd contract right now and would renegotiate an extension with higher show money ahead of any title shot. UFC like to use it as an opportunity to tie down talent before they break through. Big Frank rejecting that was an outlier

I feel like DuPlessis is another one of those bubble fighters - the stars aligned and he has strung together a couple of nice wins, but I get the impression that his skills are not truly elite and he is now headed for rough waters. And I say this despite having grown to really dislike man-child Adesanya.

The beef is also all In izzys head. Ddp doesn't care if its izzy or not. It's the title fight he wants and will get. He just beat the consensus best fighter outside of the champ by stoppage in the second round.
He's next

I could definitely see that.

I think he's next if everything was fair but this is prize fighting and not steppin up may have lowered his stock with the current champ. Izzy definitely is trying to cash out and strickland/khazmat may have a bigger payout

DDP definitely made the safest choice but we've seen that backfire plenty of times before.

What if izzy loses to someone else? Or if DDP ends up having to take another fight because the champ is fighting other challengers?

I don't he he made a mistake in raising his odds to perform at his absolute best in his first title fight but I do think he made a mistake in letting this specific opportunity pass bye. The tension was building up to be Chael vs Anderson level, maybe even bigger. Especially if he were to finish izzy. His stock would've skyrocketed imo.

Now izzy is moving on. That type of money might not come back around.

So what exactly happened with DDP and his title shot?? I thought he would have been next in line after beating Whitaker. But it seems it's Izzy vs Strickland.

Was a time thing where the fight was too soon?

I feel like DuPlessis is another one of those bubble fighters - the stars aligned and he has strung together a couple of nice wins, but I get the impression that his skills are not truly elite and he is now headed for rough waters. And I say this despite having grown to really dislike man-child Adesanya.

Thats probably why he needs a full camp and passed up the biggest fight of his life because his foot is sore

Conor is a once in a generation/lifetime celebrity. No one is going to match his popularity or commercial success any time soon.

I mean, in MMA? Maybe. Lifetime is a long time .

Pretty sure he’s not a Mike Tyson or Michael Jordan level star

I could definitely see that.

I think he's next if everything was fair but this is prize fighting and not steppin up may have lowered his stock with the current champ. Izzy definitely is trying to cash out and strickland/khazmat may have a bigger payout

DDP definitely made the safest choice but we've seen that backfire plenty of times before.

What if izzy loses to someone else? Or if DDP ends up having to take another fight because the champ is fighting other challengers?

I don't he he made a mistake in raising his odds to perform at his absolute best in his first title fight but I do think he made a mistake in letting this specific opportunity pass bye. The tension was building up to be Chael vs Anderson level, maybe even bigger. Especially if he were to finish izzy. His stock would've skyrocketed imo.

Now izzy is moving on. That type of money might not come back around.
I think ddp just believes in himself that much its a non issue. Maybe he earned the number 1 contender fight a little fast due to the " beef" but he's taken the spot emphatically now.
It's not like ddp can just beat Rob then end up at the back of the line fighting low ranks.the only scenario I see it not happening / him having to take one more fight would be if somehow Sean wins. Therefore izzy likely has a rematch clause.
We'll see. As much as I want to see the fight, as a ddp fan I see it as a smart decision. If he loses the izzy fight he likely doesn't get another shot for a long time.
Always best to put your best foot forward.
Izzy , although obviously he has some clout in the ufc is not the boss and doesn't get the definitive say in who is next

This situation is personal for Izzy, he's not gonna move up to 205 and forget about DDP. He WANTS the fight. Khamzat sneaking in is a true possibility, but I presume the UFC will make every move possible and work every angle to make sure Izzy/Dricus is next. Everyone was talking after that rant in the cage, both Izzy and Dricus were all over the media that next week after. Interest in that fight is too high, and this the kind of watershed fight that gains them massive interest in Africa, a place in which the UFC would like a real footprint but has been unable to make happen, logistically.

Unless one of them dies, this fight is going down.

