Social Euthanasia Now Available for Drug Addiction in Canada

Orgasmo

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I knew they would expand the program to get rid of social undesirables when they loosen the medically assisted suicide rules last year. I wouldn't be surprised if doctors will actively recommend this to their patients with chronic conditions a few years down the road.
Canada will legalize medically assisted dying for people who are addicted to drugs next spring, in a move some drug users and activists are calling “eugenics.”

The country’s medical assistance in dying (MAID) law, which first came into effect in 2016, will be expanded next March to give access to people whose sole medical condition is mental illness, which can include substance use disorders. Before the changes take place, however, a special parliamentary committee on MAID will regroup to scrutinize the rollout of the new regulations, according to the Toronto Star.

Currently, people are eligible for MAID if they have a “grievous and irremediable medical condition”, such as a serious illness or disability, that has put them in an advanced state of irreversible decline and caused enduring physical or psychological suffering—excluding mental illness. Anyone who receives MAID must also go through two assessments from independent health care providers, among meeting other criteria.

The contentious idea of including people who are addicted to drugs is being discussed this week at a conference for the Canadian Society of Addiction Medicine in Victoria, British Columbia.

Sauce: Canada Will Legalize Medically Assisted Dying For People Addicted to Drugs (vice.com)

This is crazy. Do they at least offer these people free rehab and work after completion before attempting to just let them kill themselves? I have a niece who has been to rehab almost 5 times now maybe more. She just went back yesterday. I think she's kind of a fool cause every time she gets out she post all this nonsense on FB and then eventually relapses but I do give her credit for never giving up at least. Unfortunately she has two boys that she's basically never raised.

This is crazy. Do they at least offer these people free rehab and work after completion before attempting to just let them kill themselves? I have a niece who has been to rehab almost 5 times now maybe more. She just went back yesterday. I think she's kind of a fool cause every time she gets out she post all this nonsense on FB and then eventually relapses but I do give her credit for never giving up at least. Unfortunately she has two boys that she's basically never raised.

- Looks like something from a comic-book. How can they allow a person to just off herself like this?

As a former long time drug addict, I can't agree with this shit.
I understand tough love but this will open the wrong doors to be perfectly honest with you.

I quit on my own, and it was hardest thing I have ever done.
Had this option been there at my lowest I think I would've taken it, but only because I was broken at the time.

This sets the wrong precedent, and will give suicidal people a way out rather than the help that they need...or hell anyone that is feeling down for that matter.

I'd like to say again, that I don't agree with this at all.
Being terminally ill is one thing but this is crazy shit.

I knew they would expand the program to get rid of social undesirables when they loosen the medically assisted suicide rules last year. I wouldn't be surprised if doctors will actively recommend this to their patients with chronic conditions a few years down the road.

Sauce: Canada Will Legalize Medically Assisted Dying For People Addicted to Drugs (vice.com)

There's already bills being proposed to counter/curb MAID

The government is also allowing MPs a free vote howver they want not party lines
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...14966683-1ddc-5304-bf10-b17921a49d0d.amp.html

News: "the idea is being discussed".

Sherdog thread: "Now Available".

<Oku02>

I'll admit ignorance that I don't know what phase this is in and take your word for it. But, should this even be a consideration? I would say the slippery slope here would be pretty nuts, but this on its own is pretty nuts.

Back