Economy Energy Sec'y Tries To Take EV Road Trip To Promote "Green Energy," Turns Into Idiotic Disaster

Unless they make some massive breakthrough in battery technology, the limitation is always going to be weight, a battery is heavy and the more energy the more battery you need.

EVs won't ever be able to have great range on their own.
I believe in ten years the batteries of today will look like ancient technology, the amount of capital and research going into battery tech is incalculable, add to that the fact that many of the best young minds are flocking towards the new energy economy the future is bright on that front.

We have a gen one leaf and love it even though it's range is only 130 k , it seams every week another ev pops up in the neighborhood, even with what's available today they seem to be working for alot of people .

The whole point really, IMO.

Keep people contained locally, handicap their means of transport so they can't feasibly travel around much. If they kick off, switch off the power grid for a few days, teach them a lesson.

Thats right. The powers that be definitely could never, ever stop the importation of oil into the country. Gas is freedom, friends.

All this shit is so fucking stupid. They have new neighbourhoods with these retail districts in Canada that have super limited parking for gas cars and premium parking spots right in front of businesses for electric vehicles with chargers. You go into these areas and it's just gridlocked with people double parked everywhere and empty, dying businesses. They also didn't factor in that when someone with an EV do come, they are parked in these spots for hours charging whereas traditionally people would go to a store and leave. There are apartment buildings there and the idea is the people living there will go eat in the retaurants and shop at the stores, but the apartment dwellers commute to work every day and then come home in the evening and order food via delivery rather than walk downstairs so the restaurants are full of drivers waiting while double parked. Lmao.

- That part is hillarious. I'm a eco-chato and even i woundt trade a reliable Wolks Fusca for the most expensive EV.

Only thing I like about EV's is how quiet they are. It's still kind of trippy to have one come up on you in a parking lot, with nothing but the sound of the tread on pavement.

As for the story, it sounds about par for the course for the Biden Administration. They didn't even check the route before heading out.
they should produce some artificial sound, and that is made specifically for bystanders to notice.

lol I love Joe but I can't believe for one second there is a city in Europe that you can't leave without permission.

Not yet.... I believe the Oxford plan was floated to gauge reaction. As expected... there was shocking pushback.

I especially love the "Track you movements within the City" - lol... CCP level monitoring

FjNrhL7WIAAy0_w

Obviously not a full implementation. But as we've seen with COVID. Give politicians an inch and they'll take the entire football field

I remember hearing that EVs were about twice as heavy which seems to have been an exaggeration but regardless, EVs are significantly heavier than ICE vehicles of similar size and this produces negative externalities. This isn't even getting into the fact that the US electric grid is not prepared or on track to be able to power an all EV fleet of US vehicles.

No and that's part of the problem. Heavier vehicles means more wear and tear on roads, deadlier accidents, and more air pollution from tire particulates. Just because you don't care doesn't mean its a non-issue.

Electric trucks and big SUV models are atrocious. They aren't efficient. The Hummer EV has a battery that weighs 8,000 pounds. Just the battery. It has to carry that weight all the time.

I am for small efficient EV commuter cars and against electric trucks and SUVs.

I believe in ten years the batteries of today will look like ancient technology, the amount of capital and research going into battery tech is incalculable, add to that the fact that many of the best young minds are flocking towards the new energy economy the future is bright on that front.

I don't think we will ever reach that point because a lot of the energy that ICEs engines have isn't even stored in gasoline but in the oxygen that is in the air.

That's a lot of mass that you don't need to carry because air is virtually everywhere on the habitable surface of earth.

Another issue is that range isn't a big deal for most cars built, so even if there was a massive breakthrough in technology it would simply be used to make cars lighter in general rather than having an increased range.

IMO our world leaders are disconnected from the reality of your regular joe, ergo why they fail to understand people actual needs.

I don't think they said anything about permanent lockdowns. If you look at my original tweet, I just said they want more control over you. The Australian stunt was under the guise of a "Health Emergency." Surprisingly, the Gov of New Mexico just issued an executive order to violate Constitutional Rights under the guise of a ... "Health Emergency." There's too much evidence to just dismiss it as crazy.