I think ddp just believes in himself that much its a non issue. Maybe he earned the number 1 contender fight a little fast due to the " beef" but he's taken the spot emphatically now.
It's not like ddp can just beat Rob then end up at the back of the line fighting low ranks.the only scenario I see it not happening / him having to take one more fight would be if somehow Sean wins. Therefore izzy likely has a rematch clause.
We'll see. As much as I want to see the fight, as a ddp fan I see it as a smart decision. If he loses the izzy fight he likely doesn't get another shot for a long time.
Always best to put your best foot forward.
Izzy , although obviously he has some clout in the ufc is not the boss and doesn't get the definitive say in who is next

I respect it. Really nothing wrong with protecting your brand at all cost at the end of the day. I just really wanted to see that one next. Definitely a High risk, high reward type of situation.

This situation is personal for Izzy, he's not gonna move up to 205 and forget about DDP. He WANTS the fight. Khamzat sneaking in is a true possibility, but I presume the UFC will make every move possible and work every angle to make sure Izzy/Dricus is next. Everyone was talking after that rant in the cage, both Izzy and Dricus were all over the media that next week after. Interest in that fight is too high, and this the kind of watershed fight that gains them massive interest in Africa, a place in which the UFC would like a real footprint but has been unable to make happen, logistically.

Unless one of them dies, this fight is going down.

Do you think it'll keep the same steam after these press conferences with strickland? I could see Sean talkin some smack that might get some headlines and overshadow the DDP situation.

Izzy is playing games and DDP needs to be smart. But Izzy can't really sell that Strickland is the right matchup so he just looks retardedd right now

Unless your Colby "Cold Sore" Covington, how many title shots do most fighters actually earn?? Got to make the most of your chance, make it count - you may not earn another one.

If DDP gets passed up would he have been better off fighting for a title compromised??

Do you think it'll keep the same steam after these press conferences with strickland? I could see Sean talkin some smack that might get some headlines and overshadow the DDP situation.
I think Izzy blatantly throwing out the race card is enough for people to maintain a degree of interest. That made what might have already been bad blood completely toxic, and people eat that shit up. DDP not taking the fight immediately ensures Izzy gets more time to talk. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he starches Strickland and they have Dricus cageside, ready for another back and forth in the cage and more drama. Might end up being a blessing for the UFC that Dricus turned down the fight, as far as sales go. If Izzy wins easily, this fight should be a go right around, oh, the beginning of November...when they happen to be holding a big event in the sport's mecca of the world, MSG. And Jones and Izzy being two of the most well known and talked about fighters on the roster...makes sense if they wanted to throw Izzy/DDP on what should already be a stacked card, especially since there is a degree of backlash from the fanbase over Jones fighting Stipe rather than Pavlovich.

Of course, anything is possible here, but this line of thinking seems sensible to me.

So what exactly happened with DDP and his title shot?? I thought he would have been next in line after beating Whitaker. But it seems it's Izzy vs Strickland.

Was a time thing where the fight was too soon?
Too soon. Says he's injured but who knows? It was always a tall ask. Rob wouldn't commit to fighting izzy then had he won either due to the timing and that's his home country. Maybe it was always destined to be the strickmeister

Reactions: JKS
I respect it. Really nothing wrong with protecting your brand at all cost at the end of the day. I just really wanted to see that one next. Definitely a High risk, high reward type of situation.
Me too buddy. I feel like it will happen. Maybe even end of year. I'm not an izzy fan to be honest but I respect him a lot as a fighter. Not just his skill, he absolutely would get in there again this year. I've always appreciated his willingness to fight frequently.

Izzy is playing games and DDP needs to be smart. But Izzy can't really sell that Strickland is the right matchup so he just looks retardedd right now
What are you talking about? Just weeks ago people were clamoring for Strickland to fight Izzy if Whittaker wins and all of Stricklands cringe trash talk press conferences. Adesanya just giving the people what they want.

DDP not taking the fight immediately ensures Izzy gets more time to talk. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he starches Strickland and they have Dricus cageside, ready for another back and forth in the cage and more drama. Might end up being a blessing for the UFC that Dricus turned down the fight, as far as sales go.

I can definitely see that now that I think about it.

All depends on if Izzy still wants it. I wouldn’t be surprised if izzy switched that focus to khazmat if he finishes Costa.

Izzy could be ringside for that too and I feel like Khazmat is more game to build up the fight than DDP(promo wise).

Build up between izzy vs khazmat would be insane from both sides. I feel like izzy has to put in a lot more promo by himself with DDP to sell the fight.

But we shall see. DDP really shook up MW with that Whitaker finish

Back