Movies DUNE: PART TWO (Passes $600 Million Worldwide; Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen DUNE: PART TWO, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I re-watched the first one tonight.
I wanted to be caught up and refreshed on the plot, so when I take my dad to a matinee and have the inevitable two-hour conversion after we see it.
First one was pretty good.

Im watching it on cinemark DBOX which is like their imax

I loved the first one and have seen it more than once. But with Zendaya and Timothy it´s not even worth a look. I don´t get that hype about a girl with the same face no matter how the movie goes.
And she looks like externally controlled without her own will.
The cast would be awesome with some other actors in the lead roles.

Saw it in IMAX yesterday. So damn good and worth the wait.

Does anyone know if any future films are planned?
Yes, Dune:Messiah will more than likely be made by Denis. It's the second Dune book.

Am I the only one who thought part 1 was boring, visually bland and poorly paced?
I liked the film, but I think those are fair criticisms. Well, except for visually bland.

Yes, Dune:Messiah will more than likely be made by Denis. It's the second Dune book.

I liked the film, but I think those are fair criticisms. Well, except for visually bland.
The lack of color and depth is so difficult for me to enjoy. Just plain to me. Expansive? Sure? Bland? Yes.

It all just kinda of blends together. It suffers from being too dark while not having enough contrast to really see the detail.

Let me ask you, without thinking about it, what was the set piece you really remember from the first one?

The lack of color and depth is so difficult for me to enjoy. Just plain to me. Expansive? Sure? Bland? Yes.

It all just kinda of blends together. It suffers from being too dark while not having enough contrast to really see the detail.

Let me ask you, without thinking about it, what was the set piece you really remember from the first one?
I get what you're saying, but I'm wondering whether or not you saw it at home or at the movies. I can see the argument for you not finding the color schemes striking and a bit bland. The themes are definitely distinct planet to planet - Arrakis, Caladan, Geidi Prime, but within those places they stay much the same. It's a stylistic choice, and the reason I wouldn't necessarily highlight one set piece is because they were all consistently great imo. What it lacked in brightness it more than made up for with scale and expertly blending CGI with practical and beautiful locations. More than a few scenes were absolutely staggering to watch in IMAX, including the spice harvest getting eaten by the worm, and some of the most visually appealing cinema I have ever seen. You felt transported.

If you're going to give the second one a go, do yourself a favour and go watch it in IMAX. I'd honestly like to hear your feedback.

I get what you're saying, but I'm wondering whether or not you saw it at home or at the movies. I can see the argument for you not finding the color schemes striking and a bit bland. The themes are definitely distinct planet to planet - Arrakis, Caladan, Geidi Prime, but within those places they stay much the same. It's a stylistic choice, and the reason I wouldn't necessarily highlight one set piece is because they were all consistently great imo. What it lacked in brightness it more than made up for with scale and expertly blending CGI with practical and beautiful locations. More than a few scenes were absolutely staggering to watch in IMAX, including the spice harvest getting eaten by the worm, and some of the most visually appealing cinema I have ever seen. You felt transported.

If you're going to give the second one a go, do yourself a favour and go watch it in IMAX. I'd honestly like to hear your feedback.
While true I didn’t see on imax I feel like I’m just over the drab quality of recent cinema.

Totally different genre, but take Kill Bill. There is such a dynamic feel to that movie visually that you remember the crazy 88 set, the Lucy Liu set, the Hanzo Sushi set. It just felt more purposeful.

I also felt like the pacing and character development was so poor in Dune.

I didn’t care about any of them.

While true I didn’t see on imax I feel like I’m just over the drab quality of recent cinema.

Totally different genre, but take Kill Bill. There is such a dynamic feel to that movie visually that you remember the crazy 88 set, the Lucy Liu set, the Hanzo Sushi set. It just felt more purposeful.

I also felt like the pacing and character development was so poor in Dune.

I didn’t care about any of them.
That's completely fair, I'm just saying, it doesn't come close to seeing it at home. It's a totally different experience, on all levels. You wont get an experience like Dune 2 at IMAX pretty much anywhere else and currently it's sitting at 97 percent on Rottentomatoes, 9.2 on IMDB, 4.5 on Letterboxd. I'd go for the spectacle alone, but whatever floats your boat.

I loved the first one and have seen it more than once. But with Zendaya and Timothy it´s not even worth a look. I don´t get that hype about a girl with the same face no matter how the movie goes.
And she looks like externally controlled without her own will.
The cast would be awesome with some other actors in the lead roles.
Agree that Zendya isn't that great. Timothy is actually one of the really good younger actors out there though.

Just got home from the movie. Was a bit slow at the start but the last hour was phenomenal.

Great movie over all. 8.5/10

Back