As far as how they do it, it's not just the 15 minute city. It's all the things combined with the 15min city. For example, once everyone is on a digital currency, they can turn off your ability to use your own money if you don't follow certain rules. If you can only drive an EV in your 15 minute city, they can turn off your EV via satellite (Starlink) if you drive somewhere you're not supposed to. The list goes on and on.

"The problem is that there is no limit to the level of control that the government could exert over people if money is purely electronic and provided directly by the government."

If you can unlock the range of an EV via satellite, you can restrict range or worse via satellite.

Ok but that's what Joe was saying and that's what I said was crazy.

Of course there are people who want more control over us that's something they always try. Yes, I know what NM tried to do but you're leaving out the part where everyone pretty much said she's a psycho and not even the police would enforce it. Kind of makes the NM point mute and actually is evidence that there is no conspiracy just a person here and there who tries to overreach.

As far as the rest of the stuff I don't worry about that kind of stuff. I've been hearing doom and gloom stories since I was in highschool over 20 years ago and none of that shit ever happens. I focus on myself and my family and things always workout in my favor. Well most of the time anyways.

Electric trucks and big SUV models are atrocious. They aren't efficient. The Hummer EV has a battery that weighs 8,000 pounds. Just the battery. It has to carry that weight all the time.

In a way we already have small, efficient EVs that work for short trips, they're called golf carts. At that scale the downsides of EV tech is outweighed by the upside which is why many places default to using electric carts rather than gas powered ones. In Florida they're allowed on roads where the speed limit is 35mph or less and can be driven by those 14 and over. In areas with faster speeds and denser traffic you could set up mixed use pathways that is shared by bikes and golf carts.

Even gas powered ones are probably a better alternative to actual cars, EV or ICE, because they are smaller, slower, and require less energy which makes them safer and less taxing on infrastructure and means they generate less tire particulate matter. If you could make them a viable alternative for short to medium trips by setting up a proper network of paths for them you could save a bunch of lives by upping the age limit for real cars to 21 so that teenagers get around in carts. Kids need to be able to get around but I'd rather they're behind the wheel of a cart rather than a full size car.

In a way we already have small, efficient EVs that work for short trips, they're called golf carts. At that scale the downsides of EV tech is outweighed by the upside which is why many places default to using electric carts rather than gas powered ones. In Florida they're allowed on roads where the speed limit is 35mph or less and can be driven by those 14 and over. In areas with faster speeds and denser traffic you could set up mixed use pathways that is shared by bikes and golf carts.

Even gas powered ones are probably a better alternative to actual cars, EV or ICE, because they are smaller, slower, and require less energy which makes them safer and less taxing on infrastructure and means they generate less tire particulate matter. If you could make them a viable alternative for short to medium trips by setting up a proper network of paths for them you could save a bunch of lives by upping the age limit for real cars to 21 so that teenagers get around in carts. Kids need to be able to get around but I'd rather they're behind the wheel of a cart rather than a full size car.

In my area we don't even have bike paths or lanes. Hardly any sidewalks. And I love to walk, so I'm in the dirt next to road at risk all the time.

In my area we don't even have bike paths or lanes. Hardly any sidewalks. And I love to walk, so I'm in the dirt next to road at risk all the time.
Same where I live. What some people don't get is that there isn't necessarily a "walking distance", the environment you're walking in is going to make a huge difference in whether you'll choose to walk and if so how far. Where I live there are no sidewalks which means you have to walk alongside high speed traffic with no shade and often through poorly maintained grass and weeds. Its unpleasant therefore the only people you see walking or biking are illegal immigrants.

Last edited:
Not yet.... I believe the Oxford plan was floated to gauge reaction. As expected... there was shocking pushback.

I especially love the "Track you movements within the City" - lol... CCP level monitoring

FjNrhL7WIAAy0_w

Obviously not a full implementation. But as we've seen with COVID. Give politicians an inch and they'll take the entire football field

Traffic restrictions have been a thing in megacities since fucking forever.

https://opinion.inquirer.net/110701/traffic-policies-megacities

Living in a megacity is hell and driving on them is worse.

