Media Edgar wants a title shot.

As an Edgar fan he should earn it, unlike Jacare fans, still think he deserves a shot...fuck it, Edgar just as deserving.

He is probably the best person, but earning it after a loss is a bit much (EDIT: oops, he's not coming off an Ortega loss, he beat Cub again, my mistake).

Then again, meritocracy never stopped Dana from handing out title fights before. I like it! (EDIT: he deserves it as much as anyone right now).
sure. I like him and there isn't any order anymore. good enough

Dream scenario would be an all-FW card, so that if anyone is injured, there are replacements ready, and if everyone is healthy, then a clear next contender emerges.

Something like:

Max-Frankie
Yair-Zabit
Aldo-Volk
Ortega-Bektic

Edgar likely rematches Ortega next for his next bout,if he can avenge that then a ttileshot would be fair.

lol @ revisionist history. What an awful, shit post.

Stephens would have gotten a TS if he beat Aldo literally just 1 fight ago. Cub is still a top 10 fighter. Yair sits right outside the top 10 and was an up and coming prospect.

Aside from Aldo and Ortega, anyone who has been a top contender in the past 5 years that Edgar has faced, he's beat. This is how he has earned his shots.

And you're reading comprehension skills are pretty awful since I've posted like 9 times itt and have said Volk deserves a TS over Aldo, but to say Frankie has done nothing or just beat "gatekeepers and fighters on the decline" is laughable.
My reading skills must be on par with your (note the correct usage) grammar skills. Where on earth did I say Frankie's done nothing? I'm simply stating that he earned a title shot against Aldo for the interim belt, and came up short and has, based on his fight with Ortega and other recent fights no right to claim he should get another one should their be a single viable alternative. Cub's a fringe top 10 fighter and is on a downward curve, Yair sits outside the top 10 currently, his best win prior to fighting Frankie was what Andre Fili, or a shopworn BJ Penn? Even if I cede the point that you can count Stephens as a contender instead of a gatekeeper, albeit an exciting one, which I think is generous, Frankie's beaten one high level contender since beating Mendes in 2015. Including his fight with Aldo he's gone 3-2 since.

My reading skills must be on par with your (note the correct usage) grammar skills. Where on earth did I say Frankie's done nothing? I'm simply stating that he earned a title shot against Aldo for the interim belt, and came up short and has, based on his fight with Ortega and other recent fights no right to claim he should get another one should their be a single viable alternative. Cub's a fringe top 10 fighter and is on a downward curve, Yair sits outside the top 10 currently, his best win prior to fighting Frankie was what Andre Fili, or a shopworn BJ Penn? Even if I cede the point that you can count Stephens as a contender instead of a gatekeeper, albeit an exciting one, which I think is generous, Frankie's beaten one high level contender since beating Mendes in 2015. Including his fight with Aldo he's gone 3-2 since.

His loss to Ortega was supposed to be a title shot..so as of about a year ago he was worthy of one. Since then he has the win over Cub.

Do i think he deserves a shot over Volk? No. But if Alex loses vs Aldo, who's left? Aldo for a 3rd time? There's really no other viable option besides Frankie.

Frankie should fight Moicano though

He should try to fill in for Aldo against Volkanovski, no way is he getting a title shot right now with Ortega and Aldo being ranked ahead of him. Edgar needs more wins.
Fill in for Aldo? Is Jose out of the fight with Volk?

If Volk beats Aldo the shot is solely his. If Jose wins idk wtf happens. He rides off into retirement leaving the FW division in ashes to be rebuilt. Lots of young contenders. I like Zabit vs Frankie while Max heals and Moicano, Stephens and Volk bounce back. Maybe they do an unnecessary interim title for Aldo’s last fight. Max losing to Dustin and Jose butchering all the other contenders puts featherweight in a weird place.

Love the little streak Aldo is on but Volk is going to be a very tough fight for him at this stage in his career.

he's beat every top contender in the division that they have had him fight. This is why he deserves it.

He didn't beat Ortega, he has 2 losses to Aldo, he's lost his last 4 title fights, and he's on a 1 fight win streak. That's why I don't think he deserves it. Seems to be a nice guy, is certainly a great fighter. But I have no interest in Frankie getting unlimited title shots until he can win another title fight.

His loss to Ortega was supposed to be a title shot..so as of about a year ago he was worthy of one. Since then he has the win over Cub.

