Media Dustin Poirier says he would put money on Max Holloway to beat Justin Gaethje

Do you agree?

• Total voters
Max better hope his chin holds up because it's going to be tested and he will need to take several big shots from one of the hardest hitters in LW history to have a shot at winning.

His chin and... his legs.... <6>

He has a decent chance, but he isnt a proper LW imo, tall enough but his frame isnt made for LW, too skinny and doesnt pack the punch the elite LW have.

Max is a small lightweight.

He looked obviously undersized against Poirier. If you gave Max a year to put the mass on in a smart and thoughtful way?

Sure. He could fill out and look like a lightweight. Aside from that he's a tall stringbean at featherweight. He will be out muscled in this fight zero doubt about it.

Apparently he has known about this fight for a while and has been preparing for a while. How long exactly I don't know though. But he himself apparently said it was the difference between now and then against Poirier.

When have I underestimated gaethje? I picked gaethje against ferguson, chandler, Fiziev, and poirier. I didn't pick him against charles. I've been good at picking gaethje fights.

What I see is gaethje's biggest weakness being pressure fighters that push a pace he can't maintain and guys who go to the body -- max is one of the best at both of those aspects. I'm not even a big max fan, but I think this is a decent stylistic match up for him if he doesn't get knocked out in the first 7 minutes, and judging from max's chin, I'm pretty sure he'll be able to survive the early power of gaethje.

Everyone who has beat gaethje pushed a pace that gaethje couldn't keep, which made gaethje sloppy and make mistakes and slow down. That is Max's entire game....

What do you think about Max not defending leg kicks though?

Edit: NVM, already read what you think in another post of yours.

Max doesn't hit hard enough, I think Justin will destroy with leg kicks then KO him.

Apparently he has known about this fight for a while and has been preparing for a while. How long exactly I don't know though. But he himself apparently said it was the difference between now and then against Poirier.

If you follow Max on Instagram, its obvious he doesn't look any different. It probably takes a year to grow into a weight class change when you are undersized.

When Dustin moved up, he fought CDF (coming off a loss and with two UFC fights to his name) and then Yancy Mederos. Unranked guys who never fought elite competition.

Max is moving up without much time to prepare his body and fighting a ranked/elite opponent. Really tough thing to pull off.

Gaethje has better boxing than people give him credit for, He's not just a brain dead brawler like he used to be. I think Max's defense and career are going to catch up with him badly in this one.

Max beat up Aldo twice and you guys scared for him fighting homer simpson lol

I'm worried for Max in this fight honestly. The guy has taken enough head trauma, and he's about to go up against one of the most vicious fighters ever.

Me too. But we’re talking about one of the only guys in MMA who hasn’t even been knocked down. That is incredible.

Max has great hands and dog eat dog tenacity. But Gaethje has so much more power. I expect Gaethje to TKO Max.

Max beat up Aldo twice and you guys scared for him fighting homer simpson lol

Also was from a different era in the sport. Note how he went down to bantamweight without any trouble.

If you follow Max on Instagram, its obvious he doesn't look any different. It probably takes a year to grow into a weight class change when you are undersized.

When Dustin moved up, he fought CDF (coming off a loss and with two UFC fights to his name) and then Yancy Mederos. Unranked guys who never fought elite competition.

Max is moving up without much time to prepare his body and fighting a ranked/elite opponent. Really tough thing to pull off.

Oh yeah, I don't give him much chance either. Just relaying what he himself had stated. I really doubt he made the proper adjustments too. Most fighters moving up say it takes much longer for their bodies to really settle into their new weight class. That's why Jon wanted 3 years of prep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back