Emmett's Team On If He'll Appeal Tonight's Loss: "Absolutely"

I saw an illegal knee.

Has there ever been a fighter who successfully appealed a loss?

Leandro Silva vs Drew Dober got overturned. Silva had Dober in a loose guillotine when Dober was in half guard. Dober wasnt in any danger and did not tap but the ref just stopped the fight due to "submission" and Silva originally "won".

Even when Stephens was bringing the knee back it hit the back of Emmets head. He should appeal and get a rematch should the appeal be granted

Are you saying that fighters don't take strikes to the back of the head all the time? Usually they get a warning if that. If this was turned to a NC, then countless more fighters should be.

And knee didn't even land. One of his hands was up when it was thrown. I just don't see the controversy.

Questionable borderline elbows do happen somewhat often.

I'm saying this is way more than that.
This doesn't happen all the time at all. It just doesn't.
This was a clear and powerful unobstructed elbow to the exact middle of the back of the head.
Clearly it had an effect on Emmets possible ability to panic wrestle and maybe recover.
Add the other questionable elbow and the glancing knee and you got a prime example of a NC.

Legalize all knees

In theory yes. In practice MMA is always walking the boundary of being banned again, so the appearance of brutality is important. Is a knee to the head of a downed opponent more damaging than a knee, kick or a hard punch to a standing opponent? Probably not. Does it look worse? Yup, so it'll remain banned, though I can see refs considering them a grey area.

A much bigger medical problem is blows to the back of the head. There's far less protection there, and a number of vital brain areas (medulla, midbrain) that control things like breathing, heart pulse which can result in instant death if they're damaged. The refs shouldn't be playing around with those - they should be instant DQ.

It doesn't matter. Knee to downed opponent isn't significantly different from knee to standing opponent. It's a silly rule that should be ignored.

What I don't understand is Stephens saying Dan told him it was legal beforehand and that he threw it on purpose. Regardless of whether it hit or not, Was it illegal or not ? Sounds to me Dan made a mess?

he got beat fair and square the knee barely touched only a pussy would complain about this shit knowin the knee had 0 effect on the outcome. fucking team alpha male cry babies. im guessin he wants an immediate rematch like Cody does

Elbows were illegal also the knee, even if it didn't fully impact. With a better ref (not that there are so many) the result should be other.

Even when Stephens was bringing the knee back it hit the back of Emmets head. He should appeal and get a rematch should the appeal be granted

He broke his orbital bone in 3 places. UFC isn't going to shelf Stephens a year for a rematch.

They want it to become NC and force a rematch. If they can prove it why not.

I do not blame them for trying, there is no down side, but the history of challenging fight results is not on their side and IMO their case is weak at best.

Last edited:
Elbow to the back of the head, and a knee to the head when both knees were on the ground. 2 illegal strikes that could easily have dazed him. I see nothing wrong with the appeal.

The only illegal shot was the groin shot Emmet landed in round one.

Weird to me all the people so sue sure the knee didn’t do anything. I’ve seen grazing punches wobble a guy. The punch that rocked Stipe was a soft jab. Is it likely that it anything? No but I’m bot 100% on that.

Back