Yes I think it's crazy. One is permanent lockdown of people in a city and the other was a temporary setup done to keep people who are sick away from people who are healthy. I thought what Australia did was stupid but it was temporary. Permanently telling people they can't leave the city without permission is on a different level.

Who's managing the city and deciding who gets to leave? What are the procedures for requesting to leave? Are you allowed to permanently leave or do you have to come back after a certain amount of time? How long is that time? Who manages tracking down the people who don't come back? Where are the check points setup?

Do you see how insane of a project it would be to manage something like this? That's why I don't believe it because it sounds like literal hell trying to implement something like that. On top of that what purpose does it even serve? Oh we stopped everyone in the city from leaving and we accomplished what exactly?
Ok but that's what Joe was saying and that's what I said was crazy.

Of course there are people who want more control over us that's something they always try. Yes, I know what NM tried to do but you're leaving out the part where everyone pretty much said she's a psycho and not even the police would enforce it. Kind of makes the NM point mute and actually is evidence that there is no conspiracy just a person here and there who tries to overreach.

As far as the rest of the stuff I don't worry about that kind of stuff. I've been hearing doom and gloom stories since I was in highschool over 20 years ago and none of that shit ever happens. I focus on myself and my family and things always workout in my favor. Well most of the time anyways.

It looks like we can both agree that people will always try to enforce more control over the population and it's up to us to push back and not allow it.

I'm curious to see how the tesla semi is feasible. I know that the cybertruck should have a 1000kwhr battery, 4x bigger than the model 3 if I recall, and that doesnt seem very efficient. will see soon enough, based on my placement in line, should have one in the first year

Where are you getting these numbers? I just Googled it and the Tesla Model 3 weighs about 1,000lbs more. So not double, more like 1/3rd more which is still significant. And you're ignoring the F150 example which shows that when you have the same vehicle in both and ICE and EV configurations the EV weighs more.

No its not, people care about vehicle weight even when you set aside EVs. The rise of SUVs on the road has correlated with more pedestrian and cyclist deaths and the weight of those vehicles is partly what makes them so dangerous. We should trend towards smaller, lighter vehicles and not bigger, heavier ones regardless of whether they're ICE or EV.

You can tell they care by how they ditched SUVs en mass when finding out they disproportionately kill kids...

Oh no wait they're almost 80% of purchases.

As far as cars are concerned we should just jump on what is pretty clearly the replacement technology. Batteries are going to take over because they're everywhere. I probably have 70 batteries on my property right now and one combustion engine. Pretty clear which one is going to win the battle to power cars to anyone with an above room temperature IQ. Especially with wireless electricity being a thing.

As an Australian I agree with most of your other points. Trains and being able to walk places is something we do a lot better than you guys and I enjoy that.

Actually I kinda bitch that our trains are sub par for such a highly developed country then be thankful they're still better than yours.

Has anyone ever called the police on a cabinet member before?

Unless they make some massive breakthrough in battery technology, the limitation is always going to be weight, a battery is heavy and the more energy the more battery you need.

EVs won't ever be able to have great range on their own.
I do think i had mentioned this elsewhere.

Have the EVs being tested in harsher climate conditions yet? its one thing if we get mild winters.

It would be a nightmare to be driving a EV during winter while heavy snow/blizzard is falling

You know they can do that already to your car...

Any car with a computer and internet access can be shutdown, EV, Hybrid or ICE.
Apparently nobodies ever heard my joke that I tell my Tesla friends.
I have two versions of it.
"What are you gonna do when Elon gets pissed and decides to wield his power and turns off all your cars in the middle of the day"
or
"What happens when some nameless idiot at Tesla spills his coffee on his computer and turns off all your cars for a week"

Not too absurd, we haven't really sprung into action setting up infrastructure.

Imagine this being written by some horse and buggy humping idiot about gasoline powered cars back in the day.

Energy Sec'y Tries To Take gas powered Road Trip To Promote "automobiles," Turns Into Idiotic Disaster.

Lolol cars btfo, not realistic. I'll stay with my horse and Buggy bro!

Back