Do i think he deserves a shot over Volk? No. But if Alex loses vs Aldo, who's left? Aldo for a 3rd time? There's really no other viable option besides Frankie.

Frankie should fight Moicano though
This is the UFC, title shots increasingly have nothing to do with deserving otherwise one absolutely could argue Aldo's done more to deserve another title shot, only reason he won't get one is because of his prior history with Max. Even Moicano's met much of the same criteria as Edgar; win over Stephens, win over Cub. Zabit's also potentially one win from a title fight. If he fights and beats Ortega you could argue he would deserve a shot more than Frankie. Max after that beating will need some time off. Edgar should fight in the interim instead of begging for a title shot.

He held up the LW division for a few years with instant rematches and he even wanted another against Benson after he lost twice. If anything this is Karma. If he really wants a title shot, prove it with another win. I like Edgar but he needs to get real, the longer you stay on the sidelines you will get surpassed by fighters who are constantly fighting specially in MMA. Look at Adensanya, Conor, Max. The more you fight the more you are warranted. Edgar doesn't deserve it.

He didn't beat Ortega, he has 2 losses to Aldo, he's lost his last 4 title fights, and he's on a 1 fight win streak. That's why I don't think he deserves it. Seems to be a nice guy, is certainly a great fighter. But I have no interest in Frankie getting unlimited title shots until he can win another title fight.

Aldo was champ not contender, and ya, loss to Ortega, in a fight that was supposed to be for a title. Since then he's fought and beat Cub.

All the other rising contenders in the division have lost recently outside of Volk. Him beating Aldo clearly makes him #1 contender to it. I don't think Frankie is ahead of Volk even without the Aldo fight fwiw, but, Frankie isn't far away from a TS either. He was literally going to be given one a year ago and is 1-1 since. And his loss is vs another top 145 lb fighter in Ortega so its not as if he lost to some can.

Also, I don't get where people get this "unlimited" title shots from. He has fought as a contender for a title 4 times in the past 9 years. BJ, Bendo (in a rematch of a close first fight), and Aldo twice
(the first one was the least "deserving" of a TS but to suggest it was outlandish is nonsense).

After his move down to FW, he's fought basically anyone who was a top contender in the division and outside of Ortega, beat them all. He's not getting gifted title shots, he's earned his.

But as I've stayed multiple times itt, he should fight someone else, unless Aldo beats Volk. Then idk what they will do but I still would want him to take a fight while Max recovers.

Aldo was champ not contender, and ya, loss to Ortega, in a fight that was supposed to be for a title. Since then he's fought and beat Cub.

All the other rising contenders in the division have lost recently outside of Volk. Him beating Aldo clearly makes him #1 contender to it. I don't think Frankie is ahead of Volk even without the Aldo fight fwiw, but, Frankie isn't far away from a TS either. He was literally going to be given one a year ago and is 1-1 since. And his loss is vs another top 145 lb fighter in Ortega so its not as if he lost to some can.

Also, I don't get where people get this "unlimited" title shots from. He has fought as a contender for a title 4 times in the past 9 years. BJ, Bendo (in a rematch of a close first fight), and Aldo twice
(the first one was the least "deserving" of a TS but to suggest it was outlandish is nonsense).

After his move down to FW, he's fought basically anyone who was a top contender in the division and outside of Ortega, beat them all. He's not getting gifted title shots, he's earned his.

But as I've stayed multiple times itt, he should fight someone else, unless Aldo beats Volk. Then idk what they will do but I still would want him to take a fight while Max recovers.

Unlimited title shots is clearly hyperbole, I just don't want to see Edgar, Gus, or Holly in title shots. After a while it's just not interesting unless you're a fan of the person. I just don't like how once you get a title shot and lose somehow the rode to another title shot gets significantly shorter. Now I don't think his road should be as ridiculous to the streak he had to go on to get the 2nd FW title fight. But I also don't think it should be a 1 fight win streak over Cub nor should he have been getting a title shot for a 2 fight win streak over Stephens and Yair.

If he was say on a 3-4 fight win streak with a top 5 guy someone in there I'd still boo him, but I could accept that. But him getting it for a win over Cub just doesn't sit right. Seems less of him truly deserving it right now and more like a career achievement award. Which would be cool, if he hadn't already had 2 FW title shots.

Idk. Frankie is one of my favorites but I just dont think he deserves the next shot. Maybe him vs Zabit for #1 contender?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back